Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

What are you reading right now?

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

What are you reading right now?

Old 11-26-18, 09:51 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 135 Posts
Finished the collection of HP Lovecraft stories. Some pretty cringe worthy racism in there that I was not expecting. Many of the stories were not the most well written either. His best tales do convey some odd creepiness that works on a certain level. However, in some ways it is hard to see why he gathers so much acclaim and interest.
Old 11-28-18, 11:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 301 Posts
Finished listening to Lay Down My Sword and Shield, Book 1 in the Hackberry Holland Series, by James Lee Burke.

Started listening to The Mirage Factory: Illusion, Imagination, and the Invention of Los Angeles, by Gary Krist.
Old 11-30-18, 11:59 AM
bensonthetiger

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fear by Bob Woodward
Old 12-02-18, 11:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to The Mirage Factory: Illusion, Imagination, and the Invention of Los Angeles, by Gary Krist. Interesting story of three early 1900's LA pioneers, D.W. Griffith, William Mulholland, and Aimee Semple McPherson. Their careers and rise and fall in movie making, water sourcing and associated dams and aqueducts, and personal spiritual salvation is closely associated LA.

Started listening to Dark Sacred Night, the latest novel in the Harry Bosch series, by Michael Connelly.
Old 12-07-18, 10:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to Dark Sacred Night, the 21st novel in the Harry Bosch series, by Michael Connelly. Excellent, just like the other 20 Harry Bosch novels that I listened to.

Started listening to The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue, by Michael J. Tougias.
Old 12-09-18, 09:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue, by Michael J. Tougias. Unbelievable bravery to save many men trapped on wrecked ships in the the early 50's. Having already seen the movie helped me visualize the sea and weather conditions since I know next to nothing about boats or the sea.

Started listening to Still Life, by Louise Penny. It is the first novel in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of Sûreté du Québec series.
Old 12-13-18, 02:37 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 328 Posts
Just started French Dirt by Richard Goodman.
Old 12-13-18, 07:41 PM
billyjoe44

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, pretty insightful read. Anyone else read this?
Old 12-13-18, 11:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to Still Life, by Louise Penny. It is the first novel in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of Sûreté du Québec series. Good start to the series I have the next 9 more lined up in my audiobook queue. I will probably alternate them with non fiction books for awhile.

Started listening to The Silent Service in World War II: The Story of the U.S. Navy Submarine Force in the Words of the Men Who Lived It edited by Michael Green.
Old 12-17-18, 01:23 AM
amyrich

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rereading JD Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. It's been my fav book for a long time. I read it every year.
Old 12-22-18, 06:36 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1977 Windsor Profesional,1979 Mondia Special, Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 ,Basso Gap, 1982 Moser SL,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, LOOK 486,Vitus 979 KAS.Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 95 Posts
Just finished this one.

Some really great stories from the old European Racing days.

Old 12-22-18, 11:57 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 272 Posts
Currently reading, “The Brave Athlete Calm the F Down and Rise To The Occasion.” (BTW, that is the actual title.)

I am learning all about my Chimp Brain, my Professor Brain and my Computer Brain and how they all work together...or don’t.

stay tuned.
Old 12-23-18, 01:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to The Silent Service in World War II: The Story of the U.S. Navy Submarine Force in the Words of the Men Who Lived It, edited by Michael Green.

Finished reading A Quiet Flame, the fifth novel in the Bernie Gunther series by the late Phillip Kerr.

Started reading Silent Hunters: German U-boat Commanders of World War II, essays about six U-boat commanders, edited by Theodore P. Savas.

Started listening to The Spy Who Loved: The Secrets and Lives of Christine Granville, by Clare Mulley, non-fiction account of "Pauline", WW2 spy active in the Balkans, Poland and France.
Old 12-28-18, 10:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished reading Silent Hunters: German U-boat Commanders of World War II, essays about six U-boat commanders, edited by Theodore P. Savas.

Finished listening to The Spy Who Loved: The Secrets and Lives of Christine Granville, by Clare Mulley, non-fiction account of "Pauline", WW2 spy active in the Balkans, Poland and France. Good story, but the worst reading I ever heard, the woman narrator injected so much drama into every sentence and phrase that it sounded like she was reading a children's book to a class of 6 year olds. Or maybe she thought it was a cheesy romance novel.

Started listening to Men in Blue, the first novel in the Badge of Honor series, by W.E.B Griffin. Police story set in Philadelphia.
Old 12-31-18, 06:18 PM
BikingTech

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last physical thing I read was an environmental impact statement, only because I had input on it. Last digital thingie was a pdf for BIOS settings for a computer build I was doing. Yes, I am nerdy
Old 01-01-19, 09:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to Men in Blue, the first novel in the Badge of Honor series, by W.E.B Griffin. Police story set in Philadelphia. I enjoyed the story and was familiar with many of the specific Philadelphia locations and foibles mentioned in the book.

