Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lasik anyone?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lasik anyone?

Old 08-29-12, 09:19 PM
JonnyUtah75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lasik anyone?

I'm going in for a Lasik consultation next week. My glasses were destroyed due to canine interaction (read: my dog ate them). Has anyone had it done, and how long until you were back on the bike? I have a metric charity ride in 3 weeks, and wondering I'll be back in time.

Also, any cycling related issues you guys have had, like extra dry eyes from the wind or anything else?

Thanks
Old 08-29-12, 09:21 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had it done 5 years ago. Was back on the bike within days, maybe 1 week. No issues with dry eyes, but I always always wear eye protection when I ride.
Old 08-29-12, 09:25 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had ICL surgery in January. Was functioning by the end of the week. ALWAYS wear sunglasses outside (while the sun is out of course) and eye protection of every/any kind while riding.
Old 08-29-12, 09:42 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would like to do it but 5% of people are not elligible for it and I am one. My option is PRK which was what people did before Lasik. The end results are the same but the recovery with PRK is much longer.
Old 08-29-12, 11:08 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it, LOVE it, highly recommend it if ur a candidate and are going to a good doctor.

My bike and car combined didn't cost as much as the $5k I spent on Lasic, still the best money I have ever spent on myself.
Old 08-29-12, 11:29 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had PRK; took me months to get my eyesight back to decent condition. Now, 9 months later, perfect vision, better than 20/20; that from a starting point of seeing the world clearly out to only 6" in front of my face. I was borderline for Lasik because my cornea is larger than average; I was given the option and opted for PRK to minimize the risk of nighttime vision diffraction issues (halos, starbursts, etc.). Also, I was a bit skeeved by the whole flap thing as well.

With lasik, you'll be back to doing stuff with good vision in a day. However, the flap isn't fully healed for a half year or so, so it is susceptible to trama (read: crash) dislodging the flap. You might also get dry eyes, which riding might exacerbate. Don't go cheap. I would stay away from any place which advertises on the radio. Talk to your optometrist to get a recommendation; the optometrist has to treat the patients after the surgery, so they are the ones in the position to see the outcomes from different surgeons.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-29-12, 11:39 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff View Post
I had PRK; took me months to get my eyesight back to decent condition. Now, 9 months later, perfect vision, better than 20/20; that from a starting point of seeing the world clearly out to only 6" in front of my face. I was borderline for Lasik because my cornea is larger than average; I was given the option and opted for PRK to minimize the risk of nighttime vision diffraction issues (halos, starbursts, etc.). Also, I was a bit skeeved by the whole flap thing as well.

With lasik, you'll be back to doing stuff with good vision in a day. However, the flap isn't fully healed for a half year or so, so it is susceptible to trama (read: crash) dislodging the flap. You might also get dry eyes, which riding might exacerbate. Don't go cheap. I would stay away from any place which advertises on the radio. Talk to your optometrist to get a recommendation; the optometrist has to treat the patients after the surgery, so they are the ones in the position to see the outcomes from different surgeons.
With PRK are both eyes operated on at the same time? Were you able to function at work during the first few months after surgery? I would like to give PRK a try.
Old 08-29-12, 11:52 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^
Yup, both eyes at the same time. I think I had it done on a Thursday; took Thursday, Friday and I think the next Monday off and was back to work on Tuesday of the following week. The first couple days after the surgery I was basically useless. Couldn't drive, couldn't read, could barely see the TV and I went through a stint where I had a bunch of stinging pain (like someone shoved a big sliver in my eye) in one eye for a couple hours. I drove myself to work on Tuesday (and to the surgeon on Monday). I couldn't read any street signs, but could see well enough to be safe if I knew where I was going. I work as an engineer, so as soon as I could read (which took about a week), I could be productive. I used some reading glasses for a while to help it out.

I had to have my computer fonts made big for the first couple months and I had doubled vision for about three or four months. Also a bit of dry eye. 9 months out, all of that is mostly gone and still on a long taper. I've been told the dry eye will persist for a year or more as the nerves in the cornea grow back (it's still there a little, but I stopped using eye drops about 4 months in), but all in all, I have excellent vision, no more glasses or contacts, and it's been a life changer. I had no idea how much of my life revolved around my contact lenses until I didn't need them anymore. Best 3 grand I've ever spent.

The big advantage to PRK is while, yea, for six months your life is a bit weird, but on the other hand, as my optometrist says, at least I can rub my eyes without worrying about that flap coming dislodged.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 08-30-12 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-30-12, 04:47 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 60 Posts
Did it 11 years ago serious bad eyes correction of -12 and -13 in each eye. I could not even wear glasses to get proper correction only contacts. Best thing I did and I ran my usual 8 miles the next day. Could have road a bike too but was not cycling then as much.
Old 08-30-12, 05:09 AM
Mikevt1

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 6 Carbon, Salsa Vaya 2, Trek DS 8.4, Motobecane Vent Noir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it, both eyes at the same time. Days later was riding. I've never looked back. One point, I used to wear glasses for everything EXCEPT reading. I had to remove my glasses to read. Now, post Lasik, I only wear glasses for reading. The Dr. told me that I would need reading glasses when the surgery was done. I was in essence, trading distance glasses for reading glasses. I happily made the trade as now I wear glasses only a fraction of my day instead of nearly all day for everything. I carry reading glasses in my seat wedge bag so that I can see clearly if I need to service my bike.
Old 08-30-12, 06:26 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Had lasik done 7 or 8 years ago. I've experienced no long term side effects and it was the best thing I ever did. My astigmatism was on the edge of what they could correct, and my vision is still better than 20/20.

