Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yet another eBay debacle...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 01:46 PM
johnMfisk
Enthusiastic Non-Athlete

Bikes: 2003 Giant TCR Elite; early-1980's vintage Peugeot CP12 ALU touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heads up.

Just got suckered into yet another eBay scam:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7222246303

The guy had 100% positive feedback when the item was posted. Answering email. Then *poof* -- phone disconnected, emails unanswered. The ONLY hint of something wrong was a new negative feedback. I've been exchanging email with other buyers that got burned. Hopefully, my credit card will come through.

Arrggghhh! I'm about ready to just cancel this stupid eBay account. What a miserable den of miscretants and thieves.

This is almost as good as the '50mph uphill!!' eBay seller. It'd be funny if it weren't so pitiful...

cheers,
Johnny
Old 03-06-06, 01:55 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
I am sorry to hear about the seat. When your CC reverses the charges on the purchase then go to ebay seller BENSBIKE. BTW I moved out of Syracuse in 1966 to beautiful Clev OH. It snow less here, not much though. Good luck

Tim
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If if looks and/or sounds too good to be true......well, I guess you know the rest.

Corsaire

Originally Posted by johnMfisk
Heads up.

Just got suckered into yet another eBay scam:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7222246303

The guy had 100% positive feedback when the item was posted. Answering email. Then *poof* -- phone disconnected, emails unanswered. The ONLY hint of something wrong was a new negative feedback. I've been exchanging email with other buyers that got burned. Hopefully, my credit card will come through.

Arrggghhh! I'm about ready to just cancel this stupid eBay account. What a miserable den of miscretants and thieves.

This is almost as good as the '50mph uphill!!' eBay seller. It'd be funny if it weren't so pitiful...

cheers,
Johnny
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just be glad it was only 50 bucks. I lost 250 a few months ago in another category to an Australian woman.
Old 03-06-06, 01:58 PM
reneuend
RiverCity

Bikes: Trek Pro 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sucks.
What's left if you can't trust someone's positive feedbacks?
I hope it turns out OK.
Old 03-06-06, 02:18 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $67 you could get one from Wallbike.com and come away with this:

6 Month UNCONDITIONAL SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - new BROOKS saddles. Return your new saddle at any time within six-months of the ship date for a full refund of the price of the saddle. Shipping will not be refunded unless there is a manufacturing defect issue that would make the return a factory warranty issue.
Old 03-06-06, 02:26 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
ok,
I'm a very limited ebay user. How does one get several months of positive feedback if they're defrauding people. Did he hijack someone else's history? or just suddenly turn criminal?
Old 03-06-06, 02:33 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll guess the criminal option, He has sold other bike parts in the past and most hijack scams involve high dollar items. Probably simple money trouble.
Old 03-06-06, 03:45 PM
jbonus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be extra careful now that spring's around the corner. I've noticed a lot of BS bike auctions appearing in the listings, many from hijacked user accounts with solid feedback. Do a little detective work and look at the seller's feedback from buyers, items for sale, currency and location, query for pickup, and ID history (in case they changed their user name before). If it smells fishy, drop it.
Old 03-06-06, 03:53 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
$50 seems like relatively small-ticket item for a scam...
Old 03-06-06, 03:56 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Or, perhaps the problem is that a negative feedback combined with a seller's error has started a panic among otherwise sensible buyers.

The item ended within the last 48 hours... Payment by PayPal only (so it is protected) to registered addresses only...

I don't even try to contact the seller in cases like that. I send payment and wait for a notification of shipment.

While I know it sounds fishy, perhaps you should at least wait for a reasonable delivery timeframe before broadcasting to the whole world that this seller MIGHT be fraudulent.

Perhaps the seller just moved and forgot to update his contact information... Perhaps the seller died... Perhaps the seller is defrauding you... Perhaps the seat will arrive tomorrow...

Of course, someone may know more than was stated in the OP's short posting... I am just going on what I read.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-06-06, 04:31 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corsaire
If if looks and/or sounds too good to be true......well, I guess you know the rest.

Corsaire
I don't know if I would consider a $50 Brooks B17 Standard to be "too good to be true."

