Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

I crashed (road rash question)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

I crashed (road rash question)

Old 06-28-18, 07:59 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
Thanks. I'm pretty well equipped with tegaderm/gauze/non stick pads/colloidal silver/topical antibiotic/etc, and already had 2 doctors/nurses spend the better part of an hour cleaning the wounds and picking out debris. I want to go the moist healing route because I believe it will be faster healing and reduce scarring. My hip wound is too large for tegaderm currently (at least, the biggest sheets they had at the doctors/pharamacy), but until it reduces saran wrap actually seems like a pretty cool idea - i hadn't heard of that one before. Thanks!
Moist

Tegaderm is a breathable membrane - saran wrap is not.
Old 06-29-18, 05:04 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Moist

Tegaderm is a breathable membrane - saran wrap is not.
that infection is going to be pretty nasty 7 months on!
Old 07-02-18, 07:09 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Whatever happened to Scheibo?

He was here a lot. Then he was gone. Like Doge.
Old 07-02-18, 10:34 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Whatever happened to Scheibo?

He was here a lot. Then he was gone. Like Doge.
Last I saw him he indicated he was moving to Canada. No internet up there, eh.
Old 07-02-18, 02:31 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've mostly returned to lurking this forum every few weeks. Been riding poorly and not racing. Work was frustrating for a while and as Ygduf mentions I was supposed to move back to Canada, but that fell through when the comp ended up being terrible and I was able to negotiate for pretty much the same role in Cali. I haven't rage quit BF a la Doge just yet, but thanks for remembering me.
Old 08-10-18, 06:20 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Thanks for all the info in this sticky. Followed everyone’s advice. Healed up quite nicely. It hurt more than I thought, and the oozing mess was disgusting.

Thank you.
Old 01-13-19, 09:17 AM
BlondeBikerBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice that will expedite the healing process as well as reduce scarring is to keep the wound wet. I prefer Neosporin, but any antibiotic ointment will work. As for the sticking to the wound, when removing the bandage, make sure not to pull straight away from the skin. Instead, keep the bandage close to the skin and pull backwards.
Old 01-14-19, 10:30 PM
seattle29er

Bikes: Bianchi Project 5, Co-Motion tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlondeBikerBoy
My advice that will expedite the healing process as well as reduce scarring is to keep the wound wet. I prefer Neosporin, but any antibiotic ointment will work. As for the sticking to the wound, when removing the bandage, make sure not to pull straight away from the skin. Instead, keep the bandage close to the skin and pull backwards.
+1 Neosporin
Old 02-28-19, 01:02 PM
steven.burkard

Bikes: Argon 18 Krypton

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a question of if, but when

Crashing sucks. I went down hard in September 2018 and dealt with recovering road rash to my right side (butt and shoulder).

My local Hospital Emergency dressed my road rash with a product call Mepilex Border for the larger area, and Mepitel and gauze for the smaller areas. The Emergency nurse told me that "our body is pretty good at healing itself, and that the wound needs to stew its own juices". I changed it after the first 4 days, and after 8 days it was pretty much healed.

I trusted her, and was super happy for the advice, and the results.
Old 07-19-21, 03:08 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Wow, do I appreciate this posting, I've tried to read all and follow as much as I could. Got some Tegaderm...scrubbed (as hard as I could through the pain) the wounds, applied some ointment (Aquaphor) and they appear to be "healing".

The whole seeping mess is a bit disconcerting however.

How long should I do the Tegaderm? Is there a point where I should use something else? Is there a point where I can just put larger regular ace bandage types (4" square ones) on the wounds (with ointment) or should I just keep going with the Tegaderm?

I'm 6 days out from the crash.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-21, 04:28 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. IME, it really depends. How fast you heal and how deep the scrapes are are two big factors. I generally have used Tegaderm for as long as possible - if you need more, order in bulk from Amazon. If it oozes a lot, change the Tegaderm.
Old 07-28-21, 08:01 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
Wow, do I appreciate this posting, I've tried to read all and follow as much as I could. Got some Tegaderm...scrubbed (as hard as I could through the pain) the wounds, applied some ointment (Aquaphor) and they appear to be "healing".

The whole seeping mess is a bit disconcerting however.

How long should I do the Tegaderm? Is there a point where I should use something else? Is there a point where I can just put larger regular ace bandage types (4" square ones) on the wounds (with ointment) or should I just keep going with the Tegaderm?

I'm 6 days out from the crash.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Sorry to hear about your crash. IME, it really depends. How fast you heal and how deep the scrapes are are two big factors. I generally have used Tegaderm for as long as possible - if you need more, order in bulk from Amazon. If it oozes a lot, change the Tegaderm.
This.

If the wound is deep, it takes longer. Normal road rash, if there is such a thing, should be gone in a week, like all pink skin.

I'm sure the images are up there but here's some pictures - the first ones are 3 days healed. The ankle took forever, and my foot was swollen because I was in a wheelchair (for pelvic fractures, not the ankle). And the elbow took a couple weeks. Sprinter della Casa: Life - Visuals Of A Recovery

FYI that was the first crash in forever for me, and the first time I ever broke a bone, and I'd been racing mainly crits for 27 seasons at that point. Well that finished my 27th season lol.

Amazon - $30 for 50 sheets, might be $20,. $10 more for an 11 yard roll (33 feet). Just checked. $24 for 50 sheets, $33 for 11 yard roll which is great for longer road rash but generally not necessary, although you can cut smaller pieces off as necessary.

Also first aid "painless" spray for cleaning - it numbs the surface and you can clean aggressively for a few minutes. disinfectant also. First picture in this post: Sprinter della Casa: How To - Road Rash Care

I was a promoter so I brought all that stuff to my races. I also bring them now to races anyway, because all that stuff is so expensive if you have to buy it at CVS or whatever. I offer it to any races that crash as well, so I've gone through 100 tegaderms and an 11 yard roll in the last 6 years or so. I have a new 50 sheet box (used some on my son's knee from a playground fall), first aid spray, gauze to clean but also protect the Tegaderm, tape to hold the gauze in place.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing: