Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Ordered a Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro Ti

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 06:21 PM
radial1999

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday I finally decided on a bike and after looking at what limited supply local shops had in terms of cyclocross and touring bikes (and what they cost), I decided on the bikes direct Fantom Cross Pro titanium.

I doubt many people on the forums have this exact bike but if you do, feel free to post how you like it. It has actually been difficult to sort through reviews online because of how many results turn out to be reviews of the fantom pro ti mountain bike.

I already pretty much know I won't be throwing disc brakes on this bike but I love that it has the option, in case I start riding it in bad weather (which I don't plan to do with such an expensive bike). I can't wait to throw this thing together, although even if it shows up this week I probably won't be able to even begin building until Saturday night because of work. But it gives me something to look forward to. Anyways, feel free to post any reviews. I already know it's the right bike for me because I've spent countless hours researching but I'm still interested to see reviews straight from owners of this bike (or the aluminum version if that's what you have) rather than opinions about bikesdirect in general.
Mine has the Vuelta XRP Pro wheels with the option of running disc brakes, SRAM Rival shifters/derailleurs, a lot of assorted Ritchey parts (stem, bars, seatpost), FSA Gossamer Cross MegaEXO cranks. I can't wait.
Old 03-22-11, 11:15 PM
humboldt'sroads
Chieftain

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale CAADX 105; Wabi Classic Fixed Gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure to post a full review - I'm thinking of picking up that build in their aluminum frame for a second/rain bike and all-around masher. Congrats!
Old 03-23-11, 07:53 AM
1ply
Plays in Traffic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm actually picking up a Fantom Cross (the $800 one) this weekend.

Looking at the local LBS, I'd have to spend well over double that to get anywhere near the level of components.

I looked at a local Norco - this bike would cost me about $400 more than the BD bike, but came with Sora shifters and an aluminum fork (this one has 105 and a carbon fork).

edit - forgot to mention this one comes with the top mounted brakes too - an option which would add $60 to the overpriced Sora equipped bike.

I'll try to post here how the assembly goes - should be done on Sunday hoping for no snow....

Last edited by 1ply; 03-23-11 at 08:18 AM. Reason: add brake info
Old 03-23-11, 08:06 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a thread in Road bikes right about BD - the Ti frames are highly praised.
Old 03-23-11, 09:17 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by radial1999
in case I start riding it in bad weather (which I don't plan to do with such an expensive bike).
Because CX bikes are the dainty belles of the bike world and should never get dirty.
Go ride the p!ss out of your new Ti bike...it will be happier in the mud.

Old 03-23-11, 12:14 PM
math is fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
Because CX bikes are the dainty belles of the bike world and should never get dirty.

Epic picture and great quote.
Old 03-23-11, 01:02 PM
mopartodd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I like my bike way too much to do that to it. lol
Old 03-23-11, 06:36 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi

I should have been more specific. I'm not afraid to get it dirty, so much as I'm afraid to ride it in the plentiful bad weather here when the roads have to be salted. Mud is no big deal. Salt scares me though.
Old 03-23-11, 06:40 PM
Pinkbullet3
   

