Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

KONA Dr. Fine too sporty - what to do?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-14, 07:22 PM
edik

Bikes: Kona Dr. Fine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While feeling sorry for myself in the desert of Iraq where I deployed in May 2011 I decided to treat myself to a really nice bike. After much research I settled on KONA Dr. Fine with 8 gear Shimano IHG which I liked a lot. I ordered my bike online and when I got home in December of 2011 the bike was already home. Two plus years later I'm facing the following problem:

This bike is too sporty for me, i.e. I'm leaning too far out forward and this is putting a lot of stress on my shoulders. Also, the handlebar is too straight and my wrists feel uncomfortable even after a short ride. I wish the ends of the handlebar twisted a little more inwards.

Alright, these are the option that I see for myself:

1. Sell my bike and buy another,
2. Change the handlebar to a one that would allow for higher upright position. This would probably also require that I choose another seat.
3. choice 2 plus exchange the front fork for one with spring suspension.

So what would folks with more experience recommend to a guy in my situation?
Old 12-25-14, 07:50 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Are you sure your frame is the correct size for you? I suggest you seek help at the local bike shop. As long as the bike is the correct size, they can help make you more comfortable on it with a few changes.

I'd fiddle with the fit myself if it were me, (stems, grips, bars) but I have experience with this and it sounds like you don't. You'll likely save time and money by seeking professional guidance.
Old 12-25-14, 08:31 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saddle should be independent from the handlebars... you shouldn't have to change anything, really.

What is the length and rise of the stem? It might be printed somewhere on the stem in mm and degree. If you need to measure the stem, measure the length from the middle of the top-cap bolt to the middle of the handlebars. A shorter stem is the most likely solution. If you want the handlebars higher, you need a stem with a steeper angle as well. You might be better off going to a local shop and getting some help with stem fitting.

You can add some hand positions with bar ends, I like the Ergon brand. That will also change the angle that you hold the bars from.

You may want to make the bars more narrow too, for a more comfortable position... hard to say, without seeing you on the bike.

A front shock is NOT a solution. You'll just waste energy and money and add weight.
Old 12-25-14, 08:49 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm no expert, but probable one thing you could do is try one of the descent adjustable stems. That way you can change the handlebars around (position and height) so that your reach changes. This may very well solve your issues after some trail and error with different positions. IMHO, this is where you need to start. Won't set you back big bucks, and will get you moving in the right direction whether is solves your issues or not.

QT
Old 12-26-14, 05:27 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Whooo boy - I just went through the exact same thing with my Kona Unit. The bike was the right size for me, based on stand-over height, but when i sat on the stock seat, I had to lean forward and too much weight was on my arms and wrists.

The cause of this is that the Kona MTB models are designed for out-of-the-seat climbing and descending. Their "Ultra-Compact Rear Triangle" (Kona's term, not mine) is designed to maximize power to the wheel while standing and stomping on the pedals. The Kona frame is also designed for FAST response so you can steer around obstacles while descending.

When sitting on the Kona MTBs, your knees are too far forward relative to the cranks. The only way I found to avoid this was by using a "lay-back seat post" with a more comfortable saddle for upright use. Of course, moving the seat back also put the handlebars ever further from me. So I changed to cow-horn bars with lots of sweep-back. They still weren't close enough until I reversed the stem and even then, the bike wasn't that comfortable.

So, long story short, I'm restoring my Kona to stock condition, selling it on Craigslist, and buying a bike that is comfortable to ride without all the modifications. Note that this is NOT to knock Kona - they make great bikes for specific purposes - but you need to make sure that both the purpose and the comfort are there before making that choice. I'm currently looking at Electra and Raleigh Cadent models for better comfort.

