Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My experience with the LAF LIVESTRONG wristband

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-16-06, 08:08 PM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Bikes: Tarmac SL4, Lemond Victoire, Titus Motolite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I take it a lot of the posters wear one here, I mean, common thing for cyclists.

I first started wearing my LIVESTRONG band during the '04 TdF when they first went on sale. I actually bought ten, handed three out to each of my team members for a 24 hr mtb race later that summer, on to my mother, a couple to other friends, and I kept one back up for me, which I actually ended up using it when the first one broke.

When I first started wearing it, comments on it ranged from, shortly after the Tour, "So did you go to a concert/club last night" or "that's a wierd looking rubber band".

A few months after the Tour, esp when Kerry started wearing one I got a lot of "That's so trendy" and "you know, then those first were out, only the hardcore bikers/LA fans were wearing them" and strangely... "I didn't think you were a Democrat/liberal" ...?

Then when all these charities and other causes copied the idea I got a "Oh, yellow, what is that one for?" or "ooh, don't tell me, another wristband".

Then about a year later, or last summer I got a lot of "you're still wearing that LA band?".

And apparently a few months after they started making them they changed suppliers (found cheaper child labor in China or something) so my "early" band became special somehow.

And to think, to garner all this attention all I had to do was buy a $1 yellow wristband because I liked the guy and I liked the cause and wear it. And just not take it off. That's a helluva rate of return.

I'm still wearing it, btw.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Old 03-16-06, 08:15 PM
Trekke
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pet rock many years ago. I can't remember any comments. But I didn't wear it arouind my neck. I have worn a yellow bracelet for a couple years now. I am just a supported of cancer research and the idea of living good and taking care of yourself. Have really never had any negative comments. My mother died with cancer 13 months ago.
Old 03-16-06, 08:17 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I too am still wearing my original. At first I heard people ask what it was about, and one person actually said to her friend, "I think it's a Lebron James thing." I was appauled. Anyway, I don't really get asked about it anymore. I ordered the $90 LiveStrong jersey and can't wait to try it on the road. It seems to breathe really well on the trainer. No matter what he's selling, I'll buy it. Great cause.
Old 03-16-06, 08:22 PM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's another question I get a lot. People ask me if I've had a family member or friend with cancer. Same thing when I do a charity ride or other event; I've done a lot with cancer charities- is it hard to believe I'm involved with charities just because I think it's a good cause?

Maybe it's an indirect comment on society today. Or perhaps a comment of what people think of me? Heh, I didn't think I came off that harsh but maybe.
Old 03-16-06, 08:23 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
While at a party...

"What grade do you teach?"

Apparently at one point, it became popular for elementary/grade school teachers to wear them.
Old 03-16-06, 08:25 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't wear one.
Old 03-16-06, 08:29 PM
furiousferret 

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 201 Posts
Wow, so instead of a giving a ride report, you're giving a report wearing a wristband. Very cutting edge...
Old 03-16-06, 08:38 PM
Mose
Two wheels, two skis...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Wow, so instead of a giving a ride report, you're giving a report wearing a wristband. Very cutting edge...
And you took the time to post on it.

Brilliant.

Apparently I missed in the guidelines that state all posts in this forum are to be ride reports? As did nearly everyone else that has posted in this forum.
Old 03-16-06, 08:54 PM
twocoasttb

Bikes: Seven Axiom SG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very few people have commented on my LIVESTRONG wristband. I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2001 and started wearing one when they came out. Treatment went well and I've been in remission for almost five years. It doesn't matter to me whether it's trendy or passé; it's a reminder that I'm (a) lucky and (b) mortal.
Old 03-16-06, 09:03 PM
carpbum
Swollen Member

Bikes: Colnago, Scott, Time, Cannondale, Dean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some poeple just wear it as a personal memorial and dgis about what anybody else thinks. I started wearing one a couple of months before cancer took my mom. The original wristband broke; I carry it in my pocket every day.
Old 03-16-06, 09:04 PM
YesIboughtaTrek
:D

