Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Tall Clyde looking for new bike KHS vs Surly

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 06:53 AM
TK78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hiya all. I have been lurking on here for a while and wanted to go ahead and post. I know a lot of this has been written in one form or another. I have a 2008 Trek 7200 25" hybrid bike. I have about 4500 miles on it. About half of those came a couple of years ago when I lost a lot of weight. I currently weigh about 330 lbs and I'm 6'8". I lost about 60 lbs riding my Trek a couple of years ago and then started a new job, really got tired of my trek and just got sidetracked. I need to get back on track! My wife just got a Giant road bike last month and I'm really ready to start pounding out miles again. I still ride of course...just not like I used to. So, I have been long planning to get a 64 long haul trucker or even a straggler. I had a buddy that had the Jones loop bars on his and I really like that. I live in downtown Fort Worth and most of my riding is regulated to the paved trails around the river downtown. I believe we have 88 total miles and it's just great. I was pretty much all in on this until a couple of things happened. I have had more than a couple of LBS tell me that Surly doesn't put as good components as they used to on their bikes, my wife got a pure road road bike bc she wants us to ride do century rides, and I saw the KHS 747.

So I started ready all about Lennard Zinn and the 747 and the main thing is that it seems like a bike made for me even if I don't really want a pure performance road bike....bigger frame, better geometry, 200mm cranks, Shimano 105 components all seem solid. I have sent Zinn my measurments and they say I am def a candidate for a XXXL. I still like the idea of getting a surly. I don't need something fast, just something that I could eventually ride a century on. I like the idea of getting a bike that I can put on a bunch of panniers and go camping for week. lol. Not sure if that will really happen but I like having that option. As far as wheels go, I go through tires pretty quick but almost everyone I have spoke too has said let the original wheels fail before you upgrade which is what I plan on doing. I put almost 2k on my original trek rear wheel before it literally fell apart apart on me. I had my LBS build me a bombproof wheel for $150 that just rocks.

At any rate, I can't ride any of these. So, I just have to trust my opinion and go for it. I want to get this done sometime in Aug so I'm still just collecting facts but 747 looks for like the way I'm heading.
Old 08-08-14, 07:06 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to BF!

My riding buddy has a 747 and loves it. He's 6'6" and it fits him great. I think they're a great value with the longer cranks and 105s.
Old 08-08-14, 07:12 AM
TK78

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bbeasley, I just read your post from the other day. I missed it. Thanks for you input. I think the longer cranks certainly make sense. I'm not a bike expert but pretty much everyone I speak with says that the 105's are a great place to start...don't go any lower than that in quality (on a nicer bike of course)