And by the way, thanks, @edik for your military service. It is respected and appreciated.
Old 12-26-14, 06:27 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
The cause of this is that the Kona MTB models are designed for out-of-the-seat climbing and descending. Their "Ultra-Compact Rear Triangle" (Kona's term, not mine) is designed to maximize power to the wheel while standing and stomping on the pedals. The Kona frame is also designed for FAST response so you can steer around obstacles while descending.
I have a Kona Dew; your description doesn't sound anything like it.
Old 12-26-14, 06:38 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by edik
While feeling sorry for myself in the desert of Iraq where I deployed in May 2011 I decided to treat myself to a really nice bike. After much research I settled on KONA Dr. Fine with 8 gear Shimano IHG which I liked a lot. I ordered my bike online and when I got home in December of 2011 the bike was already home. Two plus years later I'm facing the following problem:

This bike is too sporty for me, i.e. I'm leaning too far out forward and this is putting a lot of stress on my shoulders. Also, the handlebar is too straight and my wrists feel uncomfortable even after a short ride. I wish the ends of the handlebar twisted a little more inwards.

2. Change the handlebar to a one that would allow for higher upright position. This would probably also require that I choose another seat.

A picture showing the whole bike from the side would help us help you and your height.
Old 12-26-14, 07:07 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by headloss
I have a Kona Dew; your description doesn't sound anything like it.
I've also owned a Dew. It is a far more relaxed geometry made for road use rather than off-road.
Old 12-26-14, 07:34 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Exactly why I suggest everyone ride bikes from many different manufacturers. Geometry!

Every bike is different, even though similar. You have to find the one that fits you the best.

ONE, always stands out!
Old 12-26-14, 07:54 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
You may only need some small adjustments to your bars and/or stem to find a comfortable fit. If you have an angled stem, just flipping over may be enough to raise your bar enough for you. Adding bar ends would give an alternate hand position that may help. There are also other bars like trekking bars or moustache bars that have multiple hand positions. Going to a good bike shop can help you find the right fit without buying a lot of parts that don't work for you.
Old 12-26-14, 10:00 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

I wouldn't give up. Simply raising the stem or switching out the handlebar for one with a slight bend might be just the thing. Velo Orange makes a bunch of handlebars both with and without rise that bend from 20 to a full 90 degrees back. https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...andlebars.html

You might want to take your bike to a bikeshop and see what they suggest.

Last edited by MRT2; 12-26-14 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-26-14, 10:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Raise the Handlebars.

Or sell it and get a Crank Forward Bike https://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bike...creation/pure/

too steep a seat tube angle may only be cured witha frame with a shallow seat tube , though playing with seat post setback

thru parts swapping can Work .. set back seat posts .. the BMX one above -5- is an Extreme example.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-26-14 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-26-14, 02:21 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've also owned a Dew. It is a far more relaxed geometry made for road use rather than off-road.
Dr. Fine is same as Dew? No?
Just trying to clear it up for the OP.
Old 12-26-14, 06:14 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dr. Fine is same as Dew? No?
Just trying to clear it up for the OP.
Pretty much,I've owned two Dews,a Fine and a Dr Good,and the only real differences were in the rear of the frame(dropout style).

+1 on trying different stems and bars. Note,with the hydro discs,swapping bars to something radically different like a townie bar will be more difficult due to the fact that you'll have to replace/lengthen the hoses.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-27-14, 02:28 AM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
You might be able to remove an inch or so from the ends of the handlebars to make them a bit narrower. Or replace the bar with a narrower one. A trip to your LBS for some help with mods are available might help you decide what your options are. If you sell this bike and purchase another one, you lose money on the deal. On the other hand, putting more $ into this bike and having it fail is also undesirable.

Without more detailed information, it's difficult to know if a different stem and bar cutting would be enough. These mods should be fairly inexpensive on the grand scale of costs.

The suspension is going to be big bugs if you could find a fork that would fit your bike. And I agree with the others that it would not be a satisfactory solution.
Old 12-27-14, 08:03 AM
teicher

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest you sell the bike (as is, unmodified) and get a new one that you can test ride first. It's the only way you'll really be happy with the results.

