Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best high speed/low maintenance bike for open road?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Best high speed/low maintenance bike for open road?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 08:58 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
I have a Bafang BBS02. Using a standard 68mm bottom-bracket is bad practice. Even with downrating the motor, I still shredded the Aluminum bottom-bracket shell. It works fine on steel framed bikes, not on Al or CF. The bike frame needs an integrated way to resist torque, you can't get that with a DIY. The fact that Bafang doesn't even sell a decent torque arm is ridiculous.

And with connectors, a DIY user has to add additional solder or crimp joints, because a DIY user doesn't have the tools required to crimp a proper automotive connector.
Buy a complete kit and there shouldn't be anything to crimp or solder.

Luna and CA Ebike sell torque arms for the Bafang motors. Think Bafang direct does now as well

https://california-ebike.com/shop/bs...bbs0102-bbshd/

I read about some users having issues with aluminum BB's. Most of those users seemed to attribute their problem to not getting the unit properly shimmed and torqued initially. Once they get it right the problems stop.

Since my bike is aluminum and I needed clearance below the down tube for cables I went the extra yard and installed a torque arm to hold the unit away from the tube. I did weld a stainless tab at the top, mainly because I overbuild everything. Install the arm in a conventional manner and no welding is needed.

BB creaked with first install, but adding 15 thousands of shims to the drive side and torqueing the snot out of the BB cured that. Unit has been rock solid for the last 6 months.

so yes, lots of people successfully running Bafangs with aluminum frames.
Old 01-14-21, 09:05 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
By the way, they now make low temp solder connectors with integral heat shrink. All that is needed is a heat gun, I've used them on cars with good success.

https://www.amazon.com/VOLT-Connecto.../dp/B07DRDWFDB