Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flat tire good Samaritan question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flat tire good Samaritan question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 05:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I always carry spare inner tubes, usually at least 2. Several times I have stopped off seeing someone at the side of the road. My credo is to provide an inner tube to the person I am helping with condition that they pass the favour along.
Exactly this. I have done this at least a dozen times over the years. I have done other random roadside repairs as well, including truing up a minimally-spoked wheel that had popped a spoke and the spoke tension was so high that the rim deformed so much that it was unrideable; it was good enough to get her home.. Most recently was at Cino 2023, where I gave a tube to another rider and installed with the usual admonition to pay it forward some day and with a gentle suggestion that it is a good idea to know how to fix a flat.

One time during an event ride, I helped a young lady change a tube. She and her friends knew the basics, but could not figure out how to get the tire back on the rim. They handed me some tire levers (like I said, they knew the basics), but I said I'd try putting it on bare-handed first to avoid causing another puncture. The young lady expressed surprise that I might be able to do so. Her male friend said: "Are you kidding? Look at the size of him." (I am not a small person.) Made my day. Well, that and actually succeeding in installing the tire with no levers.

I (almost) always ask someone who looks like they might be having a mechanical if they have everything they need. If they say no, I stop to see if I can help. Usually I can, sometimes I can't. On several occasions, I have come across a rider who had just crashed and did what I could; this generally consists of telling them to stay down until injuries/damage can be assessed, convincing them that continuing their ride is a bad idea, and then helping them call for a ride. On the flip side, twice when I had bad crashes, a motorist going the other way turned around, stopped, made sure I was alright, packed up my bike and me, and drove me 10 or 15 miles out of their way to a safe place (home one time, a motel the other time). More folks are good people than are jerks, although the jerks tend to have an impact on one's day far out of proportion to their numbers.
Old 01-16-24, 05:27 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I have given tubes away before. I have received water from a car full of random strangers on the Trail of the Couer D'Alenes a couple years ago on a rather hot day. I always ask when i see a cyclist stopped. Since I live and ride in a rural area with a rather small town I don't see many.
Old 01-16-24, 06:56 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Roy are you a plumber? How can I leak check a PVC manifold for a vacuum system. I was told not to pressurize and use snoop because it could fail in a dangerous way?? 2 inch pvc probably a hundred feet or so, don’t want to put water in it. I care about leaks more than normal because it’s going to be under a higher vacuum than say a standard central vacuum for a house.

what do people normally do? Maybe some smoke that doesn’t leave a bad residue? In the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender they used rotten eggs for something similar checked for smell.

i feel like i am being lied to when they say it’s dangerous to snoop
Peppermint oil if you can seal the opening . someone puts it in and someone else does the smell check . If you can access it and if it is safe to do so you could run the vacuum and run a candle flame near the joints. It will pull the flame towards a leak. You can buy wind indicator at bow hunting supply store that puts out powder it would pull that towards leaks if running. PVC is rated for 5 pounds of air that is what we test sanitary systems at. At higher pressure it can come apart violently
Old 01-16-24, 07:13 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
Peppermint oil if you can seal the opening . someone puts it in and someone else does the smell check . If you can access it and if it is safe to do so you could run the vacuum and run a candle flame near the joints. It will pull the flame towards a leak. You can buy wind indicator at bow hunting supply store that puts out powder it would pull that towards leaks if running. PVC is rated for 5 pounds of air that is what we test sanitary systems at. At higher pressure it can come apart violently
thanks! Great ideas here.
Old 01-16-24, 09:45 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Last ride into the city I got back to the car and an old guy kitty corner to me was under the hood of his old truck, as I loaded the bike he came over to ask if I could give him a jump. Since I have a 10yo 175k mile minivan still on its original alternator and 6 year old battery with kids that leave the lights on I told him I could do one better and pulled out a jump pack.

Personally, I see someone walking or staring puzzled at their bike I always stop to offer a hand, 2021 was a banner year for giving away tubes on the bike path, went through 5 tubes and 6 co2 cartridges on other people's bikes. most don't seem to want or accept help. The one I had to intercede in last year a group of three friends were chatting outside a bathroom along the trail we were at, and one was demonstrating how easy it was to turn the handlebars on her bike by holding the wheel and twisting the bars around as the stem just slipped completely. The trail is a couple of miles of gentle climbing to that point from either direction so getting there on her 3sp internal old school styled schwinn probably wasn't an issue but it was also meant the return was a couple of miles of descent with turns along the way at a higher speed. I didn't bother asking if they needed help, just straight forward stated she needed me to fix that, explained the issue and what could go wrong, and tightened it really well. The other lady who was riding with her had the same exact bike so it was also checked but was a safe tightness. Really don't think her return trip would have been enjoyable the way that stem could turn.
Old 01-17-24, 07:02 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
Roy are you a plumber? How can I leak check a PVC manifold for a vacuum system. I was told not to pressurize and use snoop because it could fail in a dangerous way?? 2 inch pvc probably a hundred feet or so, don’t want to put water in it. I care about leaks more than normal because it’s going to be under a higher vacuum than say a standard central vacuum for a house.