Started listening to Special Operations, the second novel in the Badge of Honor series, by W.E.B Griffin. Police story set in Philadelphia.

Finished reading Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky: The Controversial Mobsters Who Worked with Lucky Luciano to Form the National Crime Syndicate.
OK, learned about a lot of their gangster pals of the 20's and 30's. Note that it is a free Kindle book available on Amazon.
Old 01-01-19, 01:41 PM
FiveKO

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just finished overreading LOTR
Old 01-02-19, 09:17 PM
elmore leonard

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now. “The Walking Dead- Rise of The Governor.”
over half way through and it’s got my attention.
Old 01-03-19, 06:30 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 269 Posts
Right now, "Slaying the Badger". Kind of struggling through it. However, today I received notice from the library that a book on hold was available, "Past Tense": Jack Reacher, Lee Childs.
Old 01-05-19, 03:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to Special Operations, the second novel in the Badge of Honor series, by W.E.B Griffin. Police story set in Philadelphia. The plot action is often contrived, especially the romantic relationships with high school like dialog between the couples. I may listen to the third novel in the series later because I like the references to locations in Philadelphia that are quite familiar to me.

Started reading The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien. Non-fiction reminisces of the author's tour in Vietnam.

Started listening to The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War, by Ben Macintyre.
Old 01-15-19, 10:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished reading The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien. Non-fiction reminisces of the author's tour in Vietnam.

Finished listening to The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War, by Ben Macintyre.

Started reading If The Dead Rise Not, the sixth book in the Bernie Gunther series of novels of the anti Nazi German police detective and ironically SS officer of the 1930's and 40's, by Phillip Kerr.

Started listening to The Informant, the third novel in the Butcher's Boy series by Thomas Perry.
Old 01-16-19, 01:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 3992 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
Finished the collection of HP Lovecraft stories. Some pretty cringe worthy racism in there that I was not expecting. Many of the stories were not the most well written either. His best tales do convey some odd creepiness that works on a certain level. However, in some ways it is hard to see why he gathers so much acclaim and interest.
I found Lovecraft's stories creepy as a kid, but they don't wear well. And they make mostly terrible movies, but occasionally intentionally or unintentionally funny movies. The Jeffrey Combs movies Reanimator and From Beyond are great fun, a sort of update on the Vincent Price shtick.

In retrospect the stories say more about Lovecraft himself, his bigotry and neuroses than about anything most people might find horrifying. Having lived on the coast and enjoyed a lot of fishing I don't find anything particularly frightening about his Cthulhu mythos. It's just a big octopus/squid thing. Fine. Bring a bigger pot to boil him in.

But The Colour Out of Space was his most interesting story. The concept of an entity completely different from the usual humanoid sci-fi trope still hasn't been surpassed, possibly because it's so difficult to relate to. I find most sci-fi TV series and movies mostly amusing entertainment because almost all of the protagonists, allies and antagonists are just variations of humans with some lizard skin, fur or other familiar cosmetic covering. On the rare occasions when they depart from humanoid types it's not often successful. Even when the Star Trek movie employed the clever concept of a long lost Voyager probe as Vger, it had to be manifested through a humanoid avatar to make any emotional connection with the audience.

Incidentally, there's a pretty good low budget movie version of The Colour Out of Space (the 2010 film Die Farbe). I watched it via Amazon Prime a few years ago and found it very effective at conveying a difficult concept, including the "blasted heath." That particular concept appealed to me, probably because I've always enjoyed wandering around desolate abandoned farms, ranches and vacant lots that have gone wild.
Old 01-16-19, 01:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 3992 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by billyjoe44 View Post
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, pretty insightful read. Anyone else read this?
Yup, when it was first published. I was in high school, approximately the age of the author's son, so it resonated with me on several levels. I'm not sure whether the book's life philosophy and views of the mechanical things that surround and convey us influenced my personal philosophy, or whether I enjoyed the book because the philosophy matched my own.
Old 01-20-19, 02:30 PM
MontgomeryMeigs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
History of the United States, Volume 1, 1492-1763, by E. Benjamin Andrews, printed in 1899.
Old 01-21-19, 01:32 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to The Informant, the third novel in the Butcher's Boy series by Thomas Perry. Excellent. Lots of hit man trade craft discussed. Recommend the Butcher Boy 3 book set.

Started listening to If I Die in a Combat Zone Box Me Up and Ship Me Home, by Tim O'Brien. The book is the author's personal account of his year as a foot soldier in Vietnam.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.