Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Attacked by Adolf the killer German shepard!

Notices
Road Cycling 的t is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-16-06, 12:15 PM
ripa
51.8977ーN 8.4711ーW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I知 out for my morning ride and all is going well. I知 at 9.7 miles and just starting to hit my stride when I hear someone welling from my right side. I glance over and see a fairly large German shepherd racing towards me and closing fast. I pump once to accelerate but he was to close before I could get up any steam. WHAM!!!! He takes me and the bike out. I come unclipped from the bike and I roll down a small slope to my left. Rode rash and a few other minor cuts to my arms and face. Not bad considering what just happened. The bigger problem is that Adolf (that痴 the dogs real name) is still attacking my bike. He痴 busted three spokes on my rear wheel. They were only a month old Mavic Ksyrium ES痴I知 not happy. The owner says something to the dog in German and he stops attacking the bike and sits down next to it like it was not even there.

I jump up and move towards the dog and the owner who says he痴 sorry for what happened and lets me know his dog hates bikes. I ask him why he was off his leash and he said he likes to let him run around with out it if no one is around. He see痴 I知 bleeding and that my bike is messed up and suggests that I call someone to get some help!!! I tell him that he needs to pay for the bike repairs and he looks at me like I知 crazy. I tell him I need his name and information. At that he puts his dog on its leash and takes off running. I try to follow but dang it痴 hard to run in bike shoes for any distance.

So now I知 stuck with a busted rear wheel and a few scratches to my bike not to mention the cuts and road rash.

I just had to get it off my chest

Rant over.
Old 03-16-06, 12:18 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
the guy just ran off? that's crazy. what if it was a small kid riding his or her bike? surely they couldn't outrun a dog like that.
Old 03-16-06, 12:20 PM
pcwace
NW Cyclist (aka swimmer)

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a sue happy person, but I think I'd talk to a lawyer about this one. If you're riding down public property (assuming it was a public road) and you're attacked by someone's animal, I think you have a pretty clear case against them. Too bad he had to be such a jerk about it. There's gotta be some neighbors or someone near by the can identify the owner/dog.
Old 03-16-06, 12:21 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It sounds like that dog is trained. You may have a case of assault with the owner. Are you going to find this guy? If he's walking his dog then he probably lives close by. I'd report this to the police. What if Adolph痴 next victim is a kid?
Old 03-16-06, 12:21 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Don't just get it off your chest on a bike forum --- go to the police as well and give them as much info as possible.

As long as what you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt you), then the dog owner owes you some $$. My girlfriend's dog is a German Shephard and we ALWAYS have her on a leash when she's outside. Glad you're relatively OK, although you might be hurting some more once the adrenaline wears off.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 03-16-06, 12:23 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
what is it about dogs and bikes? what do they hate so much?? it seems pretty common for riders to get chased. its happened to me a few times.
Old 03-16-06, 12:26 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
what is it about dogs and bikes? what do they hate so much?? it seems pretty common for riders to get chased. its happened to me a few times.

Instinct(??). I guess they see bikes much like they see deer and want to run them down.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 03-16-06, 12:51 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
I think it's the mechanical noise and movement of the wheels. I once got thrown out of a dog agility competition because I brought a bike. I made a point to dismount before I entered the fairgrounds and was only walking but it upset enough of these supposedly highly trained dogs that I was asked to leave. Dogs can be acclimated to bikes. The ones I see every day do quite well with them with a few exceptions.

You should have filed a report with the cops, but I still think this guy will be easy to track down. Just ask around the area where you saw him. You know he lives within walking distance. He doesn't sound dangerous, so I'd talk to him directly. If he doesn't cooperate, a lawyer could help.
Old 03-16-06, 01:04 PM
kspokes

Bikes: CANNONDALE CREST, SCOTT CR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would definitely file a report and pursue legal action. I am with the others that if this had been a kid on a bike, the results could have been worse and for that guy to run off!!!! Makes me real mad that he didn't take responsibility for his actions and the dog's actions and he KNEW that the dog doesn't like bikes!!! Why take the chance that a bike will come by???