what do people normally do? Maybe some smoke that doesn’t leave a bad residue? In the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender they used rotten eggs for something similar checked for smell.

i feel like i am being lied to when they say it’s dangerous to snoop

I'm not a plumber and I stayed at a La Quinta last night, but I'm sure that even schedule 40 PVC in 2" will handle at least 60 PSI of pressure (It's rated for twice that much), and won't collapse even in a deep vaccum. I can pull some down to 250 microns just for S&Gs if you'd like.
Old 01-17-24, 02:58 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Originally Posted by wheelreason
I'm not a plumber and I stayed at a La Quinta last night, but I'm sure that even schedule 40 PVC in 2" will handle at least 60 PSI of pressure (It's rated for twice that much), and won't collapse even in a deep vaccum. I can pull some down to 250 microns just for S&Gs if you'd like.
Schedule 40 PVC is rated for 100 psi for WATER. IF YOU READ THE SPECS IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS NOT FOR AIR. I have seen it come apart with air and drive a shard the size and shape of a hunting knife through a 2x4 . They do make PVC that is air rated, but it is special order.
PRESSURIZING PVC WITH AIR HAS THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE SERIOUS INJURIES OR DEATH IF IT COMES APART.
I've been doing this stuff since 1986 in industrial construction, auto industry maintenance and medical maintenance. I won't tell you anything that I am not sure of . I have specs sheets on most plumbing materials at work.
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 01-17-24, 07:02 PM
boomer58 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 17 Posts
I was on the night shift and driving down a very rural road in the middle of nowhere, snowing and hovering around zero at 2 am. I come upon a car with a couple people standing there. I stop and ask if they need help. They have the car jacked up and the lugnuts off but the wheel is rusted on. I get down and try to pull the wheel and when I grab behind the tire with both hands (gloves) on, the steel belts that were sticking out of the tire sliced my 4 fingers on each hand open right through the gloves. Anyways I ended up getting a sledge hammer out of the truck and a couple hits with that and off comes the wheel. I was pissed at first but after realizing the young girl that owned the car probably didn't have 20 bucks to her name I got over it. I was a rough few days working with my hands cut up. The s#$t you see out there !!!
Old 01-17-24, 07:15 PM
LarrySellerz

Schedule 40 PVC is rated for 100 psi for WATER. IF YOU READ THE SPECS IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS NOT FOR AIR. I have seen it come apart with air and drive a shard the size and shape of a hunting knife through a 2x4 . They do make PVC that is air rated, but it is special order.
PRESSURIZING PVC WITH AIR HAS THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE SERIOUS INJURIES OR DEATH IF IT COMES APART.
I've been doing this stuff since 1986 in industrial construction, auto industry maintenance and medical maintenance. I won't tell you anything that I am not sure of . I have specs sheets on most plumbing materials at work.
mine is schedule 80, I was thinking of using a prv that is just over atmospheric pressure so much less than the 5 lbs you said to snoop it. Sounds like it’s not worth the risk though. I think I forgot to glue one of the connections but it’s so tight I cannot get it loose

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 01-17-24 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-17-24, 07:31 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
If I see another rider stopped and they aren't obviously just eating, removing a jacket, or talking on the phone, I ask if they need anything. Even then, 90% of the time or more they say they are fine and I move on. A few times, they have asked for help, or sometimes it is obvious with their bike upside down etc.

Most of the time it has been to just put some more air in their tire and they say they are good to go for the few miles they need to get home.

One time a car passed my and a rear tire was all but on fire with all the smoke. They pulled over and I saw it was a somewhat older woman. I changed the tire for her. Same with another trying to change a flat tire on a car. That was scary to see someone not just driving on bald tires, but ones showing cord.

Bottom line, if someone looks like they need help, I offer to help.
Old 01-17-24, 10:05 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
When I moved into my place 30 years ago I'd help the local kids with flats, chains that had jumped off the sprockets, other small things. Those kids have grown and moved on, the newer neighborhood kids are never outside unless the paranoid parents have eyeballs on them at every moment, so if they get something like a flat tire the parents (usually mechanically inept) take the bicycle to a shop for a new tube, Out on the road I usually see other riders with problems already in the middle of fixing things so usually never stop. I'm the odd guy who rides 700x35@75psi tires so don't know how much assistance I can be for the majority around here who ride 700x25 (or 23!) at 100psi. I carry a pump instead of CO2 cartridges if that's of any significance.

Last edited by skidder; 01-18-24 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-17-24, 10:16 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 434 Posts
I usually ask when I see someone stopped by the side of the road as well. I carry a pump, patches, spare tube, and some basic Allen wrenches. This past summer I fixed a flat for a girl that was out for her first ride on a new bike. Then a week or two later I ran into a guy at night that was broken down. He had no idea why he couldn't shift. The cable had come loose from the clamp, but he had no tools and no real understanding of how the front derailleur worked anyway. Got him back on his way in about 10 minutes.

