Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Joined the e bike crowd.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Joined the e bike crowd.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 01:52 PM
HobieKen 

Bikes: 2021 TREK Rail 5, 2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy, 2017 Cannondale Quick 5 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Joined the e bike crowd.

Ex mountain biker who previously rode a TREK Fuel 100 10 years ago. At age 65 I've only been riding my hybrid on the road, but have recently been wanting to explore new things, gravel roads, perhaps light trails. So, I began searching for a more dual sport capable hybrid, mainly a Specialized Sirrus X. However, bikes are very hard to come by and I couldn't find anything. In the meantime I discovered e mtb's, so I began researching them, and thought they would allow me to get back on the trails and gravel. Again, impossible to find. I had to drive 8 hours to find one. Also, decided I didn't need the capabilities of some of the bikes that are available. So, I settled on a TREK Powerfly 4. My other choices were a Giant Talon and Specialized Levo, both 8 or 9 hours away also(needed an XL size). I just decided to be honest with myself and get what I felt is all I needed at this point in my life and go with the hardtail. Very happy with my purchase, but not without a few shortcomings. The fork is not very good, the brakes are a little disappointing, changed out the tires to Maxxis at bike shop

. Glad I went with the Bosch system, it is excellent, however no experience with other brands, but I'd have to say, don't know how it could be topped. Over all excited that I'm able to do something I never thought I'd do again. Just thought I'd share since I saw few mtb posts in this forum.
Likes For HobieKen:
Old 12-24-20, 02:44 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Nice looking bike, and I agree, hard to believe a nearly $4,000 bike with a Suntour fork.
Old 12-24-20, 04:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
I have about that same shock on my bulls and it was not much either and it was a 3800 bike. but it had good I just bought this fork and it was a huge difference but you need a through axle. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=83985
but mine has magura m4 brakes and they are really powerful with only 180mm rotors.not having a bike with a internal battery saved a lot of money and some weight. about 800.00 price difference.