Many of the towns in my area have leash laws for a reason.
Old 03-16-06, 01:16 PM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read somewhere that the spinning wheels freak them out, which sort of makes sense. The dog next door to us (who is a sweetheart) has no problem with our bikes while it's on a roof rack or standing still. The second we start walking it towards our front door from the car she will start barking like crazy. Go figure.

PS File that police report ASAP.
Old 03-16-06, 01:20 PM
cycle4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this guy had any sense, he'd be sweating bullets now. Go after the prick.

By the way, I have a German Shepherd and she is the most wonderful dog in the world. :-)
Old 03-16-06, 01:22 PM
reneuend
RiverCity

Bikes: Trek Pro 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kspokes
I would definitely file a report and pursue legal action. I am with the others that if this had been a kid on a bike, the results could have been worse and for that guy to run off!!!! Makes me real mad that he didn't take responsibility for his actions and the dog's actions and he KNEW that the dog doesn't like bikes!!! Why take the chance that a bike will come by???

Many of the towns in my area have leash laws for a reason.
Talking to him directly will obviously get you nowhere. Definitely, go to the police and file a report....and then we want to hear back on this later.

I hope there wasn't too much damage to your bike....oh, and I'm glad you're ok too!
Old 03-16-06, 01:25 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The dog took out your Ksyrium ES? that's not a cheap wheelset...

Where I come from, if you're attacked by a vicious dog, you have the legal right to defend yourself. I realize most people don't ride with a weapon, but if I'm attacked by a dog, there's a good chance the dog will not be the winner of the fight.

Not just dogs, but wildlife which does not have a owner responsible for its behavior:

From Northern Light, 2 nd August 2002

VICTORIA, British Columbia (AP) - A 61-year-old man was seriously slashed in a battle with a cougar in British Columbia, but managed to kill the animal with his pocket knife, officials said Friday.

The 100-pound cat leaped on Dave Parker from behind Thursday evening as he walked down a road a mile south of Port Alice, a village on Vancouver Island about 230 miles north of Victoria.

Conservation officer Ken Fujino said Parker was being mauled by the adult male but was able to reach his 3-inch knife. Port Alice Mayor Larry Pepper added Parker then slit its throat.

Despite extensive wounds, Parker managed to walk about a mile for help.

He underwent surgery Friday at Victoria's Royal Jubilee Hospital and was listed in stable condition, said spokeswoman Lianne Peterson.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer Jeff Flindall said police found Parker's knife next to the dead cougar.

Vancouver Island has the highest concentration of cougars in British Columbia. Officials said there have been 16 cougar attacks on Vancouver Island since 1970, including three deaths.

The last fatal attack occurred in August 1996 when a 36-year-old woman died while fighting off a cougar that mauled her son.

Not what I ride with, but an illustration:

AlanS
Source Of All Knowledge

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to the police. Take pictures of your bike and your injuries, immediately. You should be able to track that asssh_ole down. Small claims court seems like a good bet -- and sue for the cost of bike repairs, any medical bills, and something for pain @ suffering.
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Police report and get a lawyer if necessary. The simple fact that his dog was off the leash is an offense, the second charge is an assault or battery resulting from the owners negligence who admitted that he knew his dog didn't like cyclists.

The guy had a chance to settle this without further pursuits. Sue! Any witnesses you can gather?
Old 03-16-06, 01:27 PM
gapowermike

Bikes: Trek 1000 & 4100 & 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where is that thread about carrying a firearm when you need it?

Track him down and kick his a$$. It's as simple as that.

Michael
Old 03-16-06, 01:39 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ripa
They were only a month old Mavic Ksyrium ES痴I知 not happy.
Ouch

Track this guy and his dog down. After attacking a person (attacking the bike is the same as attacking the person) the dog could be put down. I love dogs and all but sometimes things need to be done; the owner is obviously not willing to control the dog to the extent required for it痴 aggressive tendencies.
Old 03-16-06, 01:42 PM
reneuend
RiverCity

Bikes: Trek Pro 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't you feel horrible if you read in the papers that some kid got seriously hurt by this dog? I think you have a duty to report this to the police (at the very least).
Old 03-16-06, 01:49 PM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First.............do you know this guy and is he local? If so, take pictures of your injuries and bike and contact the police first to make a report......you need a police report as crazy as it sounds. Then if this guy refuses to pay for all damages then contact a lawyer. I would have my local police make contact with him first to assure him this will not go away!

