Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

NYPD = Bike Thieves???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 12:31 PM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYPD = Bike Thieves???

I was out to dinner last night in the Lower East Side in Manhattan, and all of a sudden a dozen or so police officers appeared and started cutting bikes from parking meters with an angle grinder. The cop I talked to said they were doing it where bikes had been sitting for more than 30 days...

They went so far as to cut the frame tubes on at least one vintage frame I saw when they couldn't get it off by just cutting the lock.

The woman whose frame had been made into multiple pieces was outside of the restaurant when we finished, she had parked it there a half-hour earlier. Has anyone heard of this before???

I was pretty shocked, and someone started taking pictures. By the time a few minutes had passed, a whole slew of folks came running out from bars and restaurants to grab their bikes before they got "cleared away." Pretty unreal, hope everyone remembers to keep an eye out so it doesn't happen to them.
Old 05-31-07, 12:55 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has been covered quite a bit by Transportation Alternatives in their e-bulletin. See here for results from their website.

Williamsburg police have been particularly bad about this. I thought East Village cops were supposed to be the good guys.
Old 05-31-07, 12:58 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yep, that happens. Police aren't very good at discriminating bikes from garbage, and ever since the RNC there's been a kind of cold war on between the NYPD and cyclists.
OTOH, the abandoned bikes can collect and crap up the place. There was a totally trashed bike abandoned chained to one of those no-crossing fences on my walk to work for about 9 months before someone -- police? sanitation? thief? shop owner? -- removed it.
Old 05-31-07, 01:18 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I wish the cops were a bit more careful I can't entirely blame them. Abandoned bikes have become a problem downtown. While I'm not in the habit of leaving my bike on a public street for more than a few minutes I would occasionally like to park my bike downstairs from my South Village apartment. Unfortunately there must be at least 30 bikes, and a motor scooter or two, parked on my block, chained to tree guards, various iron fences, and of course the two public bike racks. Most of these bikes have bent frames, missing wheels, and extensive rust indicating they're there for the long haul. If we don't clear away this clutter there's no room for those of us with functional bikes who actually need to use the racks.

Last edited by Stacy; 05-31-07 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 01:19 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Yet another reason I don't lock up my bike anywhere (bring the folder). Absolutely crazy.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 05-31-07, 01:21 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Stacy - good point. But if sanitation can put a sticker on a car that says you should have moved why can't the police come through, tag them, whatever still has the tags on after a few weeks go? It's not that hard to do - probably requires less manpower too.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 05-31-07, 01:31 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I see a good use for one of those magnesium framed bikes. I would love to see an officer start cutting one of those with an angle grinder.
Old 05-31-07, 01:32 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tagging them with a date is probably the best solution. It's also kinda crazy that it would be dealt with differently from one precinct to another. I'm in the Sixth Precinct where they don't seem to do anything about bikes.
Old 05-31-07, 03:48 PM
Recumbomatic

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
Most of these bikes have bent frames, missing wheels, and extensive rust indicating they're there for the long haul. If we don't clear away this clutter there's no room for those of us with functional bikes who actually need to use the racks.
Maybe you should TALK to the police about removing the junked bikes, before they spontaneously show up and remove every bike in sight.
Old 05-31-07, 03:58 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's a bike that is periodically chained to poles, fences, racks, etc., an idea might be to have a laminated dayglo card printed on both sides secured around the frame that says something like this:

-- N.Y.P.D. --
Do not remove bicycle. Owner nearby.
Cellular: 212-999-9999

That might prevent some problems, but who knows...
Old 05-31-07, 04:35 PM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superslomo
The woman whose frame had been made into multiple pieces was outside of the restaurant when we finished, she had parked it there a half-hour earlier. Has anyone heard of this before???

I was pretty shocked, and someone started taking pictures.

Wowee! Where are these pictures? Who is this woman?

And Stacy: Where is the "South Village"? Is that somewhat north of TriBeCa Heights?
Old 05-31-07, 05:05 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bklyn
And Stacy: Where is the "South Village"? Is that somewhat north of TriBeCa Heights?
South of Washington Square, West of Noho, East of the West Village, but not quite Soho.
Old 05-31-07, 05:31 PM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah. So you live under the Fiorello LaGuardia statue?
Old 05-31-07, 07:26 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah. So you live under the Fiorello LaGuardia statue?
Right around the corner - somewhere between the proposed Bleecker Street bikelane and the proposed Prince Street bikelane
Old 05-31-07, 08:02 PM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe that you're referring to what Dante called Limbo. You'll share those bike lanes with the unbaptized and the poets of antiquity.
Old 05-31-07, 08:41 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe that you're referring to what Dante called Limbo. You'll share those bike lanes with the unbaptized and the poets of antiquity.
Brings a whole new meaning to Share The Road.
Old 05-31-07, 09:08 PM
Eureka
Not so Senior Member

Bikes: Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winner!

Now that was a witty post!
Old 06-01-07, 06:01 AM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that was a nice thing to say! Especially coming from "Blonde on Blonde"-era Bob!

But back to the problem at hand: the TA links to this are a bit wonky. We don't see any pictures of NY Finest with Angle Grinders. There's got to be some photographic evidence somewhere, no?
Old 06-01-07, 06:10 AM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm afraid the guy with the camera was across the street from me, and I didn't have mine with me when it played out. I didn't know him, so I don't have pictures of the goings on.
Old 06-01-07, 06:43 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder if you can get reimbursed for a damaged/destroyed frame if your bike had only been there for 30 mins., not 30 days. It's illegal to lock up to anything but a bike rack which makes parking a bike frustrating. You want to obey the law to keep stuff like this from happening to you, but there's not a lot of bike racks available for us to lock up. Maybe we should all call the city to have them install free bike racks in places we frequent the most.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 06-01-07, 09:25 AM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
Right around the corner - somewhere between the proposed Bleecker Street bikelane and the proposed Prince Street bikelane
The avaricious realtors have given every four block area a name. Everything west of Broadway used to be called the Village when I lived there. TriBeCa was just "way downtown." People tell me the East Village was the Lower East Side along with the less gentrified sections below Houston although I don't remember those days.
Old 06-01-07, 10:13 AM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly. If you remember when it was all the East Village, you weren't there, man.
Old 06-01-07, 10:59 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
The avaricious realtors have given every four block area a name. Everything west of Broadway used to be called the Village when I lived there. TriBeCa was just "way downtown." People tell me the East Village was the Lower East Side along with the less gentrified sections below Houston although I don't remember those days.
Nowadays the South Village is the non-historic part of the Village.. but locals are working on that. They've proposed a South Village Historic District
Old 06-03-07, 06:48 AM
geo8rge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"cold war on between the NYPD and cyclists."
That would not say much about the police, since most cyclists are not politically involved and just use the bike for transportation. Personally I think the police were just ordered to clear the street of bikes.

Special hint, you can tell an abandoned bike because:
1) The Chain is rusted solid, does not flex
2) wheels are bent and damaged.
3) It is missing important parts

As far as I am concerned people who own property should be able to post a note giving 48 hr notice that a bike will be cut. I do not see this as a police responsibility.
Old 06-03-07, 11:32 AM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in DC, DDOT places a laminated card onto bikes that have been noted as abandoned. It has a date on the card, and gives the owner 30 days from said date to remove the bike. After that, DDOT can remove the bike with whatever method works, up to and including destroying the frame.

But the cards are very easy to spot and clearly worded - and effective, from what I've seen. Perhaps NYPD could be so clear.

Oh, wait a minute - it's the NYPD. Nevermind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.