Mark
Old 01-18-24, 01:01 AM
plumberroy

mine is schedule 80, I was thinking of using a prv that is just over atmospheric pressure so much less than the 5 lbs you said to snoop it. Sounds like it’s not worth the risk though. I think I forgot to glue one of the connections but it’s so tight I cannot get it loose
Schedule 80 is still not rated for air pressure. If it were me and I thought I missed a joint. I would top coat the joints with PVC glue . If you know what joint is the problem epoxy glue
Old 01-18-24, 08:37 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
. I think I forgot to glue one of the connections but it’s so tight I cannot get it loose
Yeah, that happens when you don't clean out the cut or the pipe is a tad ovalized, heat the female a touch, it will come right out.
Old 01-18-24, 09:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
FWIW, I don't always need help when I stop. It gets kind of irritating when I've just bitten off some energy bar, and someone stops to ask if I'm all right. So particularly if I'm on a supported ride, I keep a camera handy. Pull the camera out, wave it around, and everybody who passes figures I'm just taking pictures.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-18-24, 09:53 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
FWIW, I don't always need help when I stop. It gets kind of irritating when I've just bitten off some energy bar, and someone stops to ask if I'm all right. So particularly if I'm on a supported ride, I keep a camera handy. Pull the camera out, wave it around, and everybody who passes figures I'm just taking pictures.
That's funny, I once was out for a ride and there was a local club race happening. I pulled over and sat on a gaurd rail to watch and had to keep telling them I was good. I headed up a long hill and was greeted by about 100 people cheering me on, lol.
Old 01-18-24, 04:34 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Many times. As recently as last week.
I ride with a core group of about ten ex racers and I'm usually one of the slowest.
So bringing up the rear, I encounter every flat and every mechanical in the group.
I always stop and help or at the very least keep them company.
Then I expect them to pull me back to the group.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-18-24, 05:04 PM
LarrySellerz

Schedule 80 is still not rated for air pressure. If it were me and I thought I missed a joint. I would top coat the joints with PVC glue . If you know what joint is the problem epoxy glue
my partner told me to pressurize with like 1 psi and snoop it to leak check it, he’s a jack of all trades master hobbyist. do you think this is safe? What were you saying about using 5 lbs to leak check, is that for something like standard schedule 80 pvc or the special order gas rated stuff.
Old 01-18-24, 05:06 PM
LarrySellerz

I’m the opposite, I ask everyone if they are good, even if I’m pretty sure they are fine, and I usually dont even have tools on me lol. It’s the thought that counts, I want them to know that someone cares.
Old 01-18-24, 05:38 PM
plumberroy

my partner told me to pressurize with like 1 psi and snoop it to leak check it, he’s a jack of all trades master hobbyist. do you think this is safe? What were you saying about using 5 lbs to leak check, is that for something like standard schedule 80 pvc or the special order gas rated stuff.
We test schedule 40 PVC sanitary systems at 5 psi of air you just don't want 40-50psi it will stand 5 psi easily
Old 01-18-24, 06:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
How dare those arrogant b@$t@rds! What is wrong with them being concerned about their fellow man?! What screwed-up priorities.

Next time, while you are eating your energy bar, have a handful of tacks in the other hand and when they ask, throw the tacks and say, “Who needs help now?!” And laugh maniacally. That will teach them, and you won’t have to wave your phone around. Problem solved.

The nerve of some people.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-19-24, 09:16 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
How dare those arrogant b@$t@rds! What is wrong with them being concerned about their fellow man?! What screwed-up priorities.

Next time, while you are eating your energy bar, have a handful of tacks in the other hand and when they ask, throw the tacks and say, “Who needs help now?!” And laugh maniacally. That will teach them, and you won’t have to wave your phone around. Problem solved.

The nerve of some people.
Happy to provide you with an opportunity for outrage!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-19-24, 01:07 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Asked, but no takers other than club mates. I received help once when I broke my chain and didn't have a chain breaker in my kit (now it is). Other than that, I'm mostly self-sufficient.
Old 01-19-24, 01:55 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Not a plumber but in this case I'll offer up a suggestion: If you suspect the leak's in a location you can access, try sticking one end of a short length of 1/4" ID vinyl hose lightly into your ear then with the vacuum system pulling a negative pressure use the other end as a 'stethoscope' listening for the sound of sucking as it passes over/nearby the leak.

And a big 'YES IT CAN" to the admonition not to pressurize PVC DWV pipe over 5 PSI.
Old 01-19-24, 02:52 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by spclark
Not a plumber but in this case I'll offer up a suggestion: If you suspect the leak's in a location you can access, try sticking one end of a short length of 1/4" ID vinyl hose lightly into your ear then with the vacuum system pulling a negative pressure use the other end as a 'stethoscope' listening for the sound of sucking as it passes over/nearby the leak.

And a big 'YES IT CAN" to the admonition not to pressurize PVC DWV pipe over 5 PSI.
that’s out of the box thinking… does it actually work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.