Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bar End Shifters vs Stem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bar End Shifters vs Stem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 07:30 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar End Shifters vs Stem

What do you think? I have used both and think I prefer bar-ends...
Old 10-09-09, 07:39 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only bike that I have with bar ends works well. I just haven't quite gotten used to them. They're friction and don't miss or anything, I guess I never gave them a chance. Seems family members and such that borroww it when they visit have no problem with them. The same individuals who find DT shifters very difficult.
Old 10-09-09, 07:46 PM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
I like the crispness of down tube shifters, and I like the way very little of the cable run requires housing. I think index barends work better for anything over 6 cogs.

I think the Ultegra indexed 8-speed barcons, available for as litte as $56 including cables, housing, and cable guides, are a tremendous bargain. The Rivendell pods are also great, if you already have compatible shift levers.

If you are upgrading a bike that came with stem-shifters, the built-in downtown cable guides on many stem-shifter equipped bikes are bar-con ready.
Old 10-09-09, 07:50 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
[quote=Whit51;9831169]I like the crispness of down tube shifters, and I like the way very little of the cable run requires housing. I think index barends work better for anything over 6 cogs. ]

but DT shifters are not stem shifters! I have a pair of Suntour barcons on a bike and just set up a Nexus with a bar end. I love the 'retro' look of the barends.

I have not used stem shifters since my Royce Union was stolen. they work but are perceived as cheap since they usually adorm lowend bikes.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 10-09-09 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 08:02 PM
Whit51 

Didn't read the original question correctly.. for me, bar-ends are far superior to stem-shifters. I've only seen one really good bike with stem shifters--- a Centurion Pro Tour. I'm sure stem shifters are a good choice for some riders who like to stay more upright, though.
Old 10-09-09, 08:04 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i prefer thumb.
Old 10-09-09, 08:19 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Whit51
. I'm sure stem shifters are a good choice for some riders who like to stay more upright, though.
Thats the way I feel. I like the big horkin old Schwinn stem shifters with an upright seating position...they're like freakin stick shifts, they're HUGE!

I've never had barcons but I don't particularly like the looks of the cable runs for them.
Old 10-09-09, 08:34 PM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the crispness of down tube shifters, and I like the way very little of the cable run requires housing.
You have my vote for president of the DT Shifter Club!

I love the 105 shifters on my Portland but, I find myself shifting perhaps too much.
With DT shifters, you have to put some thought into which gear you want to be in and stay in it longer.
You tend to look further down the road. And, once you get used to them, you reach down without even looking anymore. I have indexed DT shifters on my '95 Le Tour and that RD just snaps into gear in a split second, up or down. It's all about the cable tension isn't it?
Old 10-09-09, 08:35 PM
snappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure stem shifters are a good choice for some riders who like to stay more upright, though.
stem shifters are usually the wrong solution to that problem.
Old 10-09-09, 09:51 PM
bluenote157

Bikes: Surly CC, Raleigh Team Pro, Specialized Rockhopper with an xtracycle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
friction bar ends.. get some suntour retro friction or diacompe silvers and mount them to shimano pods.. these rock! and feel oh so good! veloorange.com
Old 10-09-09, 09:56 PM
Weasel9
Dumpster cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I've removed probably about 5 times as many stem shifters from old bikes than ridden a bike with stem shifters. They're just awful. Since you don't have anything to push on to counteract the force you're exerting on the shift lever, you end up pushing or pulling your handlebars off course. Also, they move when you steer, so you end up chasing them around the stem trying to get into the right gear.

I love the barends on my touring bike. I can just switch my hand to the lower grip and shift away.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but can anyone think of some decent 7-speed indexed barends off the top of their head? And for extra credit, where to pick them up?
Old 10-09-09, 10:05 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Weasel9
I think I've removed probably about 5 times as many stem shifters from old bikes than ridden a bike with stem shifters. They're just awful. Since you don't have anything to push on to counteract the force you're exerting on the shift lever, you end up pushing or pulling your handlebars off course. Also, they move when you steer, so you end up chasing them around the stem trying to get into the right gear.

