Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Need help with first gravel build: LeMond Poprad Disc

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 03:19 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts

I picked up a LeMond Poprad disc frame and I need help with my first gravel build. The previous owner "opened up the guides" to run hydraulic discs. My background is exclusively rim-brake road bikes, so I know absolutely nothing about disc brakes. I'm hoping y'all can help educate me.

End goal is Sram hydro 2x11 group, carbon fork, tubeless wheels. I'm trying to keep this budget-friendly.

Initial questions:
1. What kind of brakes does this frame take? Post mount? Flat Mount? I'm lost here.
2. What carbon fork should I get? The frame clears 700x35 tires, so I don't need anything with super wide clearance. I assume I need a 1 x 1/8 straight steerer?
3. What kind of disc wheels should I get?
4. What size rotors?

I sincerely appreciate any help you can lend.

Old 01-25-20, 03:38 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
I picked up a LeMond Poprad disc frame and I need help with my first gravel build. The previous owner "opened up the guides" to run hydraulic discs. My background is exclusively rim-brake road bikes, so I know absolutely nothing about disc brakes. I'm hoping y'all can help educate me.

End goal is Sram hydro 2x11 group, carbon fork, tubeless wheels. I'm trying to keep this budget-friendly.

Initial questions:
1. What kind of brakes does this frame take? Post mount? Flat Mount? I'm lost here.
Looks like IS mount ("industry standard").

4. What size rotors?
160mm is most common for that kind of bike. If you're light, you can get 140mm. Or you can get 140mm in the rear and 160mm in the front. IS mount disc brakes require an adapter that connects those 2 holes on the frame to the calipers. There are various adapters for various size rotors. (A little tricky here - an adapter for a 140mm rear rotor is the same adapter you'd use for a 160mm front rotor. https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon.../disc-adapter/ )

You don't have to get an IS mount fork, but it might be convenient. Personally, I wouldn't make that a requirement for a fork - IS mount is somewhat old, most new forks come with flat mount.
Old 01-25-20, 05:10 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Those older frames probably run 130mm disc hubs, which are harder to source now
Old 01-25-20, 07:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Some 1 1/8 steerer carbon fork options-
- fyxation sparta
- soma
- ritchey
- whiskey

these brands have straight steerer forks. Some are full Carbon and others have a metal steerer.
Old 01-26-20, 07:41 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Thank you all for your help.

What about wheels? I assume I need QR wheels, and can't use any through axle wheels (don't even really know what those are)?
Old 01-26-20, 07:59 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

What about wheels? I assume I need QR wheels, and can't use any through axle wheels (don't even really know what those are)?
Yes, QR. And probably 130mm spacing
Old 01-26-20, 01:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Give a price range for there to be any use when it comes to wheels.
$450 means a nice set of wheels for some and that price means entry level junk to others.
No reason to have lots of suggestions that dont apply.

Oh, and what is the rear dropout spacing?
Old 01-26-20, 04:16 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Give a price range for there to be any use when it comes to wheels.
$450 means a nice set of wheels for some and that price means entry level junk to others.
No reason to have lots of suggestions that dont apply.

Oh, and what is the rear dropout spacing?
Fair point. I'd like to be ~$300. Rear spacing is 130.
Old 01-26-20, 08:09 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Fair point. I'd like to be ~$300. Rear spacing is 130.
I would have ZERO reservations spreading the dropouts to 135mm so you can buy any modern QR tubeless wheelset out there.

IS mount to post or flat mount adapter for the rear brake. Whatever standard your new fork uses for the front brake.

Match the rotor size to whatever you wind up needing with the brake/adapters front/rear.

Go 1X unless you have a specific reason not to.

Use a Shimano crank instead of a SRAM crank unless you have a specific reason not to.

Last edited by shoota; 01-27-20 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-26-20, 09:04 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
I have the exact frame. Used it many years with a 3x9 setup as my gravel grinder, but now it's got the original 2x10 105 that came on it.

(1) Others have already answered, IS mount.
(2) Not sure what to tell you here, I have my OEM fork - but make sure what you get has the cx-specific axle-to-crown measurement of around 400mm.
(4) 160mm. I have Avid BB7 on my setup but regardless, you want 160mm. It looks like for the rear brake housing routing, you'll need a ziptie on the left chainstay and maybe a couple elsewhere as you said they 'opened up the guides'.

It's a great riding bike. I probably have 5k miles on mine, over half off-road.
Old 01-27-20, 09:45 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I agree with shoota - +5mm is nothing for a steel frame. I'd just get standard 135mm rear wheels.

For your front fork - you really need to know the offset and fork to crown. Any changes in this is going to change how the bike handles, as it is directly related to the bike's trail (stability). That said, a few MM (<5mm) isn't gonna be a huge change.
Old 01-27-20, 02:32 PM
DorkDisk

That frame looks easy to spread, for sure, with no chainstay bridge. Personally I've spread a few frames with no issues, but never one with disk brakes. However, post mount adaptors do have a bit of lateral adjustment.
Old 01-27-20, 04:41 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Thanks all for the input. Regarding cold setting the frame, is that something you'd recommend I take to a frame builder (there's one local to me), or just do it myself?
Old 01-27-20, 11:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Thanks all for the input. Regarding cold setting the frame, is that something you'd recommend I take to a frame builder (there's one local to me), or just do it myself?
If a builder does it, the spreading will be even and the dropouts will be realigned exactly. That will cost money.
if you do it, the spreading will most likely be even, but perhaps not exact, and the dropouts will not be aligned as exactly. That will be free.

Totally depends on what you want to do for whatever the builder charges.
Old 01-28-20, 09:17 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I take mine to the lbs and they do it with tools, align the dropouts (you should do this anyway before building the bike), and they only charge like $20 or something. The whole process takes less than 30 minutes.
Old 06-23-22, 08:29 AM
mk_iii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ever finish this build?

I’ve had an poprad since 2007ish and it’s been through quite a few iterations. Every once in a while I do a search on poprad builds and came across this thread.

I had similar questions/issues over the iterations so wondering what you settled with.

Current iteration is:
  • Ritchey carbon fork
  • Campag SR11 groupset except for TRP cable disc brakes
  • Campag zonda disc wheels
  • Thompson cockpit and seatpost
  • Self-cold-set rear stays

Just took her out for a ride yesterday. It’s been a while but when I do I realize I still love this bike!