Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

West Maui loop

Old 02-21-13, 07:57 PM
boatbuilder

Bikes: Electra Townie, Trek Road (project 1)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
West Maui loop

I'm not really a bike rider YET but my wife and I bought comfort cruisers last fall and really enjoyed them. So much that I have been wanting to do road biking so I bought a Lemonds exercise bike and have been using it since December faithfully. When I first started on it I could only do about 5 minutes due to sore butt and out of shape. My longest ride so far has been 1-1/2 hours. I have lost 53 lbs doing so as well. I started at 265 and now down to 212. My goal was to be 210 by the time we left for holidays in Maui but I'm happy with results so far. I still have a ways to go but I'm enjoying the journey.
My friend that came on holidays with my wife and I rented road bikes to do some riding. Never knew anything about the West Maui Loop but found out about it while picking up our rental bikes. My buddy, who has also went from being 265 to 185 has already been riding for a year but is about 10 years older than me. We left our resort this morning and started riding and decided we would ride as far as we could on the loop and then call our wives to come pick us up when we were pooped out. Well, we just kept slugging it out at our slow pace and stopped to look at scenery every once in a while and before we knew it we were only about 15 miles from our resort. We knew we could finish and did. It took us 5-1/2 hours but we are happy just completely the 60+ mile trip. It is by far the furthest either one of us road so far. We are both a little sore but overall still doing well.
Jim
Old 02-22-13, 11:39 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
So what's the West Maui Loop? Share please, I may be headed out there this summer.

Next up - ride UP Mt. Haleakala. C'mon, you can do it!
Old 02-22-13, 01:23 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
If you are talking about the whole west side of the island, that means some very windy and narrow roads along the north part. Very beautiful but the road is one lane in some places and trucks go through there.
Old 02-23-13, 12:28 AM
boatbuilder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it was the whole loop around the north west of Maui. Approx 60 miles and the wind was head on most of the way around. The road gets down to 1 lane traffic but all the vehicles we met were very kind and gave us the right of way. It was very hilly ride and there was 1 spot that we had to walk up. It was .6 mile with I think 850' elevation gain. It was early in the ride and didn't want to burn out and have to call the wives to pick us up.
We are doing another ride on Monday with a group. They take us to the top of Mount Haleakala and we watch the sun rise at the top then ride downhill for 28 miles. There is 8 in our group and this is a ride everyone can enjoy.
if you google "West Maui Loop" it will show you what it is all about. I would recommend it to all bikers to give it a try.
jim
Old 02-23-13, 01:25 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Nay, ride UP Haleakala. Then ride down.
Old 02-23-13, 02:44 AM
boatbuilder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could. Sounds like a real world class up hill ride. Remember, I am new rider that has only ridden a road bike once for any length of time and that was yesterday. Someday I hope to be in good enough shape to do the ride up hill
Old 02-23-13, 05:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Well, good for you for not loafing by the beach. My wife wants to go to Hawaii this summer and she's thinking Kauai, so there are a few good cycling opportunities there, but if she goes to Maui I'm in trouble. My ego will require me to try Haleakala and I don't think I'd make it.
Old 02-23-13, 09:28 PM
boatbuilder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some day I hope I could give Haleakala a try. Right now I'm just starting to bike ride and know I couldn't do it. I hope to try someday and know that I can always turn around when I couldn't go no further. Better trying it and not making it then not trying at all.
Old 02-23-13, 11:46 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Yeah, me too. I just hope I can keep my wife away from Maui until that day arrives!
Old 02-25-13, 12:56 PM
VegasVic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikemaui.com/west-maui-loop.php

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/7121235
Old 02-25-13, 01:13 PM
bigworm

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having driven up Haleakala...It's a beast. I so wanted to ride that volcano... Don't even know how I would train for it as flat as it is around where I live. Maybe one day....

OP great job on the west loop great scenery! Memory of a lifetime!
Old 02-25-13, 03:02 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I ever go back to Maui, this will be in the plans.

When we went we did the "veg by the beach and eat insane amounts of food each night" type of vacationing.