Old 03-06-06, 04:40 PM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13 transactions and 81% + feedback! That should be the clue to a scammer or someone who does not have a reputation. Sorry for you being burned by that guy. It does leave a bad taste in one's mouth.
Old 03-06-06, 04:58 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msheron
13 transactions and 81% + feedback! That should be the clue to a scammer or someone who does not have a reputation. Sorry for you being burned by that guy. It does leave a bad taste in one's mouth.
Note that the bad feedback didn't start until just a couple days ago.

Old 03-06-06, 05:12 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed all his current listings have manufacturer's stock photos. With private sellers, I always demand photos of the actual item i will receive. If they can't or won't supply them, I steer the he11 clear!
Old 03-06-06, 06:12 PM
wile e. coyote
buy Acme anvils

Bikes: 1935 Hawthorne, 1998 Jamis hardtail(s), 2005 bikesdirect sprintour.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started in on a scam from the good old romanian mafia guys on a $1200 cdale r1000. That one was obvious tho, they wanted to use a 3rd party fake broker for money exchange. When I realized that was a scam I led them on to the point of getting the address of the 'agent' in Chicago. Fortunately i am a total paranoidiac.

I'd never buy from a non-registered user, that should've been a flag. If they *used to* be a registered user, probably ebay has them on record and can try contacting them. Doesn't feel like a scam tho...

I'll probably join up with the cycling club here in syracuse this spring, see ya around if you go on club rides.

-Ned
Old 03-07-06, 12:19 PM
johnMfisk
Enthusiastic Non-Athlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I am sorry to hear about the seat. When your CC reverses the charges on the purchase then go to ebay seller BENSBIKE. BTW I moved out of Syracuse in 1966 to beautiful Clev OH. It snow less here, not much though. Good luck

Tim
Thanks.

Actually, I've already exchanged email with Bill Paine at Wallingford bikes (https://www.wallbike.com) -- I belatedly found out about him after reading some older posts about Brooks saddles. I'll keep BENSBIKE in mind.

And congrats on the move... my wife and I lived in Nashville for several years and were VERY sad to have to move back 'up North' -- the kids were getting bigger and it was important to get back closer to family. I'm already scheming about the gentleman's farm outside of Maryville, TN once we get the kids off to college...

cheers,
Johnny
Old 03-07-06, 12:30 PM
johnMfisk
Enthusiastic Non-Athlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgregory57
Or, perhaps the problem is that a negative feedback combined with a seller's error has started a panic among otherwise sensible buyers.

The item ended within the last 48 hours... Payment by PayPal only (so it is protected) to registered addresses only...

I don't even try to contact the seller in cases like that. I send payment and wait for a notification of shipment.

While I know it sounds fishy, perhaps you should at least wait for a reasonable delivery timeframe before broadcasting to the whole world that this seller MIGHT be fraudulent.

Perhaps the seller just moved and forgot to update his contact information... Perhaps the seller died... Perhaps the seller is defrauding you... Perhaps the seat will arrive tomorrow...

Of course, someone may know more than was stated in the OP's short posting... I am just going on what I read.
Actually, the story is a bit more involved, but I didn't want to ramble on.

The rest of the story is that I emailed the guy after a couple days to get a tracking no. No reply. Then, I notice that his feedback isn't 100% anymore... huh? I check his feedback and the most recent buyer leaves ones of those 'SCAM!!! Emails unanswered, phone disconnected...' type messages. I exchanged email with this buyer and gives me his story. So now I try emailing the seller again (no reply) and get the contact information from eBay (the guy's in CA, I'm in NY) and, oh BTW, his phone is now disconnected. And now I'm getting additional email messages from other buyers having the same happen to them.

You're very right, however, on the not jumping to conclusions part -- normally, a week to ten days is a fair time frame before getting antsy.

My hunch is that this account was hijacked -- I've been getting pretty convincing phishing email from 'eBay' and 'PayPal' about something wrong with my account and how I have to just log in here and fill out a form with my account name, password, etc. The IP address is the giveaway -- I haven't nslookup'd or whois'd it, but none of these point to www.ebay.com or paypal.

Fortunately, it wasn't a huge amount, mostly just the aggrevation of it all.

cheers,
Johnny