Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Building up My Schwinn Cimarron

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Building up My Schwinn Cimarron

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 11:18 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by reluctantsuburb
... I'm missing some pedals--guess I used them up on another bike--anyone have something they would recommend?
I've got a '90s Trek 970 with some Odyssey Grandstand v2 pedals. Big, platform-type, not exactly reminiscent of the period based on the look of the things. But they're very functional and work well for a more-upright "city" type bike. I like how they feel. Enough height on the pins to hold "city" shoes nicely, without tearing them up, and so much acreage on the surface of the pedals it makes them very easy to use. Relatively inexpensive, too.
Old 04-23-20, 08:12 PM
reluctantsuburb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Well the end (of the first iteration) is almost here. I got most of the parts on the bike. Tomorrow I'm meeting up with someone (at a safe distance, etc.) so I can make sure everything is good to go before taking it for its first ride.

Unfortunately, by the time I got all the pieces on the frame, the sun was down, so I'll have to settle for this bad picture in my garage. I'll get a better pic tomorrow.

I can already tell that I will want a new crankset eventually and likely new shifters and brake levers, but for now, I think it will be rideable. As I've been building it up, I'm starting to more fully understand how you don't really finish a bike, you just keep tinkering with it. Hoping that the sizing is closer to that elusive fit that I've been chasing.
Likes For reluctantsuburb:
Old 04-23-20, 11:26 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Wow, that's a nice tall frame. Definitely deserves the right crank.

vp-747 pedals are the right style and inexpensive if you're still looking
Old 04-24-20, 06:22 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
Wow, that's a nice tall frame. Definitely deserves the right crank.

vp-747 pedals are the right style and inexpensive if you're still looking
Thanks for the tip on pedals. Cranks are one of those things where I very much underestimated the variety and significance. I'm keeping an eye out!
Old 04-24-20, 08:14 AM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Looks great! This FSA Comet 1x crankset and BB just popped up in Dallas for $70 fyi! Not of the era, but a nice setup.
Old 04-24-20, 08:48 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al

Here's my 1986 (?) Cimarron, pretty much original but for the pedals. Last fall I started looking for a couple of nice older MTB bikes for wife and myself, and wrk101 had this one so we made the deal. I'm about 5' 6", wife is shorter but with long legs, so a small frame (this is 17" CTT

later...why?

On handlebars, North Roads can make a fine choice if you want upright.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 04-27-20, 09:59 AM
reluctantsuburb

Hey all,

Well, I had a bit of Bike Forums blessing. A member and I ended up connecting on here after realizing we lived only a few miles apart, and he was kind enough to significantly help with the final parts of the building, including raiding his own parts bin quite liberally. I'm really grateful to him!

Below are some pics. I just took it on a quick spin this morning but have not yet had a real chance to try it out. Hoping to get an hour ride in this afternoon. So far, the posture seems just right and it offers a stiffer/quicker acceleration than I would have guessed. Maybe that is simply because I am so used to riding a bike loaded down with racks, fenders, bags, etc.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to get some racks and fenders on here or leave it clean and simple.

Old 04-28-20, 01:49 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Bravo! Glad to see you got your Cimarron rolling. I love the Suntour rear deraileur. I'm curious about that stem -- can you tell us more about it? Brand?

Cheers,
Oliver H.
Old 04-29-20, 07:23 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by countalmaviva
Bravo! Glad to see you got your Cimarron rolling. I love the Suntour rear deraileur. I'm curious about that stem -- can you tell us more about it? Brand?

Cheers,
Oliver H.
Thanks Oliver! I appreciate your support throughout!

The stem and bars are both from Sunlite. I knew I wanted to be upright but didn't want to drop any serious money since I thought this might be the first of a few iterations. I think the stem is working well! I will say though, it has shown me I need some better grips.

Stem here; bars here. Feel free to ask any other questions or offer suggestions!

Since we're here...I am a couple hundred miles into this Brooks saddle and it is still stiff as it was when it came out of the box. It's starting to wear on me - I keep thinking surely it'll break in, but I'm not seeing any change. I conditioned with a bit of proofide on both sides when I purchased, but nothing since. Any tips?
Old 04-29-20, 02:16 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
My wife walked in while I was looking at your bike and when I pointed out your stem and bars said 'that's what it needs!' meaning the one I am fixing up for her. I think she's right. Thanks!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 04-29-20, 03:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Since we're here...I am a couple hundred miles into this Brooks saddle and it is still stiff as it was when it came out of the box. It's starting to wear on me - I keep thinking surely it'll break in, but I'm not seeing any change. I conditioned with a bit of proofide on both sides when I purchased, but nothing since. Any tips?
Try another dose of proofide top and bottom.

My "aged" saddle is hard as a rock and has a particularly tall hump on the nose; I've been tempted to soften it with a baseball bat more than once. Fortunately a slight tilt down removed the worst of the squashing of bits.

As for racks and fenders; I'm a big proponent of fenders, but ride it for awhile and see what it wants. Get to know each other.
Likes For Korina:
Old 04-29-20, 06:06 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Thanks Oliver! I appreciate your support throughout!

The stem and bars are both from Sunlite. I knew I wanted to be upright but didn't want to drop any serious money since I thought this might be the first of a few iterations. I think the stem is working well! I will say though, it has shown me I need some better grips.

Stem here; bars here. Feel free to ask any other questions or offer suggestions!

I have ridden my Brooks Professional saddle nearly continuously (e.g. I've always swapped bikes but kept the saddle) for about 20 years now. I would say that it didn't become the favorite that it now is until about 1000 miles in. I'm sure there are a lot of perspectives shared here about Brooks. Be patient. Definitely give it at least 1000 miles and definitely fiddle with saddle height and tilt.

By the way, I've been making fewer, but larger trips to the grocery store on my bike since the pandemic. For the last one, I carried 107 pounds of groceries, cat food, and cat litter in my four panniers. I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis or for a long distance, but the Cimarron was just fine for the 5 blocks home!

Cheers,
Oliver H.
Likes For countalmaviva:
Old 04-29-20, 07:06 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 430 Posts
Can't say that I'm in quite the same boat. I've got a Brooks B67 Aged saddle, myself, and I did a few treatments of the Proofide post-purchase. It's not nearly so board-stiff as many NIB non-"Aged" models, at least IMO.

I'm hopeful that once the good weather comes it'll be simple to complete the break-in over the next hundred miles or so. (Nothing I hate more than getting scrunched in a "vice" on a saddle.)
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 04-30-20, 10:45 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
A very nice looking build! A tip I got when I bought my first Brooks in a bike shop in the UK was to warm it in the oven and then put on the proofhide. It soaks into the leather much better and is more important for the underside of the saddle. That trick seemed to work for me with a B17N.
I have a green 1985 Cimarron and I love it. Pretty much stock but I went with a quill stem adapter and trekking bars. I have Fat Franks on it now and with that long wheel base it rides like a Cadillac.
Old 05-01-20, 07:34 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by badger_biker
A very nice looking build! A tip I got when I bought my first Brooks in a bike shop in the UK was to warm it in the oven and then put on the proofhide. It soaks into the leather much better and is more important for the underside of the saddle. That trick seemed to work for me with a B17N.
I have a green 1985 Cimarron and I love it. Pretty much stock but I went with a quill stem adapter and trekking bars. I have Fat Franks on it now and with that long wheel base it rides like a Cadillac.
Glad to hear you like your fat franks--I know tires will be one of the first upgrades I make!