Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel grinder project advice

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 12-05-19, 07:43 PM
Johnnyyuma
all-arounder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,
Was thinking it would be fun to "build" a gravel grinder after seeing many cheap (sub 100s) 1980s/90s/early 2000s rigid mountanin bikes on craigslist. I already have a spare set of drop bars to use. I would like to get a straight (instead of curved) fork with a disk brake, preferably alloy. What are some nice, relatively cheap options? Would a modern fork fit an older bike? Would the geometry make sense?
Old 12-05-19, 07:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Google surly forks. Lots of different options that are straight and disc.
they all have different axle to crown measurements, so buy the one that is the closest match to your bike's fork.

These are all 1 1/8 steerers so you would need a bike that fits a 1 1/8 steerer, which no 80s and some 90s MTBs wont accept.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-05-19, 07:55 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
In addition to the above....note that older frames will have ISO brake mounts for disc--if they even have disc mounts (if you're going back to the 1980s)--so beware in spec'ing out components and brake adapters. Also be aware of QR-only and the frame's axle spacing when spec'ing out your wheels.
Old 12-05-19, 08:08 PM
Johnnyyuma
all-arounder

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, looks like most of them are 1". So does anyone know of any good 1" forks?
Old 12-06-19, 07:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/c/22023972760
Bikeman Kona P2 Mountain Fork, 1 Inch!, Now with Rack Eyelets!

I dont really keep up on whats available in 26" straight disc forks with 1" steerers. That would be an extremely niche product line and I havent come upon a reason to look.
With that said, the closest I do know of is a Kona branded fork called the P2. Its been around for years, is threadless and straight, and is 1". It isnt disc brake though, as far as I know. There is a 29er version thats disc.
Old 12-07-19, 06:57 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
This sounds like a project that will cost as much as an entry level gravel bike and completely suck to ride at the end of the day.
Likes For shoota:
Old 12-08-19, 09:21 AM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I converted my old trek rigid mtb with an old riser stem, drop bars, rl520 levers, and bar end shifters. You are better off buying a gravel bike before you start swapping out wheels and forks.
Old 12-09-19, 09:45 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnnyyuma
Hey all,
Was thinking it would be fun to "build" a gravel grinder after seeing many cheap (sub 100s) 1980s/90s/early 2000s rigid mountanin bikes on craigslist. I already have a spare set of drop bars to use. I would like to get a straight (instead of curved) fork with a disk brake, preferably alloy. What are some nice, relatively cheap options? Would a modern fork fit an older bike? Would the geometry make sense?
if you are handy and have time it is a fun project
If u don't need newest bestist lightest but usable bike do it did and love my 1990's rockadille drop bar graveler.....
up and until i built up my new titanium cx bike.
Old 12-14-19, 05:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
This sounds like a project that will cost as much as an entry level gravel bike and completely suck to ride at the end of the day.
Yes, I agree... I hate to discourage you but you could wind up with a better bike faster for less with a stock low-end bike. Maybe get a low-end aluminum Jamis Renegade with Claris for less than $800 if it is a closeout on a previous season model. I have seen entry level Salsa Journeymen on closeout at around that price too. What size are you?
Old 12-18-19, 02:43 PM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I'd suggest looking on Facebook Marketplace for a gravel bike that's maybe 1-3 years old. If you're in a large city you'll find many to choose from for less than half of new. I like buying used because that inevitable first scratch won't ruin my day/week.