Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Century Ride on a Diverge - Tips and Tricks?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-24-21, 09:59 AM
JB_Nicholson

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite E5 - 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have recently gotten really into cycling and decided to upgrade from my hybrid bike to a road bike. Knowing that some of the roads are tough in my area, and that I wanted off-road as an option - I got a Diverge Elite E5. While I'm sure I'll put lots of off-road miles on it, I also really want to do my first century ride this summer on paved road.

Is this a nutso goal on a gravel bike?
What tires would you recommend?
Any other modifications that I should make?
Has anyone attempted a road century on a Diverge?
What's the furthest most people have ridden a Diverge on a paved road and how did it go?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-21, 10:06 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You don't need to change anything, just ride your bike.
Old 02-24-21, 10:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
If you have knobbies or any slightly aggressive tread pattern, I'd change to slicks. The only thing knobs and large tread does is attach a chip seal road to your bike that wears you out quicker on smooth pavement.

My son road his first Century ride several years ago on a heavy Trek Marlin, he made it. But he bought a lighter road bike soon after. But I don't think your Diverge is heavy enough for weight to be an issue.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-24-21, 11:12 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Seems that the stock tires on those are Roadsport 35mms. If you've still got them or are running something similar, they'll be fine. For the road, you might prefer something narrower - 32 or 28 mm - but I've done plenty of road (or mostly road) centuries on a gravel bike with 35 mm tires.
Old 02-24-21, 11:24 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I've done multiple centuries on my Giant Revolt gravel bike, on gravel tires, and road tires. You'll have some extra effort pushing gravel tires on pavement for 100 miles, but it's totally doable. Go for it and have fun!
Old 02-24-21, 12:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Maybe upgrade the tires to something nice and supple. I like Vittoria Corsas, which come in 30mm width. That would be like rolling on a cloud.

Otherwise, no. Just ride your bike.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-24-21, 12:21 PM
JB_Nicholson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all! Appreciate the recommendations and the votes of confidence :-)
Old 02-24-21, 12:27 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by JB_Nicholson
What's the furthest most people have ridden a Diverge on a paved road and how did it go?
Why are you under the impression that this is some weird thing to try and do? Your Diverge is basically just a road bike with clearance for fairly wide tires.

Despite having skinny-tired road bikes, I frequently use my gravel bike as a road bike for variety's sake.

Anything that rolls well on the road.

I don't think it would be strange for someone to do a century ride on that bike's stock tires. They are fairly cheap for a $1900 bike, though, so I wouldn't blame someone for wanting to upgrade either.
If you like the width but just want something lighter and faster, a GravelKing slick in 700x35 is a decent option, or maybe a Challenge Strada Bianca Pro in 700x36 if you want something really nice.
If you want to reduce the tire size, there are loads of performance-oriented road tires available in 32mm and below, with the Continental GP5000 being a safe bet.
Old 02-24-21, 01:54 PM
JB_Nicholson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I imagined it was doable, but scoured the internet for people who had written anything about taking one on a long paved ride and could only find reviews that were gravel focused (though most noted it performed well on the road). Didn't seem to be anything out there about anyone who used them for distance but I'm relieved that it seems totally fine. I do think some nicer tires might be a late spring upgrade though after reading all these!
Old 02-24-21, 02:01 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
There was a time, decades ago now, where everyone owned one bike apiece and we rode them everywhere, and looking back we've learned that 50% of the time we were riding them in the wrong places. Gravel tires on the road; road tires in gravel. Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, etc, etc.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-24-21, 02:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Just don't do your tires or any other changes immediately before your big day. Try to get all that done a few hundred miles before if possible.

You might also be surprised what some people ride if this is a big event with 600 or more. I get amazed at how older people that appear more out of shape than me appear do better and go faster than I do.
Old 02-24-21, 02:35 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
There was a time, decades ago now, where everyone owned one bike apiece and we rode them everywhere, and looking back we've learned that 50% of the time we were riding them in the wrong places. Gravel tires on the road; road tires in gravel. Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, etc, etc.
But that was before the internet, so we didn't know we were doing it wrong. In other words, we were able to relax and have fun.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-24-21, 03:56 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
If you like the width but just want something lighter and faster, a GravelKing slick in 700x35 is a decent option, or maybe a Challenge Strada Bianca Pro in 700x36 if you want something really nice.
Oh another one for my list. Eye watering expensive though!
Old 02-24-21, 04:22 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
It's still a bike. Change the tires if you want. A friend of mine who was very fast did a charity ride century on his steel hardtail mountain bike with knobbies. He toyed with people on their road bikes.
Having done multiple 100 mile days on a 55 pound touring bike, and hilly centuries on that same bike unloaded, I can tell you anything will work.
Did lots of centuries on a 24 pound "crit bike" that was so brutal on rough roads it almost made me want to quit.
Your gravel bike is probably nicer than the bikes a lot of us rode centuries on years ago.
Old 02-24-21, 08:53 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I responded to a similar post you made in the gravel forum. The Diverge will do fine for a century. I rode one on my Diverge in October. You do need to make sure that you're prepared to eat and stay hydrated. I brought energy bars that I'd eat every 15 miles or so, and sandwiches that I ate at 36 miles and 67 miles (because there was a nice park to stop and eat at those points).
Old 02-24-21, 09:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've seen folks ride single speed balloon tired bikes on doubles, and a woman rode one of those, complete with flowers in the basket, on PBP. She was not your average rider, however. If it were me, I'd put on a pair of Continental 5000 in 28mm. OTOH, if you won't be riding paved except for this one ride, I wouldn't switch out the tires, not worth the expense. OTOH, maybe you'll love riding long distance on paved roads and . . .
Old 02-24-21, 10:00 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I might even say the Diverge would be ideal for riding a century. The differences between endurance bikes and gravel bikes are often quite subtle, and many argue that road bike tire clearances are needlessly limited. Larger volume tires can make distance rides considerably more comfortable. But as the others said, go with slicks, if you have the budget for new tires.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 02-24-21, 10:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
For long distance road only I really like my challenge paris-roubaix 27c tires, but looking at the specs, while nicer tires can make it better, you'll be lacking nothing riding road with it.
Old 02-24-21, 10:15 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,150 Times in 587 Posts
I have recently gotten really into cycling and decided to upgrade from my hybrid bike to a road bike. Knowing that some of the roads are tough in my area, and that I wanted off-road as an option - I got a Diverge Elite E5. While I'm sure I'll put lots of off-road miles on it, I also really want to do my first century ride this summer on paved road.

Thanks in advance!
At the risk of echoing what others have said ... of course you can ride a century on a "gravel" bike. All that matters is that it fits/you are comfortable on it. People have ridden across countries, and around the world, on almost any 'type' of bicycle you could think of.

I've only ridden three centuries; none of them were on a 'road bike'. First was on my now-antiquated 26er hardtail mtb, with road slicks. Second and third were on my flat-bar 'hybrid' (in Biek Forms-speak). No problems at all on any of those three rides.

If the bike (Diverge) works well for you, and you are in shape for the ride, you'll have no problem at all.
Old 02-24-21, 10:24 PM
HTupolev

Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
But as the others said, go with slicks, if you have the budget for new tires.
The OP already has slicks. Not entirely bald slicks, but nothing that would lead me to regard them as knobbies. They're just entry-level and fairly beefy: the room for improvement will mostly come from a higher-end and more performance-oriented construction.
Old 02-25-21, 09:45 AM
JB_Nicholson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've seen folks ride single speed balloon tired bikes on doubles, and a woman rode one of those, complete with flowers in the basket, on PBP. She was not your average rider, however. If it were me, I'd put on a pair of Continental 5000 in 28mm. OTOH, if you won't be riding paved except for this one ride, I wouldn't switch out the tires, not worth the expense. OTOH, maybe you'll love riding long distance on paved roads and . . .
Originally Posted by Iride01
Just don't do your tires or any other changes immediately before your big day. Try to get all that done a few hundred miles before if possible.

You might also be surprised what some people ride if this is a big event with 600 or more. I get amazed at how older people that appear more out of shape than me appear do better and go faster than I do.
I love the idea of finding a larger event - we'll see what's doable by late spring early summer with COVID...

Loving all the tire reccos as well. I'll probably give it a few weeks of ridding to see if I end up on more gravel than road or vise versa. Those Continentals do look awesome. As a total newbie I'm going through the "buy everything" phase right now... spare tubes, patch kits, wrenches, tire levers, new pedals, shoes/clips... you name it! It's fun but I may have to hit pause and ride a bit more before springing for the new tires. Let me wallet catch up with my new hobby haha
Old 02-25-21, 09:50 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
I love the idea of finding a larger event - we'll see what's doable by late spring early summer with COVID...

Loving all the tire reccos as well. I'll probably give it a few weeks of ridding to see if I end up on more gravel than road or vise versa. Those Continentals do look awesome. As a total newbie I'm going through the "buy everything" phase right now... spare tubes, patch kits, wrenches, tire levers, new pedals, shoes/clips... you name it! It's fun but I may have to hit pause and ride a bit more before springing for the new tires. Let me wallet catch up with my new hobby haha
Have you done group rides or club rides? Charity rides can be lots of fun if you watch out for knuckleheads.
Old 02-25-21, 10:50 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts

Have done multiple centuries on my Diverge with no issues and marginally slower only due to my more upright position. Don't get seduced by the narrower tires are faster narrative as its suppleness which affects the tire caused resistance. Presently running a 38mm smooth tire with truly marginal efficiency loses but massive comfort gains.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-25-21, 03:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts

Save the money on new tires in case you need a new saddle! If I'd tried to ride a century on the saddle that came with the bike, I'd have been headed to the urologist the next week. Find a saddle you can go 3 hours on with no pain or numbness, because a century will be twice that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-26-21, 08:33 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Rode my first century on my Giant Roam, so to me, not sure where your concern lies with a Specialized Diverge ...a bike much more suited for the road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.