Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are SAPIM J-bend spokes shorter than nominally identical DT ?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-23-20, 07:37 PM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

Is it true that SAPIM measures their spokes from centre of the bend while DT from the inner edge? Shall I subtract 1mm from DT swiss calculator results when using SAPIM spokes?
Old 01-23-20, 07:50 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by avrilboazmoss
Is it true that SAPIM measures their spokes from centre of the bend while DT from the inner edge? Shall I subtract 1mm from DT swiss calculator results when using SAPIM spokes?
Not sure where you got that from, but I have tons of both brands here and never found that to be true. Most of the time, I'm cutting spokes to length anyway, but for those times I'm not, the Sapims always measure accurately out of the bag on my spoke ruler.
Old 01-24-20, 12:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
​​​​​I've never heard that either. I ordered Sapim spokes from Danscomp a few years ago for a project, and the spoke ends landed exactly where I expected them to.

@avrilboazmoss, I have a radical idea for you: have you considered emailing the company to find out?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-24-20, 12:24 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Is it true that SAPIM measures their spokes from centre of the bend while DT from the inner edge? ...
Can you post a source for that?
Old 01-25-20, 12:38 AM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Can you post a source for that?
Nothing authoritative, just a random post withing rounding up/down discussion in 2016 on mtbr forum:
Just to toss more confusion into your woes, perhaps you should find out how spokes mfgs measure their lengths. I know DT DOES NOT measure from center of the J-bent section to the tip of the threads. They use inside to tip length, so if you use 2mm, you should add 1mm. Sapim, on the other hand, DOES measure center to tip and their labeled lengths are exactly 1mm short when you lay it on a Park spoke ruler (what I used for the DT also).
Old 01-25-20, 10:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
One hopes that 1mm of spoke length change won't ruin your wheels.

I've cut hundreds of spokes on a few different Phil machines and assume on a .5mm variance is resulting length. If I need a closer length tolerance I have cut/thread the spoke long and ground to the length and run the spoke through the cutter/threaded to clean up and resize the threads. Andy
Old 01-25-20, 11:31 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Nothing authoritative, just a random post withing rounding up/down discussion in 2016 on mtbr forum:
Just to toss more confusion into your woes, perhaps you should find out how spokes mfgs measure their lengths. I know DT DOES NOT measure from center of the J-bent section to the tip of the threads. They use inside to tip length, so if you use 2mm, you should add 1mm. Sapim, on the other hand, DOES measure center to tip and their labeled lengths are exactly 1mm short when you lay it on a Park spoke ruler (what I used for the DT also).
I wonder what the people at Sapim would say if asked.
Old 01-26-20, 11:11 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
OK, how about some actual confirmation. Here I have a spoke taken from a bag of Sapim Race spokes marked as 268mm

And a DT Swiss

As near as my old eyes can tell, the Sapim is pretty much dead on 268 whereas the DT is about 1/2 mm short. I consider that within tolerance.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 01-27-20, 06:47 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
For the last wheels that I built, I accidentally measured from the end of the bend instead of the middle of the bend. This made me order 1mm longer sapim spokes. Then, the spokes I received had up to 1.5mm of differences in length. And the holes on the flange can be a little off center, I'd say 0.5mm.

So the result was most spoke tips ending 1mm above the nipple slot, but a few were at the top of the nipple head. Sapim 12 and 14mm nipples can have the spoke tips bottom out when they are around 0.5mm above the nipple head. But there were 2 spokes that went a further 1mm, so the tip was 1.5mm to 2mm above the spoke head. I simply turn the spoke 2 or 3 revolutions further after bottoming out. I don't think it's a problem and may help with retention.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 01-29-20, 11:57 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
DT Swiss measures from center to end

All others that I know of measure from inside to end.

For 14g (2.0mm) spokes - it is about a .5mm diff.

So it's basically something only to be concerned with with DT Swiss spokes AS-IS from a box.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life