Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trainer is coming tomorrow! I'm pumped.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-25-05, 07:19 PM
Nashville Man

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just in time for day light savings. I bought a Fluid 2 from Performance Bike. I was glad to see the 20% off coupons finally back and working.

Hopefully I can get it set up correctly and not have any issues with tire wear or anything else to keep me from using it. I just hope to have some decent weekends between now and spring where I can still get out and ride.
Old 10-25-05, 07:24 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was you last year and bought a very nice trainer. Geez it sucks to pedal without going anywhere! I also wore the tread flat on my back tire. I don't know but for me most of the fun of biking is being outdoors being chased by dogs etc.
Old 10-25-05, 07:37 PM
bluecd
synapses firing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
theyre easy to set up & watching a training tape/dvd helps keep you on it but you will wear your rear tire flat.
Old 10-25-05, 07:39 PM
HWS
Fuji Shill

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto on the training DVD/videos. Watching TV is OK, but a Spinervals DVD will really keep you focused.
Old 10-25-05, 08:12 PM
nickgold

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez Comp Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bah, I watch music videos mostly when on the trainer. To heck with training videos, I would rather watch Gwen Stefani strut her stuff.
Old 10-25-05, 08:14 PM
John B.

Bikes: Specialize Roubaix Comp Triple, Motobecane Grand Sprint, Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HWS
Ditto on the training DVD/videos. Watching TV is OK, but a Spinervals DVD will really keep you focused.
Agreed, I sat up my new Kinetic trainer in front of the tv for the first time today & popped in the Spinervals DVD that came with it. Ran through a 30 minute workout segment & wasn't bored for a moment.
Old 10-25-05, 08:28 PM
helmets save

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather spend that money on tights and a heavy jacket rather than a trainer. Just me, I love the outdoors namely why i really like cycilng. Always going around finding new ways and routes to explore, that never gets old. Alwasy looking for a steep hill.

Cycilng indoors, gets old!!
Old 10-25-05, 09:49 PM
bluecd
synapses firing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helmets save
I would rather spend that money on tights and a heavy jacket rather than a trainer. Just me, I love the outdoors namely why i really like cycilng. Always going around finding new ways and routes to explore, that never gets old. Alwasy looking for a steep hill.

Cycilng indoors, gets old!!

yes it does get a bit old but it sure was nice getting in an hour & 40 minutes today on my cycleops when the weather gave me 50 degrees & a driving rain all day long.
Old 10-26-05, 02:29 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to rain on your parade, but trainers are so boring.

If you want something that will keep you in really good cardiovascular shape you can't beat a used stairmaster (the kind that used to be a gym).

I love mine. I can even read on it. They aren't too expensive on the used market. $500 will get you a really nice used one.

Trainers might improve pedal stroke, but it's just too boring and doesn't burn that many calories.
Old 10-26-05, 05:36 AM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode my trainer last night watching the world series game and was so bored after 30 min. I had to stop.
Old 10-26-05, 05:49 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I agree that trainers and rollers are boring as hell, you'd have to be in excellent shape to say that you can't burn calories on them. I spent all winter last year on rollers and came out the other end in much better shape and about 6 pounds lighter (no dieting).

So slog it out bro. You'll appreciate it come Spring.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 10-26-05, 06:08 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Another benefit of the trainer is it keeps your butt used to being on the bike seat. Taking a whole winter off and then getting on the bike in the spring is torture for the first few rides. It is boring though.
Old 10-26-05, 06:11 AM
whitemax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway

If you want something that will keep you in really good cardiovascular shape you can't beat a used stairmaster (the kind that used to be a gym).

I love mine. I can even read on it. They aren't too expensive on the used market. $500 will get you a really nice used one.

Trainers might improve pedal stroke, but it's just too boring and doesn't burn that many calories.
Sorry to rain on yours but trainers definitely have their place for the cyclist during cold months for those who don't like going out in the weather. Rollers are more for improving pedal stroke than a trainer. You can really keep up your leg strength with a trainer as well as keep the various energy systems stoked. Doesn't burn many calories? You must be kidding mate. Ride it with an objective and then come back here and tell us it doesn't burn calories. They can be boring so as has been mentioned above, training videos work great. Or you can simply watch tv or listen to music. Whatever ones personal preference happens to be works best. I used mine quite a bit last winter and came into the spring in much better shape than the rest of my group who rode around doing base miles.
Old 10-26-05, 06:22 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rent action movies.
Ride hard during the action scenes.
Ride easy during the talking scenes.
Old 10-26-05, 06:43 AM
bluecd
synapses firing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

im thinking youve never trained on a cycleops fliud 2. spinervals big gear training will blow your thighs up & CTS TT intervals will blow your lungs up. you get out of it what you put into it. and if you can read a book or magazine while youre on your stairmaster then you arent working hard enough.
Old 10-26-05, 07:36 AM
jemoryl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nashville Man
Just in time for day light savings. I bought a Fluid 2 from Performance Bike. I was glad to see the 20% off coupons finally back and working.