I had a bike that fit the way you described, felt terrible after 1-2 hour rides. It was too long for me. It's hard to notice this when you are just test riding around the shop before buying. I spent lots of money and time trying different parts and tweaks but nothing really worked the way I needed to. One day I had a chance to test ride a Kona Dew (I know, irony) and it fit like a glove--shorter top tube, better stem position, etc. It was just the right thing for my body type. I bought one, sold my old bike, and only regret that I spent so much time and money trying to fix my old one instead getting a new bike and moving on. Riding is much more enjoyable now
Old 12-27-14, 08:17 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
FarHorizon mentioned that he bought a bike using the standover height technique for sizing. This technique does not account for the length of the body from the waist up. This upper length determines reach and will affect comfort. I suggest using a simple technique of placing your elbow at the front point of the seat and reach for the handlebar. If you can reach the bar stem then the length of the bike will probably be right. Of course no system is perfect for every body.
Old 12-28-14, 11:30 PM
edik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whooo boy - I just went through the exact same thing with my Kona Unit. The bike was the right size for me, based on stand-over height, but when i sat on the stock seat, I had to lean forward and too much weight was on my arms and wrists.

When sitting on the Kona MTBs, your knees are too far forward relative to the cranks. The only way I found to avoid this was by using a "lay-back seat post" with a more comfortable saddle for upright use. Of course, moving the seat back also put the handlebars ever further from me. So I changed to cow-horn bars with lots of sweep-back. They still weren't close enough until I reversed the stem and even then, the bike wasn't that comfortable.

So, long story short, I'm restoring my Kona to stock condition, selling it on Craigslist, and buying a bike that is comfortable to ride without all the modifications. Note that this is NOT to knock Kona - they make great bikes for specific purposes - but you need to make sure that both the purpose and the comfort are there before making that choice. I'm currently looking at Electra and Raleigh Cadent models for better comfort.

And by the way, thanks, @edik for your military service. It is respected and appreciated.
Dr Fine is supposed to be a hybrid road bike all the way, but I too, noticed that when pushing the pedal down it feels that I'm pushing a little back and not just down.
Old 12-28-14, 11:58 PM
edik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
A picture showing the whole bike from the side would help us help you and your height.
Two pictures uploaded. I'm just under 6".
Attached Images
File Type: png
bike1.png (63.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: png
bike2.png (32.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-29-14, 01:48 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just short of 6' and riding a 53cm?? That sounds small for you. I think you definitely require some in-person experience to determine your needs. Issues with fit are really difficult to diagnose online.
Old 12-29-14, 04:56 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Definitely. I'm 6' and my Dew Deluxe is a 61. I'm a touched stretched,but I like it. My Dr Fine was a 58,my Dr Good and my '08 Dew Deluxe were 56's. I felt the 56's were too upright for my taste.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-29-14, 06:56 PM
SHOFINE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 15 Posts
Hey edik,

I got my Dr. Fine about the same time as you. I'm 5' 9 1/2" and have the 53cm. I knew I wouldn't like them flat bars so I order the Metropolis Handlebars (45 degree bend) at the same time of the bike. At first I used an adjustable stem to give me a more upright position but have since put the original back on. These bars will definitely keep you from being so stretch out as I even had to get a Velo Orange setback seatpost. Also having the sprung Brooks Flyer saddle and fat 40mm tires makes it a most comfy ride!

Last edited by SHOFINE; 12-29-14 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 07:22 PM
edik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two pictures uploaded. I'm just under 6".

konaworld
Old 12-29-14, 07:24 PM
edik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just short of 6' and riding a 53cm?? That sounds small for you. I think you definitely require some in-person experience to determine your needs. Issues with fit are really difficult to diagnose online.
According to Kona's table, 53 cm supposed to be about right for 6".
Old 12-29-14, 07:28 PM
edik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SHOFINE
Hey edik,

I got my Dr. Fine about the same time as you. I'm 5' 9 1/2" and have the 53cm. I knew I wouldn't like them flat bars so I order the Metropolis Handlebars (45 degree bend) at the same time of the bike. At first I used an adjustable stem to give me a more upright position but have since put the original back on. These bars will definitely keep you from being so stretch out as I even had to get a Velo Orange setback seatpost. Also having the sprung Brooks Flyer saddle and fat 40mm tires makes it a most comfy ride!

I love your Metropolis Handlebars. Will deffinately try them out before anthing else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.