Bikes: Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I as well started the summer of 04 when i saw them in Niketown denver
later that that summer i was driving downtown denver with my window down and my arm rested on the side at a stop light and the back window of an SUV rolled down and i thought 'someone's probly commenting on my car' so i braced myself to say thank you but then the person said 'i like your wristband' and i looked back and saw a lil girl with no hair.. i was so shocked all i could say was thank you
i wish i had something more profound to say but

from then on i realized how much it meant to show support
and ive worn it everyday since
Old 03-16-06, 09:12 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 16 Posts
I wore mine until I broke my wrist this past summer and the nurse had to cut it off because my wrist had swelled so much. I havent really seen them in stores since then. It kinda slipped my mind to buy another one. I ought to though, my grandfather died of lukemia in 1991.
Old 03-16-06, 09:12 PM
Nubie

Bikes: '17 Specialized Ruby Comp, '18 Specialized Diverge E5 Comp WSD

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was in the ICU after my craniotomy for Brain Cancer Number One, one of the neurosurgeons gave me his. No one ever comments on it. I like it because if I wear it on the same wrist as my Medic-Alert bracelet, it cuts down on the jingling sound the silver bracelet makes.
Old 03-16-06, 09:14 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have one somewhere....not sure where it went. Haven't seen it in well over a year....
Old 03-16-06, 09:17 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
While at a party...

"What grade do you teach?"

Apparently at one point, it became popular for elementary/grade school teachers to wear them.
in vancouver it became trendy for schoolchildren to collect multicoloured bands for various causes - about a year ago it was not uncommon to see groups of 10 year olds with four or five coloured bands on their wrists waiting at bus stops. much less so now, i think the novelty has worn off.
Old 03-16-06, 09:20 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wear one occasionally; most common reaction I get is, "Are you a survivor or a supporter?"

Hardly critical, and I live in L.A..

Screw judgement; when someone bags you like that remenber, it's made of silicon, and will snap just like a big rubber band!
Old 03-17-06, 12:32 AM
Jared88
Nightrider

Bikes: Ellsworth , Scott , Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to buy one last year , but that was before a stupid magazine featured the band and said it was trendy to wear one. Then everyone starts wearing it , but for all the wrong reasons. There wasn't even a slightest mention about cancer. Pretty soon more coloured bands started appearing. I did buy 2 light blue bands from 7 eleven for the Tsunami thingy , i will start wearing it when the trend is over.
Old 03-17-06, 01:16 AM
HPS

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Schwinn Super Le Tour (converted to Single Speed), Moab, and High Plains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember when Lance Armstrong was in Europe before his battle with cancer. He was starting to get noticed by the press and depending upon who you read, he was either the next big thing in cycling or the next big ego. I didn't like him very much.

When he was diagnosed with cancer I felt rather guilty for not giving him much respect as a rising star. Just as Lance was returning to cycling, I was told that two small nodules had been detected in my left lung. "They're small..don't worry..We'll watch them over the next several month to see if they change in size or shape." Those next few months..not knowing..were difficult. Luckily, there was no change in the size or shape of my nodules, they were/are not cancerous.

As great as Armstrong is as a rider, and for all that he has meant to cycling, he has meant far more to those individuals and families touched by cancer.

I just started wearing my bracelet again last week so that I will remember just how lucky I am.
Old 03-17-06, 01:19 AM
Katrogen
Team BYRDS

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear mine because its probably the most comfy and attractive looking bracelet I've ever worn and will ever wear. I will wear mine for years to come because of my absolute pride in what it symbolizes. It marks my love of cycling and connects me with other cyclists. It shows my support for a beautiful cause of fighting cancer. Also athletic minded folks wear them and I love connecting with them through it. You should relate to people with it... even if no exchange is really made. Such a positive statement. Plus the happy color of yellow on my arm puts a smile on my face.
Old 03-17-06, 01:49 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 300 Posts
I got my first in summer '04 on a business trip to Chicago (before I moved here). Picked it up at the Performance in Northbrook. I got asked for 2-3 months if I had gone to Disney, or Cedar Point. One guy asked if it got me on the big kid rides. I saw a lot of dropped faces when I explained what it meant, followed by my stories about my Grandfather, Aunt, and Uncle who all died from cancer.