Hopefully I can get it set up correctly and not have any issues with tire wear or anything else to keep me from using it. I just hope to have some decent weekends between now and spring where I can still get out and ride.
I have a Performance fluid trainer and it has served me well, considering the inexpensive price. Tire wear has not been an issue; I am using the same $10 tire that probably has 1000+ road miles plus 1 year of trainer use and it is still fine. When setting it up, carefully bring the roller on the resistance unit up to the tire, so that it just makes light contact with the rubber. I was told that this will minimize tire wear.
Old 10-26-05, 08:26 AM
goodall
draw line at carbon forks

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been putting a CTS Criterium DVD on my laptop, setting that on top of my TV, then watching a bike race on mute on the TV. Those CTS videos are booooring. On an easy day, I play Grand Theft Auto. Anybody else play video games while on the trainer?
Old 10-26-05, 08:50 AM
Nashville Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Blah....I'd take a trainer any day over a stairmaister.....now that is boring. Not to metion a trainer can hang on my garage wall while a stairmaster would displace my car.

To those that say they'd rather ride outside, I agree. After daylight savings its dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home. The weekends will be the only time for an outdoors ride for me. I'll go insane waiting that long.

To each his own......
Old 10-26-05, 10:39 AM
meme
Buddha Khan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blah....I'd take a trainer any day over a stairmaister.....now that is boring. Not to metion a trainer can hang on my garage wall while a stairmaster would displace my car.

To those that say they'd rather ride outside, I agree. After daylight savings its dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home. The weekends will be the only time for an outdoors ride for me. I'll go insane waiting that long.

To each his own......

I don't have my own StairMaster; I use the one at work. I've never been bored using the StairMaster...not that I get a chance to get bored. Set the StairMaster to maximum speed and then tell me if you get bored... Setting the StairMaster to max is like sprinting uphill (out of the saddle of course). The stationary bikes...I do find a bit boring. Unlike the StairMasters, which you can set the speed and must follow that pace (just like the treadmills), you can't really do that on the stationary bikes and then that's when I get bored. Of course, there's nothing to really stare at other than myself in the mirror when I'm using the station bikes. Of course if there are hot girls using the other stationary bikes then it won't be boring...
Old 10-26-05, 10:47 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trainers are a great exercise for the body, but an even better exercise for the mind.

I thought cyclists loved to suffer? If so, why all the whining about trainers?

Sounds like a lot of you could use the mental workout.
Old 10-26-05, 10:54 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts

To each his own......
Buy some lights? I bought some rollers about two years ago. I did about 300 miles the first winter and maybe 50 the second winter (only because of snow and sheer boredom). The first winter I was lazy and the second winter I bought lights and cold weather gear and rode plenty outside. This winter my friend is taking the rollers off my hands. I'll be commuting through the winter plus hopefully rides on weekends to get me around 100 miles/week. Just commuting gets me almost 70 which is way more than I could see myself doing on a trainer.
Old 10-26-05, 11:03 AM
snowy
Beauty Everywhere

Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG, I have a love-hate relationship with the trainer. I hate to get on it cause it kicks my a** but I love the workout. Its harder to keep that constant cadience up the whole time. I'm starting out slow then work my way up.
I think you will reep lots of rewards next season USE IT!!
Old 10-26-05, 11:21 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
Interesting thread. I was in a Supergo shop last week and purchased a fairly inexpensive mag trainer on sale at around $70. Now living in Socal does mean that I don't worry a huge amount about the weather, though it can be chilly, certainly not like the East.
Last year, we had a ton of rain that limited the riding time. I figured for the small amount of $$ I paid, I'll get enough of a workout to keep from feeling sluggish.

I put my old 10 speed Peugeot on there and will use it rather than my Giant. Got a TV and treadmill in the room so no worries!

Sheldon
Old 10-26-05, 12:11 PM
conundrumx
Smoke me a Kipper

Bikes: Merckx SLX, Guerciotti SLX, Pinarello SL, Specialized Stumpjumper, Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickgold
Bah, I watch music videos mostly when on the trainer. To heck with training videos, I would rather watch Gwen Stefani strut her stuff.
The only problem with that is you gotta listen to her sing...maybe turn the sound down I guess.
Old 10-26-05, 12:21 PM
Nashville Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update....Trainer arrived and it is on its way back. I attached a couple photos. Fed Ex apparently decided to do an air drop over my house. My wife got home and found this on the porch.....er, maybe in the yard. I called Performance and they said they'd send a label for me to ship it back and then send me a new one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.