Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Minor/usual alloy rim braking surface defects?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 11:14 AM
am8117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

Would you consider this a defect for a brand new alloy rim or are these to be expected? I am specifically wondering about the machined braking surface because while rather cosmetic, it seems that only on one side the aluminum was brittle as it is "chewed" both from the inside and outside.

Old 01-27-20, 12:13 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
If you bought the rim from a commercial enterprise as "new", I'd suggest that you return it or ask for an adjustment. Part of the reason you pay a lot of dough for new stuff is that the aesthetics are terrific. This rim was ill-used. If you bought it via ebay, well, with ebay you takes your chances. Up to you whether to return it. Can't see the pic very well: is the rim tape all torn up?:

If the rim is not out of round, it's probably ok for use, but you'd need a new rim strip.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 01-27-20, 12:16 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
If unused, definitely a defect. If used, you need to check your pads for embedded debris.
Old 01-27-20, 12:20 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
If you bought the rim from a commercial enterprise as "new", I'd suggest that you return it or ask for an adjustment. Part of the reason you pay a lot of dough for new stuff is that the aesthetics are terrific. This rim was ill-used. If you bought it via ebay, well, with ebay you takes your chances. Up to you whether to return it. Can't see the pic very well: is the rim tape all torn up?:

If the rim is not out of round, it's probably ok for use, but you'd need a new rim strip.
Thanks for the reply.

This was sold as new and it’s rim only, no signs of use and the “tape” is just cling wrap I put aside to snap the pictures. It’s rims only for fresh wheel build.

i just wanted to know if it is not something like “usual” aluminium extrusion process defects if someone had a chance to see many more new rims than I do. Basically no problem with return but don’t want to be surprised to receive the same again just week later. 😬
Old 01-27-20, 12:24 PM
am8117

Originally Posted by jadocs
If unused, definitely a defect. If used, you need to check your pads for embedded debris.
Thanks, Unused and new, just put aside the cling wrap and found couple of spots but this one particularly uneven. The wrap was not torn in that place and nothing damaged on the packaging. So I really think this came out like so from the factory.
Old 01-27-20, 12:29 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by avrilboazmoss
Thanks for the reply.

This was sold as new and it’s rim only, no signs of use and the “tape” is just cling wrap I put aside to snap the pictures. It’s rims only for fresh wheel build.

i just wanted to know if it is not something like “usual” aluminium extrusion process defects if someone had a chance to see many more new rims than I do. Basically no problem with return but don’t want to be surprised to receive the same again just week later. 😬
My experience is that new rims aren't marred like that. But rims can get marred like that pretty quickly in use. Your call, but the rims (if round) would probably be functionally fine in use.
Old 01-27-20, 12:53 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by avrilboazmoss
i just wanted to know if it is not something like “usual” aluminium extrusion process defects
No, the blemish is on the machined brake track, which is a process after the extrusion. It looks like shipping or storage damage to me, perhaps jostling against something hard enough to leave those marks.

In any case, I would consider it a cosmetic, not a structural issue. It's your call if you want to return it.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-27-20, 01:14 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
As Johnny D says, likely damage from storage or due to careless handling. An aluminum rim is much softer than many building materials like stone or bricks or steel, so it is possible that the rim got dropped or placed somewhere and that caused the little damaged spots.

(a) There is 100% no problem with riding that rim...

(b)...but it should not have been sold as 'new' at full price, but rather as a 'scratch'n'dent' or blemished item with some percentage off MSRP. But if this rim is going on a bike meant for riding and not just for looking at, then just build it up and ride - such scratches are very common from regular riding. If I went to the LBS to buy a rim this afternoon I would expect to have that amount of damage by the time I got home just from the rim being in the trunk of my car. I might notice the damage as I laced the wheel, but it wouldn't stop me for one second from riding with it.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 01-27-20, 01:35 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Isn't this rim for a gravel bike?
Old 01-27-20, 09:44 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
I used to worry about things like this, but no longer...it is not structural and only cosmetic...if it bothers you return it...if this were my wheel, I would ride it and not think twice about it.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 01-28-20, 12:01 AM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I think this is some manufacture / handling error. send em back.

james
www.buckyrides.com
Old 01-28-20, 06:19 AM
am8117

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Isn't this rim for a gravel bike?
Yep. I know what you are thinking.

There were too concerns I had despite it would take more hits when ridden later for sure:
1) Since there's the inner side of the same rim brake surface "filed off" as well, I was concerned whether for some reason this already did not happen during machining the brake surfaces due to the particular rim being brittle.
2) There were minor scratches on the black anodized surfaces - probably from spokes shipped together in the same parcel. I would never bother for those, but combined with the dent one feels like that's not what was paid for.