Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

New cycleway opens in Yorkshire – but council's cycling champion“disappointed”

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 10:26 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts

New cycleway opens in Yorkshire - but council's cycling champion "disappointed" by "irresponsible" cyclists you chose to ride on road instead. Read the whole story at road.cc.

Councillor Taj Salam, who cut the ribbon to open the new route and is Bradford council's cycling champion, said: “I am disappointed to think there are irresponsible riders out there who want to ignore the new route and carry on cycling in the road.

“We are delighted with the route. It provides a safe environment for cyclists as well as making the route safer for other road users as they are not having to negotiate them on the road so it is sad to hear people are choosing to ignore it.”

I hope that the white line on the ground is decorative, and not intended to serve as a divider for bi-directional traffic. Because if that "route" is supposed to be two individual lanes, I would stay on the road as well.
Old 05-27-19, 11:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I feel the same .... it is a one-lane road ... and the idiot who planned the picture chose an area where half the lane was made hazardous but a drainage grate.

"We did a job badly because none of us really knew what we were doing, and now the people who do know, whom we failed to consult, are not willing to risk their safety to validate our bad job. Life simply is not fair."

For an airhead politician.
Old 05-27-19, 11:19 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
That picture shows exactly why people would ignore it. People ride the center line and don't keep to their lane. There's a drainage grate, also it doesn't look like it is sloped properly so in winter and freeze/thaw the path will become an ice-rink or lake.

Poorly implemented infrastructure won't get used.
Old 05-27-19, 12:10 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
That picture shows exactly why people would ignore it. People ride the center line and don't keep to their lane. There's a drainage grate, also it doesn't look like it is sloped properly so in winter and freeze/thaw the path will become an ice-rink or lake.

Poorly implemented infrastructure won't get used.
Oh dear, a drainage grate. And it's narrow too, cyclists will have to go in a straight line when there's oncoming traffic! With an attitude like that it's better to not waste any money on cycling infrastructure because people will find any excuse not to use it.
Old 05-27-19, 12:19 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Councillor Taj Salam, Bradford council's cycling champion does the ribbon cutting and he is not even riding a bicycle for the opening. And then he is going to disparage the two cyclist that did not want to join the circuis on a 6 foot wide, two way path, with metal drainage grades in 90 degree turns.

His proper title should be Bradford council's cycling dunce, for this poorly designed, get off my road path.
Old 05-27-19, 04:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Oh dear, a drainage grate. And it's narrow too, cyclists will have to go in a straight line when there's oncoming traffic! With an attitude like that it's better to not waste any money on cycling infrastructure because people will find any excuse not to use it.
Yes ... exactly ... but the excuse is "It is not safe." Also, It is poorly designed." Further, "It was obviously Not designed with input from actual active cyclists."

If a town built an unsafe road that puts drivers and passengers at risk, would you drive on it just because someone built it? Would you buy and drive an exploding Ford Pinto to soothe the feelings of the executives at Ford who calculated that paying off wrongful death suits would be marginally less expensive than moving the car's fuel filler neck? Would you ride in an airplane after dozens of that model had crashed and it was being taken out of service in most countries, to make the airlines feel better?

Yes ... Much Better Not to WASTE money on badly designed and constructed infrastructure, because sensible people won't use it. We are in complete agreement.
Old 05-27-19, 04:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
There's a bike path like this in Watertown MA (Arsenal St.) although it's only about a mile long. I've never seen anyone actually use it. It's all pretty and green, but it crosses a bunch of busy driveways, and it's clearly more dangerous than riding in the street on the correct side of the road. That's saying something because Arsenal St. is not a good street to ride on.

That path doesn't look appropriate for anything over 5mph. I'd never use it.
Old 05-27-19, 04:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
If that path actually became popular, it would jam up--people have varying ability to ride a straight line, and on a path that narrow, it's going to go sideways a lot, especially with crap like that sewer grate.

You're confusing "excuse" with "good reason" .
Old 05-28-19, 04:03 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
I'm not ready to be herded like cattle; I'll stick to the roads.
Old 06-03-19, 06:47 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
That bike path's sadly typical of quite a few around here, clearly implemented by local councils who cobble together something like that with no input from people who actually ride on those roads in rush hour traffic. A lot of this so called infrastructure is done to secure central government funding; an example of that in my home town is two stretches of bus lanes that aren't even on a bus route.

For a so-called Cycling Champion to come out with the remark he's quoted with about cyclists using the road being irresponsible is mind boggling. One can't help wonder what the attitude of opponents of cycling are like?

There's an especially lethal cycle lane on my commute home; it's a painted strip on the road side that ends right on a bend where the road narrows. The paint is flaking making it even more dangerous in the wet. In the interest of my health I do not and will not ride in it.