If all this fails...............sue the hell out of him! I am not sue happy either but a dog like that should not be allowed to roam free due to kids out playing on their bikes. Sounds like a owner that needs a hard financial lesson!
Old 03-16-06, 01:49 PM
reich17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not read through all of the above posts so I hope I'm not duplicating someone else's reply but I can search the local dog license database by the name of the dog and it's breed (online, probably in person too???). That might help locating the owner.
Old 03-16-06, 01:52 PM
zimbo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride with pepper spray when I do country rides. It's got a velcro holder that wraps around the top tube. I don't think dog owners realize that getting knocked off your bike at 20mph by a dog is just as serious as getting attacked by a dog. You PETAphiles can hate me all you want, but I would have NO ETHICAL PROBLEM WHATSOEVER macing the ***** out of a loose dog. It hasn't happened yet but I have had a dog or two get close enough that I had to hold out the spray can. Fortunately, that scared them off, for whatever reason.

--Steve (and yes, I own a dog. But it's never outside without a leash on. Never.)
Old 03-16-06, 02:08 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pepper spray is pretty good. I was bitten by a dog. The next time a took that route I took pepper spray and nailed him with it on the run. I've been past him many times since. He just sits in the yard and whines when he sees me. Fastest dog training I've ever seen. I had no idea dogs had such a good memory.

Most of the dogs in our area just like to race so I try to accomodate them. I can take the little ones but the big ones usually end up the winners in the sweepstakes. I think Lance Armstrong would have a hard time outrunning Adolph or one of his ilk.

Go nail the owner of that dog. Sue him for all he is worth. Put it in the newspapers. A dog trained like that shouldn't be allowed to live, let alone run loose. And the trainer should learn an expensive lesson.
Old 03-16-06, 02:12 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I own a German Sheppard, she is the sweetest thing in 4 legs but goes nutz when I ride up to the house. She's ok with the bike in the house,
just not me riding (or my wife).
If the dog was uncontrolled, and attacked you (and again I have no reason to
doubt you) the dog should be quarantined. The fact that the dog responded to a
command in german and sat by the bike like nothing ever happened suggests that
the dog may have had schitzhund training. If so the dog broke one of the first
rules in that they are not supposed to attack until told to do so.
File a Police report, note the german in your report it's important and shows that the
owner should have had complete control of the dog.
Have the police persue the owner, Everyone in my neighborhood knows we have
a sheppard, and she's personally greeted (i.e. licked near to death) every kid.
If there were a problem I don't think it would take the police more than an hour
to track where she lives.
I think the owner took off because he realized exactly how much trouble
Adolf just got him into.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 03-16-06, 02:17 PM
cycle4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy is a bonified idiot. (The name of his dog should tell you something) Not just because of his obvious negligence, but because he actually had the nerve to tuck tail and run (along with his dog.) IMHO, you'd be just as much of an idiot as he is if you were to blow it off and pay for the bike repairs from your pocket. Not only because he should pay, but because like others have said, there's that risk of Adolf attacking someone else. The next victim may not be so lucky. I'm not a lawyer, but common sense suggests that this is a slam dunk.

Did Adolf look anything like this?

They are some of the BEST dogs when raised and bred correctly. No she's not about to attack anyone, just squatting to pee.

Pics are irrelevant, but... she likes the publicity.
Old 03-16-06, 02:21 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ripa
So I知 out for my morning ride and all is going well. I知 at 9.7 miles and just starting to hit my stride when I hear someone welling from my right side. I glance over and see a fairly large German shepherd racing towards me and closing fast. I pump once to accelerate but he was to close before I could get up any steam. WHAM!!!! He takes me and the bike out.
For those of you who rely on pepper spray, it appears the OP may not have had time to use the stuff even if he had it.

I won't carry the stuff, mostly because I've been in situtations where I would have used it. Having said that, I've had scarier encouter (on humans -- dope addicts desperate for a fix are scarier and less predictable than a German shepherd). I think you'll have an easy time finding the guy, but if the neighbors won't help, I'll bet a letter to the editor of the local paper asking people to manage their animals properly would. You have a description that I think will make the guy and the dog recognizable. Somebody will come forward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright ゥ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.