Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain falls off when rolling backwards

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-04-19, 06:34 PM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Is this normal?I have a triple shimano105 and if I back the bike up(not on it necesarily)like getting off an elevator the chain falls off the little front cog up front.Other than that the gears are well functioning and adjusted.Anything I can do about this?
Old 12-05-19, 09:17 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Is the chain slack in the "granny" (smallest) chainring? Try having the bike in one of the largest rear cogs when in the granny to keep the chain tighter. A sure cure is a chain watcher that physically keeps the chain from falling off of the smallest chainring. The Third Eye Chain Watcher and N-Gear's Jumpstop both work well and are relatively inexpensive
Old 12-05-19, 09:32 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
The mentioned devices are meant to retain the chain during shifting when pedaling forward, not back pedaling. The little tabs/blocks reside on the upper half of the chainrings and back pedaling drop off starts at the ring's bottom half. But Dave does make a good point about the cog/ring combo employed when drop off happens. One more reason why riding in cross over combos is to be avoided. Andy
Old 12-05-19, 10:04 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Wouldn't a stiff link or gummed up pulley cause that?
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 12-05-19, 10:15 AM
justsaymint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Wouldn't a stiff link or gummed up pulley cause that?
This. Also poor chain line, very worn chain or very very worn derailer can cause this
Old 12-05-19, 10:29 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,879 Times in 1,645 Posts
When I shift from drive to reverse in my car while still rolling forward at 10 mph, bad things happen. What's wrong with the car?

Many if not most derailleur-equipped bikes will drop the chain in one or more gear combinations. Derailleur systems operate by changing the angle of approach of the chain at the point where it meets the sprocket or chainring. That's a controlled process pedaling forward and an uncontrolled process pedaling backward (or rolling the bike backward).

Moral: don't pedal backward and don't roll the bike backward---bikes aren't designed for that.
Old 12-05-19, 12:11 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Moral: don't pedal backward and don't roll the bike backward---bikes aren't designed for that.
Well, yeah, but all four of my 3x10 road bikes will allow indefinite backwards pedaling and rolling the bikes backwards without the chain dropping so it's not a universal problem. However, they in a middle gear and the chain has no slack. I expect the OP's bike is pretty cross chained when this occurs.
Old 12-05-19, 12:18 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Is rolling backward a common activity for you? To steal an idea from Vaudeville, stop rolling backwards.

But does this happen when you pedal backward? As a diagnostic, this issue may have been useful as it alerted you to poor chainline alignment.
Old 12-05-19, 12:38 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,879 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Agreed. For example, all four of my 3x10 road bikes will allow indefinite backwards pedaling and rolling the bikes backwards without the chain dropping so it's not a universal problem. However, they in a middle gear and the chain has no slack. I expect the OP's bike is pretty cross chained when this occurs.
Edited to clarify that nothing in HillRider's post contradicts anything in my post.
Old 12-05-19, 01:28 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Seems like dropping the chains because of cross-chained on the small ring will drop off the outside, between the rings. OP gives me the impression that it's dropped to the inside, which would need a really bad chain-line to happen on the small ring and big cog (ie, not cross-chained).

So I wonder if his DR cage is just out of whack, or the hanger. Bent inwards.

ps, it would be a little silly IMO to insist on picking the bike up every time you want to move it backwards, out of fear of exceeding the design capability.
Old 12-05-19, 04:32 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Rolling a bike backwards, or back pedaling a chain, and having it come off is a good that something is wrong. It could be your dropout alignment.
Old 12-05-19, 07:25 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Edited to clarify that nothing in HillRider's post contradicts anything in my post.
It wasn't intended too as your statements were correct. I was just making the point that the problem isn't universal and that something in the OP's bike configuration is causing his specific problem. I think most of us expect he is badly cross chained or has a major chainline issue.
Old 12-05-19, 08:14 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
Maybe I am a bit off topic, but what happens when there is not enough chain wrap up from the rear derailleur to keep the chain in place? If the chain is too slack it may drop off from play in the slack chain. JMHO. MH
Old 12-06-19, 12:43 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Something somewhere is sticking and possibly sticking just a bit. I'd check the freehub as well as the chain links and the derailleur pulleys.

Cheers
Old 12-06-19, 02:26 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
When you roll a bike backwards it will pull the chain with it from the top, your crank will turn and on the bottom there is nothing guiding the chain. If in the big/big combination it will fall off on my bike and likely yours too. Moreover, when in this combination the pull of the rear derailleur will exacerbate the motion of the chain as it takes up the slack caused by the falling chain. In other words, once it starts falling you won't be able to stop it by moving the bike forward.
Old 07-26-20, 02:33 PM
trek330

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For those still interested...An update!!!Despite what some people said about "don't roll backwards" you do many times like backing out of an elevator or store with your bike, and too often I would have to put the chain back on.I went to a number of "professionals" with the problem and none had anything positive to say.After looking at the alignment they doubted that was the problem.Anyway the bike developed a serious gear skipping problem and no adjustment or chain replacement would fix it.I finally insisted my neighborhood mechanic examine the derailleur hangar with the proper tool.It was bent!Alas after straightening the bent derailleur hangar I have perfect shifting and no more chain falling off when rolling backwards or pedaling backwards.Halleluyah!
Likes For trek330:
Old 07-26-20, 05:53 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by trek330
I finally insisted my neighborhood mechanic examine the derailleur hangar with the proper tool.It was bent! Alas after straightening the bent derailleur hangar I have perfect shifting and no more chain falling off when rolling backwards or pedaling backwards.Halleluyah!
Thanks for the update and I'm happy your problem has been solved. There are posters here who's almost reflexive recommendation to any reported shifting problem is "CHECK THE REAR DERAILLEUR HANGER ALIGNMENT!" They will be gratified to hear that their advice actually solved a poster's problem.