Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

RadWagon anybody?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

RadWagon anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 10:31 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Ok

Alright. Fair enough. These bikes (Rad Power) are not for you then. That is perfectly fine and your reasons are your reasons. Hopefully your next purchase will fit your needs and desires perfectly.
Peace.

Originally Posted by AlanK
Even considering those points they seems suspiciously cheap, not to mention ridiculously heavy. 60+ pounds is absurd even for an ebike. I also don't like hub-drives. I understand they're reliable and serve a purpose, but they're heavy and don't provide a natural ride-feel.

If someone just wants basic relatively short-distance transportation I suppose Rad Bikes are OK. I want something a little more refined and enjoyable.
Likes For edwong3:
Old 12-20-20, 05:34 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
It's hard to argue with success. Rad Powerbikes are consistently rated as a good value bike. If a LBS doesn't want to work they're a lot of mobile bike repair shops that will work on your bike. They even come to your house or work and are price competitive sometimes less expensive than LBS. I love my DCS ebike. I find even the brand name ones have the same service needs. I'm curious why you need light components on an ebike, you need more sturdy derailers on ebikes that are more hardy and reliable.

Hub drives are good and so are mid drives. If you have a lot of steep hills get a mid drive bike. Can't beat the throttle if your chain breaks. Good luck!

Last edited by alloo; 12-25-20 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-22-20, 08:43 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I have 3000 miles on a rad wagon. they are fine solid bikes it does 30 mile round trips to work just fine. the brakes are the weak point but its a easy upgrade(They work its a cargo bike and they do stop). Power is fine, weight is a non factor I dont stick it on a bus because I just ride the bike, basically all the complaints are just kinda weak. If you want a low cost entry level cargo bike its a good choice. Mine has hauled kids, animal feed, many broken bikes and never a issue. Only problem I had was a broken chain which I just shrugged off and road home throttle only it was slow going on some of the hills but it got home.

with that said the new model I would probably never buy weird sized tires just kills it for me. If I was in the market right now it would probably be extracycle, surly(conversion), or a yuba.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 12-23-20, 07:55 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I was wondering how Rad Power Wagon bikes handle in the snow vs Rad City Bike? I don't own any rad power bike products but have always admired this company. What are your thoughts? How does a Cargo bike differ in handling in snow. Thank You
Old 12-23-20, 08:20 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
I was wondering how Rad Power Wagon bikes handle in the snow vs Rad City Bike? I don't own any rad power bike products but have always admired this company. What are your thoughts? How does a Cargo bike differ in handling in snow. Thank You
Cant say on new rad wagon( I would assume it handles even better with wider tires and lower stance) or city. but the rad wagon 3 I have is fine in snow the thing is a tank, I also have a extracycle free radical and its fine. Now if you have no load and get up on peddles you will loose traction pretty easy on either bike any long tail bike will have that problem snow would make that worse.

snow or not long tail bikes do handle very different, They are very stable, the need a mile to turn( kinda), they dont stop as fast, they dont turn as fast, huge weight difference even on a non ebike one, Handling wise its more like riding a tandem solo than any normal bike. Its not bad its just a totally different thing

Last edited by sloppy12; 12-23-20 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-23-20, 06:19 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I just bought my wife a Bosch mid drive bike at the Trek shop. We haven’t tried it out yet on a ride but at the bike shop she tried all the gears(internal hub gears) and all four modes on the computer and she said it was very easy to use. I bought her a hub drive unit about five years ago for a couple hundred dollars . It had a bad battery which I replaced. All in for $500! She has had it for five or six years and it still works great but it is a cheapie and she is ready for something nice. She rides an e bike because of physical disabilities . She can pedal and balance fine , she just needs assistance on longer rides. She likes not having a throttle and the higher quality of the new bike. The cheaper bikes for the most part work , but , like other bikes, the quality reflects a better experience. It just depends what you want. There are a lot of choices when it comes to electric bikes.