That was followed by the "oh what does your's stand for" when the bands got big. Now it's just kind of a part of me. I bought a new one a couple of weeks ago at the Nike Outlet in Aurora. I'll have one on for quite a while longer. I don't care what anyone thinks about Lance, I just think **** cancer.

Old 03-17-06, 01:57 AM
vilelamb
I'll get there

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same deal. I got mine soon as they were out. I wasn't into cycling then, didn't even own a bike. I just thought it was neat, gave one to my friend and mom. I would randomly see people wearing 'em and be excited, because so few did. Then WHAMO everyone had one! I still have the same one on my wrist, seems like everyone else is on their 2nd or 3rd, this one has lasted two years! *knocks on wood*
Old 03-17-06, 02:27 AM
rickkko
TREK 2300 owner

Bikes: '04 Trek 2300, '77 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got mine after TdF04. I was in a LBS, their phone was literally ringing off the hook! I asked why. They said it was people looking for the yellow braclets. I hadn't a clue what he was talking about but I overheard him tell one caller that he'd have a bunch in the following Tuesday.

I had to go back and see what this 'craze' was. I learned and immediately bought five of them because I believed in the cause. I gave three away immediately and the forth to someone in December who was visiting the US from Italy and knew of them. Turned out to be a special gift for him.

I've had mine on since the day I first put it on. I wear it because I'm participating in a 11-yr cancer prevention stud and its a way of reminding others to support cancer research when they ask about it. It also inspires me to keep riding.

Besides going out and buying the braclet or wearing just wearing one, an even better thing to do for your fellow man is to participate in a cancer prevention study. If you ever get the opportunity, I urge you to sign up. Its the best way we know on how to find preventive cancer medicene. The world might just become a little bit healthier because of your participation.

..rickko..
PS. I have no intention of taking mine off. At least I plan on wearing it till the clinical trial is over in about 9 more years. I saw an interview where Lance was asked how long he planned to wear his. He said, "Forever." I agree with him.
Old 03-17-06, 03:39 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
got mine in early june '04 from a friend and ex-teammate who didn't just think about ordering some, but did. we're both members of the special lance club - we're ***********s.

started with similar questions. then the Portugal '04 kicked in and my friends noticed a lot of the players wearing them.

Rode through the entire summer and only saw 2 (this is in Europe - by the time i went back to the US they were a dime a dozen on cyclists).

Then the trendy stuff - not because of Kerry, but because it was a must have accessory for kids going back to school.

Recently took mine off. Thought enough was enough. For some reason i put it back on a few days ago.

Last edited by botto; 03-17-06 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-17-06, 06:35 AM
TitaniuMerlin
Boffin

Bikes: 2003 LeMond Alpe d'Huez, 2000 Merlin Road Titanium (Carbon Fiber Front Fork)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got mine when it first came out in NikeTown NYC. Avid cyclists and best friends mom is a cancer survivor. Not to mention a girl in my year of HS was suffering from hand cancer. Sadly, she died from it about a year after graduation. Big shock to tall of us, as last we had heard was that she was responding well to treatment.

What i dont like is seeing all those other bands out there that are along for the ride. For instance, over the summer in some stores around here, i saw ones that said Pittsburgh Steelers or Eagles, with corresponding colors. Thats definately not for a cause (though both teams do suck and need some help in that department) and is up there along with those 50 million other ones that are riding the bandwagon the the LIVEStrong Band has made.
Old 03-17-06, 07:00 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I got mine a couple years ago and am on my second one (first one broke). I wear it every day and don't really get many comments on it. I wear it because my father is a survivor and my wife's grandmother and father are both sufferers. I have also ridden in 3 LAF events and will be doing at least one a year until they are no more...great cause.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.