After the surgery, for the first month halos were so bad I couldn't drive at night and they gradually went away over the period of a year. One thing that was especially cool is I used to have no useful peripheral vision and now it is outstanding. I do not think you'll be ready in 3 weeks for the simple reason that you need a bunch of appointments before the surgery so it's not like you can just walk in one day and have it done.
Old 08-30-12, 08:42 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had lasik about 10 years ago. The machines they used at the time were rather imposing, but the procedure is short and you can just get up and walk out when they finish. You'll want someone to pick you up as the procedure leaves you useless for a few days. Pretty much the next morning you wake to a new world of clear sight (rather disconcerting) and, at least back then a few days of feeling like someone dumped a bucket of sand in your eyes.

I still think its the best thing I ever could have done to my eyes. The world is so much more fun when you can see without corrective aids. Sadly, ten years later I've had to start using glasses for one eye again. It doesn't bother me much as the side effects (lights look like starbursts at night and bright light HURTS) require sunglasses or tinting on a bright day.
Old 08-30-12, 09:07 AM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't add much as I'm part of the 5% mentioned above who aren't good candidates. Did want to mention that when my wife had Lasik done she took 1/2 a valium before the procedure and found it really helpful.
Old 08-30-12, 09:28 AM
TheGBKid

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Had it done 6 years ago on a Friday. Was able to function on Saturday as if nothing happened - except I could see without contacts. Best advise I can give you is stay up all night before the procedure so when you're done, you'll sleep for a long time - it's the best recovery for this procedure. The more sleep you can get after the procedure, the better your eyes can begin the healing process. Still better than 20/20 and LOVE it!
Old 08-30-12, 09:30 AM
VegasVic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had lasik around ten years ago For me it truly is the one thing that's better than sliced bread. I went from not being able to see a damned thing further than 10 feet away from me, to 20/10 in both eyes.
Old 08-30-12, 09:54 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
Did want to mention that when my wife had Lasik done she took 1/2 a valium before the procedure and found it really helpful.
I don't see that as necessary, but looking through your eyes while someone is operating on them is a very surreal experience.
Old 08-30-12, 10:38 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The guys I used just out and out gave us a "happy pill" before the procedure.
Old 08-30-12, 10:39 AM
moralleper

Bikes: '10 C'Dale CAAD9 4, '09 S-Works Tricross, Gary Fisher Tassahara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had it down 3 years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. I was back to normal vision in a couple of days. I did have some halos when driving at night for a while but that goes away. I have 20/15 vision now.
Old 08-30-12, 12:13 PM
Gjc985

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went for a 25 mile ride and the contact in my right eye fell out at mile 12, I was able to get it back in after spraying it with water. At mile 22 it fell out again and was gone. This has happened a few times, always my right eye. If I didn't just buy a new bike I would get Lasik in a second. Time to save some money... Enjoy the LASIK!!!!!
Old 08-30-12, 12:37 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 325 Posts
I thought PRK was the old way and was replaced by LASIK ? Guess not

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-30-12, 12:40 PM
Crappymonkey
Guitar Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like I should get some kind of corrective eye surgery (my eyes are only about -4 and I use contacts) but reading these posts about eye flaps and double vision and stuff makes my hands sweat. I'm a serious baby when it comes to eyeballs. I can watch the natiest horror films but when something happens to an eyeball I get freaked out.
Old 08-30-12, 12:45 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
I thought PRK was the old way and was replaced by LASIK ? Guess not
LASIK augments PRK. Those with thin corneas in proportion to the size of their pupils require PRK as the procedure does not cut as much from the cornea.

The same machines are used for both procedures; the only difference is the patient prep. With LASIK, the flap is cut and pulled back. With PRK there is a layer of cells literally scrubbed from the surface of the eye. The only benefit of LASIK is the short recovery time. PRK has better outcomes once you get past the months long recovery period.
Old 08-30-12, 01:04 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crappymonkey View Post
I feel like I should get some kind of corrective eye surgery (my eyes are only about -4 and I use contacts) but reading these posts about eye flaps and double vision and stuff makes my hands sweat. I'm a serious baby when it comes to eyeballs. I can watch the natiest horror films but when something happens to an eyeball I get freaked out.
Yea. This attitude kept me from surgery for years. Which is a good thing because technology keeps progressing; the lasers and vision correction models keep getting better and better. Finally I was having a lot of problems with my contacts (they kept drying out and giving me a lot of eye strain in the afternoon) and it was either go back to glasses (thick, heavy ones at that), or get surgery. Made no sense for me, driving a desk and looking at a computer screen all day, to wear contacts anymore. My optometrist had me see an outfit local to Portland who specializes in laser correction and cataract surgery and who goes by referral only. They were good and told me everything straight up.
Old 08-30-12, 03:32 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two years ago this coming December. I was watching television that evening, and drove myself back for my follow-up appointment the next morning. You'll be fine in three weeks. You should wear eye protection anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. My eyes were very dry for a while, but it got better. They've been dry this summer too. No idea whether or not that has to do with the surgery, but drops a few times a day take care of that.

4K (minus 10% discount for cash) with Dr. Beran in Columbus, OH. Highly recommended.

BTW, I was like 20/400 with lots of astigmatism before.
Old 08-30-12, 03:47 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It would be great if the surgery would eliminate the need for glasses completely but I will still need readers. I know that there has been progress at eliminating the need for reading glasses but I hear it is still in the development stage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.