Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Getting doored by a moving car

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-14-07, 08:09 PM
sswartzl

Bikes: GT Palomar, Trek 7500, Trek Navigator 300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This occurred a few weeks ago: I'm on the commute home, and glancing in my mirror while approaching a intersection I see a car coming up behind me, positioned to pass by me on the left. Nothing unusual in that, except that as I was looking back, I see the passenger-side door start to swing open. It got about halfway open, then closed a couple seconds before the car passed me. As it goes by I see two teenagers smiling at each other.

Had I not been looking back I would never have known it occurred. It seems they thought it was kind of a funny idea, simulating taking out the cyclist with the door. Had I been less focused on being angry, I would have noted the license plate and called the cops on the spot, for whatever good it would have done.

Beside the whole thing being not as amusing to me as it was to them, I also wonder how things could have worked out badly, especially if perhaps they pushed that door a little too hard and it got out of their control.
Old 04-14-07, 08:37 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 04-14-07, 08:40 PM
DoB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One part of me calls this toying with assault with a deadly weapon. Another part of me was a teeneager once who did a bunch of stupid things but never hurt anyone and never got caught being dumb.

What they did is a bit dangerous, but I don't think they ever intended to actually hit you. There is such a mindset now for authorities to ruin the lives of young people over pranks I think I might hesitate to make a report.

Case in point: Some kids locally let the air out of the tires of the school bus fleet. This caused the district to close for the day. A few copycat kids did the same in other districts. Some were caught and the punishments are so draconian (felonies, tens of thousands in fines) that it make you wonder. Is a dumb prank really worth ruining an adolescents life?

Don't get me wrong.....even playing at killing a cyclist is a terrible idea. But with the way law enforcement works these days I wonder just where a report would wind up going.

I used to ride a motocycle. Some kids once passed me and threw stuff from the window at me. I followed them home and I told the one kid's dad what happened. He was obviously displeased and took care of some discipline right then and there. I think the loss of vehicle privledges and grounding worked on that kid and were probably better than whatever the cops could have come up with.
Old 04-15-07, 06:53 AM
some_guy282
Peaknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminds me of a video circulating on the inter webs a year or two ago. It was of some teens riding in a car, and they come up behind a kid riding his bike. One of the geniuses in the back opens his door and leans out to smack the cyclist in the back of the head. Instead, he slips out and smashes his face into the back of a parked car at about 20mph. Served him right. I tried finding the clip but couldn't.

edit:Nevermind. Found it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXUaJYI-38
Old 04-15-07, 10:05 AM
dynodonn 
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
I never had a carload of teens try to "door" me, but several months ago, a carload of them drove by me and one of the teens shot at me with a pellet gun. Luckily I had on thick raingear at the time, and the pellet was made of either wax or chalk. I was not able to get a license number of the car that the teens were in since it was around dusk. The carload of teens tried to make a second attempt to shoot me at a later stage of my commute, but I was able to evade them by taking a wooded trail. I notified the local law enforcement as I got home, but I really had little hope of them being able to do anything, and on the next several evening work commutes, I paid even closer attention to my rearview mirrror. About a month later, I read in our local newspaper about a teenage male being arrested for shooting at a neighbor's house with a pellet gun, and the teenager's resident was only a several blocks from were I was shot at, and I suspect it was probably the same person.
Old 04-15-07, 10:18 AM
dynodonn 
Banned.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by some_guy282
Reminds me of a video circulating on the inter webs a year or two ago. It was of some teens riding in a car, and they come up behind a kid riding his bike. One of the geniuses in the back opens his door and leans out to smack the cyclist in the back of the head. Instead, he slips out and smashes his face into the back of a parked car at about 20mph. Served him right. I tried finding the clip but couldn't.

edit:Nevermind. Found it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXUaJYI-38
Having been a teenage boy and having raised one, my only wish was that the boy had survived with some minor injuries and learned a lesson. My boy and I now look back on our good fortune, after doing far more "brilliant" stunts we both have done in our teens, and that we are still alive to talk about them.
Old 04-15-07, 10:24 AM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4069 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 101 Posts
DO they not realize how dosconcerting this crap is? Last summer at about 1045pm I had a carload (4) teenagers (i think) throw a beachball at me. It is no big deal as it was a beachball but having a carload of peolpe come upon you and throw something at you just isnt funny.
Old 04-15-07, 10:47 AM
kjohnnytarr
Instigator at best