I love the barends on my touring bike. I can just switch my hand to the lower grip and shift away.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but can anyone think of some decent 7-speed indexed barends off the top of their head? And for extra credit, where to pick them up?
Shimano used to make 'em. I may have a pair knocking about. PM me if you are interested.
Old 10-10-09, 12:43 AM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Initially I found the stem shifters on my Motobecane difficult to use for all the reasons described by Weasel9, plus the fact that they were quite stiff and difficult for me to move. However, now I have gotten quite accustomed to them and enjoy the feeling of using them. Still, if I were putting a bike together from scratch, I would go with bar-ends because of the danger of impaling yourself on stem shifters during a fall.
Old 10-10-09, 04:04 AM
custermustache

Bikes: 1968 Falcon San Remo 1973 Raleigh International, 1974 Schwinn Suburban, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1992 Univega Ultraleggera, 2007 Dahon Vitesse DH7G

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only bike I have with stem shifters is a Sxhwinn Suburban that I cruise around on - but if I'm riding "fast" I don't like taking my hands off of the bars to shift. Bar ends solve the problem. I don't care for DT shifters either, for the same reason.
Old 10-10-09, 04:29 AM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've ridden with everything but brifters and rod controlled derailleurs: DT, Bar-ends, Stem, Twist, Thumb, Rapidfire

I don't care for any more than another. They all serve their intended purpose, they pull your derailleurs. And each has a different purpose for each person and the kind of bike they're building/riding.
-Gene-
Old 10-10-09, 05:11 AM
snappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Weasel9
an 8 speed shifter should work, and they are readily available.
Old 10-10-09, 06:51 AM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Bar ends are cooler. My stem shifter bike has Northroads bars and they (the shifters) are no problem to use. They've got that nice little chroms Schwinn "S" on them so they've got some class. Bar ends are still cooler, though.
Old 10-10-09, 08:41 AM
ClydesterD

Bikes: '97 W'ford X-11, '00 W'ford RS-22; '06 VO Rando; '07 Surly Cross-Check; '08 VO Pass Hunter; Riv Homer Hilsen; '09 Riv Sam Hillborne; '09 VO Polyvalent; '11 Rich Adams; '13 VO Campeur; '17 Riv Cheviot

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar ends, by far. When perusing Craigslist or ebay, the second I see stem shifters I move on.
Old 10-10-09, 08:44 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonderful posts! Thanks for the input...next question

Does anyone have an extra set of bar ends they would pass on to me?
Old 10-10-09, 12:00 PM
Everhandy
Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifter preferences are quite personal and subjective, who's to say what is the best?

Me, I voted with my wallet and got a bike with Shimao 105 STI's. They are simply awesome.

On the vintage side, I like DT shifters for the precision and coolness factor. I also think there are a lot of stem mounted shifter haters out there. That puzzles me because I've had quite a few very nice bikes that had stem mounted shifters. I especially love the large Schwinn shifters with the big S on them, they are beautiful. Sure, there were a lot of cheap bikes with stem shifters but that was the standard shifter of the day back then. Most sport bikes were made with ergonomics in mind, not everybody races.

As far as bar end shifters are concerned, I know they are the preferred shifter for touring bikes because they are simple, cheap, reliable and easy to repair on the road. However, I think you lose some precision due to the length of the cable and housing and over time, that becomes even more of a factor.
Old 10-10-09, 12:03 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the bar ends better than the stem.
Old 10-10-09, 01:45 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Shimano bar ends, the old style that have counter springs like the Simplex Retrofriction.

Best barcons ever!
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 10-10-09, 02:14 PM
KtotheF

Bikes: Scott CR1, 1986 Guerciotti SLX, Mystery Ti Bike, 1990 Diamondback EX fixie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snappy
an 8 speed shifter should work, and they are readily available.
+1

I was looking for 7 speed barend shifters for a while, couldn't find any, then someone told me that 7 and 8 speed shifters pull the same amount of cable, so 8 speed barend shifters will index no problem, and they're quite easy to find on ebay.

Somebody mentioned ultegra 8spd barends + cables and housing for under $60? Where are those?
Old 10-10-09, 03:20 PM
Allan Pollock

Bikes: 1987 Marinoni ; 1994 Miyata 621; 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it would depend on whether you spend more time on the tops or in the drops.
Tops - use stem shifters
drops - use bar ends

That said, my personal bias is for bar ends (I have them on 2 out of three road bikes and love them).

Allan
Old 10-10-09, 03:38 PM
Whit51 

Somebody mentioned ultegra 8spd barends + cables and housing for under $60? Where are those?

Jenson USA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.