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mopartodd
Man, I like my bike way too much to do that to it. lol
Saaame. Is that a bad thing? At that point it'd be hard for me to HTFU.
Old 03-26-11, 07:09 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
48 more hours until I'm building the new ride. I was really hoping it would magically show up today but no such luck. I'm not good at being patient with big purchases like this.
Old 03-31-11, 07:28 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update?
Old 03-31-11, 09:30 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should have been more specific. I'm not afraid to get it dirty, so much as I'm afraid to ride it in the plentiful bad weather here when the roads have to be salted. Mud is no big deal. Salt scares me though.
It shouldn't. This is one of the great things about Ti. Salt isn't going to affect it.
Old 03-31-11, 09:24 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
O.o
Old 04-01-11, 02:45 AM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
update?
The bike is amazing. I would have updated this thread sooner but the first delivery attempt was Monday and no one was home. 2nd attempt on Tuesday - same. No one home. I partially assembled the bike last night, but because of snow I didn't get to ride it at all until last night. The wait was killing me all week.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...m-Cross-Pro-ti
Old 04-02-11, 11:42 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I have a 2000 Litespeed Appalachian. If I didn't have that bike, I'd get a Fathom Ti.
Old 04-03-11, 03:14 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I'd update with some pics for those that don't stray into the racing forum. I'm disappointed that I burned out my legs on my trainer this winter and have basically taken the last 2 months off (and my quads still hurt when I try to exert much energy on the bike so I'm seeing a doctor this week), so I can't really see what this bike feels like on hills yet but I can pedal around on flat ground at least. I'll post a better review of how it rides once I've been able to really put some miles on it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Motobecane 0011.JPG (90.3 KB, 336 views)
Motobecane 0022.JPG (91.2 KB, 292 views)
Motobecane 0055.JPG (90.6 KB, 239 views)
Motobecane 0044.JPG (85.6 KB, 232 views)
Motobecane 0033.JPG (78.9 KB, 233 views)
Old 04-04-11, 07:09 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
I got the same bike; it is great. A little heavy, but I will be fixing that this week. Definitely keep the cantis. I put discs on mine and hate them. I am replacing them with some TRP Eurox's. Cheers!
Old 04-22-11, 07:17 PM
radial1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amillhench
I got the same bike; it is great. A little heavy, but I will be fixing that this week. Definitely keep the cantis. I put discs on mine and hate them. I am replacing them with some TRP Eurox's. Cheers!
I haven't weighed the bike but I think it's pretty light. I was told by bikesdirect that it was around 18 lbs and I'd say that seems pretty close. For having such a burly fork I think the weight is pretty light for how durable the bike is. Could your brakes be adding that much weight?
Old 04-23-11, 07:43 PM
canflyboy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone get a weight on the Motobecane Ti bike - sans pedals, bottle holders and seat bag? Has anyone raced their cross???
Old 04-26-11, 01:58 AM
Watchdog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen), Haro Roscoe (sold), Giant TCX Rabobank, Cervelo RS, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amillhench
Why do you hate the disc brakes? I'm thinking of ordering this bike when they get stock again, or replace it with the next model and part of the appeal of the bike was the ability to put a disc brake on the front, though I'd likely leave the canti on the back so I could swap in road bike wheels (and different gearing) if I wanted to.
Old 05-29-11, 06:46 PM
iceicebaby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any updates on their ti bikes?
Old 06-06-11, 08:44 AM
Stickney
Longing for a Tail Wind

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I purchased this bike last fall with Rival. I haven't raced it. I have some info here: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=228358

My bike is a 61 cm. I haven't weighed it. I imagine putting on some lighter tires/wheels would drop the weight considerably.
Old 09-22-12, 07:43 PM
adamx97

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight of Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro Ti

Originally Posted by canflyboy
Can someone get a weight on the Motobecane Ti bike - sans pedals, bottle holders and seat bag? Has anyone raced their cross???
I have the 54. Without pedals, bottle holders, or seat bag, it weighed 21.6 lbs.
Old 09-28-12, 09:28 PM
KDNYC

Bikes: Current: Wabi Classic, '91 Bridgestone Rb-1. Past: '92 Bridgestone RB-1, '02 Lemond Zurich, '91 Trek 520, '85 Schwinn Madison, '80s Panasonic conversion fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamx97
I have the 54. Without pedals, bottle holders, or seat bag, it weighed 21.6 lbs.
Hey, does your 54 match the geometry specs for the bike? It seems to run small in comparison to other cx bikes.
Old 10-02-12, 08:55 PM
adamx97

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
54 cm geometry measurements.

Originally Posted by KDNYC
Hey, does your 54 match the geometry specs for the bike? It seems to run small in comparison to other cx bikes.
i measured each measurement that is on the website, and everything seems exactly as stated, except:
wheelbase: stated 979mm, i measure hub to hub as 1015mm, and i think that should exactly correspond to wheelbase
standover, it is 768 from floor to top of top tube where it meets the seat tube, but who can stand there? at the tip of the saddle, i measure 78. The way it is measured may be the industry standard method, I don't know.

I don't have a good way to measure angles, but have no reason to question them.

I am currently considering whether i got the right size. If I find its too big for me, I'll sell it for what I paid, (it was professionally finished at the shop, so I'll eat that.) Today it has less than 70 miles on it. You're welcome to see it if you're in the dc area. Contact me.

I'm sure I've observed some local bike shop grumpiness, or a grudge, or a chip on the shoulder, about this bike. Everyone knows it is available on the web, and what I likely paid for it, and the shops know they lost a sale. But in my own experience the bike is everything that they claim. There are no secret gotchas, and no corners cut. I, (and I'm sure everyone that has bought one) have been over every centimeter of the bike. The shops acknowledge--despite their grumpiness--that its an excellent bike. The frame is as solid as expected, and the fit and finish on the frame are as good as anything they're selling. The components are exactly as advertised, and adjusted well, but like any bike from the factory, need some final tweaking, as do the more expensive bikes that the shops sell. People far more experienced than I have examined this bike and agree, the bike rocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.