Bikes: Motobecane Jury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DoB
What they did is a bit dangerous, but I don't think they ever intended to actually hit you. There is such a mindset now for authorities to ruin the lives of young people over pranks I think I might hesitate to make a report.
Extremely true. Happened to me as a lad. I'd have certainly taken it up with the kids on my own time though. If you said something, it'd be more meaningful than just calling the cops.
Old 04-15-07, 12:32 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DoB
Case in point: Some kids locally let the air out of the tires of the school bus fleet. This caused the district to close for the day. A few copycat kids did the same in other districts. Some were caught and the punishments are so draconian (felonies, tens of thousands in fines) that it make you wonder. Is a dumb prank really worth ruining an adolescents life?
Not that prank. When a "prank" puts someone else's life in danger, I do think a felony should be involved. I doubt it would be, though. The sad fact is that most people in positions of authority do regard letting the air out of school bus tires a more serious offense than trying to hurt or kill someone riding a bike.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 04-15-07, 03:19 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was hit by what I think was a pellet from a paint gun once in a fairly rural area. It hit my ankle and splattered on my legs and around the bottom bracket. It must have been a long distance shot as there was no cover within 30 - 40 yds. The impact wasn't painful and after I discovered that the red stuff wasn't coming out of me I was too relieved to look for more trouble. If it had hit my face it might have been more serious though.
Old 04-15-07, 05:05 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Not that prank. When a "prank" puts someone else's life in danger, I do think a felony should be involved. I doubt it would be, though. The sad fact is that most people in positions of authority do regard letting the air out of school bus tires a more serious offense than trying to hurt or kill someone riding a bike.
Letting the air out of the tires of all the school buses might be just as serious. In many places, school buses are major parts of evacuation plans. This prank at the wrong time could be very serious.
Old 04-15-07, 06:14 PM
DoB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Letting the air out of the tires of all the school buses might be just as serious. In many places, school buses are major parts of evacuation plans. This prank at the wrong time could be very serious.
Evacuation from what? This is Detroit. No volcanoes, no floods, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, not much of a terrorist target.

No, the bigger deal with the bus prank is that the actual daily operating costs of some of the affected districts is close to $1 million. Plus all those working parents have to scramble to cover an unexpected "snow day". I don't want to make too light of this stupid bus prank, but let's leave it where it belongs.....a malicious prank that cost a lot of money. Nobody died and nobody was likely too.
Old 04-15-07, 06:42 PM
some_guy282
Peaknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Having been a teenage boy and having raised one, my only wish was that the boy had survived with some minor injuries and learned a lesson. My boy and I now look back on our good fortune, after doing far more "brilliant" stunts we both have done in our teens, and that we are still alive to talk about them.
I don't know for certain if he died or not. If I had to guess I'd say he's alive. When that video first surfaced there were all kinds of rumors and people claiming to know him in person who described different injuries and operations he had to have, but I had never heard he was dead until that YouTube video description.
Old 04-15-07, 07:05 PM
KnhoJ
Mister Goody Two Shoes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had this happen twice this year, already. First one missed, the second I saw in my mirror and scooted out of range. I definitely won't be bringing it up with these kids; they're bored silly and out looking for anything to do, and "kick the bike f**" stands a good chance of being on the list of acceptable activities.
That's in addition to being shot at with paintball guns, bb guns, roman candles, and bottle rockets. The weirdest was the giant soda thrown by the roof surfer. I'm slowly catching on that it's a matter of riding the wrong road at the wrong time; alternatives are in the works.
Old 04-15-07, 07:44 PM
ItsJustMe
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KnhoJ
I've had this happen twice this year, already. First one missed, the second I saw in my mirror and scooted out of range. I definitely won't be bringing it up with these kids; they're bored silly and out looking for anything to do, and "kick the bike f**" stands a good chance of being on the list of acceptable activities.
If it were happening to me on a regular basis, I think I might take to carrying a fist-sized rock in my handlebar bag, ready to grab. Just lob it to your left as they pass. OOPS. Don't know how that happened! Gee, that's too bad about your windshield there.
Old 04-15-07, 08:09 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What the heck is wrong with people that they thing torturing other people is fun?
Old 04-16-07, 05:58 AM
gmule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding at night when a carload of kids turned off the lights, snuck up behind me and locked up the brakes. The skidding tires scared me pretty good. I returned the favor when they were at a traffic light a couple of miles up the road. I know that when I punched the passenger side window screaming get out of the F%^&*ng car they soiled themselves. Breaking the mirror off the door was an accident but you should have seen the look of terror they had. I doubt they will ever do anything like that again.