Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

pedestrian/cycling crashes with motor vehicles, I don't feel so vulnerable anymore

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

pedestrian/cycling crashes with motor vehicles, I don't feel so vulnerable anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 10:43 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

Was browsing the headlines on Drudge Report and he linked to a Miami Herald article about how dangerous it is to be a pedestrian in Florida. That made me curious about how that compares with bicycle/car collisions. We know that pedestrians don't usually travel very far, and us oldsters don't think anything of riding for 10-20, or more miles on a ride.

One Googled web site shows that there were 4,884 pedestrians killed in auto collisions in 2014 and 'only' 726 cyclists. Realizing that even one is too many, it is a minor relief to me that it appears I am much safer riding my bike than hoofing it.

The article didn't state it, but subtly implied that most ped/auto crashes happen at intersections. We as riders already know that and are usually hyper aware when we approach and traverse an intersection. It's almost like we expect something to happen and are on the lookout for it. Ride safe, everyone.
Old 01-10-17, 10:52 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
A lot more pedestrians than cyclists.
What would be more relevant is the accident rate per 10,000 pedestrians vs cyclists?
Half of the fatal bike accidents are with kids--so unfortunately, another quarter of them are at night too often without lights!
Old 01-10-17, 11:14 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I did some research for a safety presentation in my office last year.

ROUGHLY -

13% of bike-car collisions are right hooks
13% of bike-car collisions are left hooks
26% of bike-car collisions are bike riders going against traffic (salmoning)
Old 01-10-17, 11:16 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
It's all in how you slice the statistics. I suspect that the number of deaths per 100,000 participants is somewhat higher for cyclists than for pedestrians, even though the absolute number is lower. I also suspect the number of deaths per person-hour of activity is vastly higher for cyclists.

If we want to use absolute numbers, jumping out of a plane is far, far safer than staying inside the plane. (22 fatalities vs. 428 for 2015)
Old 01-10-17, 11:34 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I did some research for a safety presentation in my office last year.

ROUGHLY -

13% of bike-car collisions are right hooks
13% of bike-car collisions are left hooks
26% of bike-car collisions are bike riders going against traffic (salmoning)
That word "salmoning" is a great descriptive.
Lots of kids do it and on side walks as well.
Would like to think "blinkies" help with those right and left hooks--but certainly not fool proof!
Old 01-10-17, 11:35 AM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Need ratios

One of the first things I explain in my statistics courses is how often raw numbers are useless. To compare risks in these examples one needs to consider ratios. I would use total accidents per total time spent in activity or accidents per distance traveled, depending on what data is available or can be estimated. In fact, just yesterday for my first class this semester at Purdue I gave the raw statistic that there are more bicycle fatalities in August than in January, but one could not conclude that riding in winter is safer based on this data.
Old 01-10-17, 11:38 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In the Commuting forum, there's a discussion on this. WPHamilton makes an interesting observation:
Originally Posted by wphamilton
@Daniel4, it does not mean that being a pedestrian is much riskier because there are a lot more pedestrian trips than bicycle trips. When you normalize traffic* accidents by number of trips, a cyclist has 1.5 times the risk of fatality as does the pedestrian, and almost 7 times the risk of non-fatal injury. I got those numbers from Motor Vehicle Crash Injury Rates by Mode of Travel, United States: Using Exposure-Based Methods to Quantify Differences

* I want to note that I see two issues with this, and we should take it as a very rough estimate only. One, they are estimating trips and injuries from FARS data and a database dependent on police-reported incidents. Two, because of those sources, only those incidents involving motor vehicles, and where the police were called or were present, are included in the data. As a result, the injuries suffered by cyclists are under-reported by a factor of at least 10! Bicycle-related ER visits are somewhere around 485,000 per year, but only 48,000 of them are in this data. Pedestrian numbers are surely also skewed this way. So please take it for what it is: an estimate of risk for bicycles and pedestrians from motor vehicles.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-10-17, 12:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Would like to think "blinkies" help with those right and left hooks--but certainly not fool proof!
Nope, not in my case at least. Back when I bicycle-commuted, there was a 'problem' intersection on my route where I'd been right-hooked several times. I learned not jut to take the lane, but to ride in the left tire track. That didn't stop one old lady from changing lanes and then hooking me from the next lane over. Put a dent in her fender over a foot wide. When she saw I was OK enough to get up off the pavement, she drove off. I always wondered how she explained that to her husband when the dent was discovered.
Old 01-10-17, 06:30 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
... I learned not just to take the lane, but to ride in the left tire track. That didn't stop one old lady from changing lanes and then hooking me from the next lane over. Put a dent in her fender over a foot wide. When she saw I was OK enough to get up off the pavement, she drove off. I always wondered how she explained that to her husband when the dent was discovered.
Most motorists do not understand that right turns are to be initiated from the curb. Oregon and other states with bike lanes extending all the way to an intersection reinforce this, as do bike lane buffers.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-10-17, 06:36 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
All of these numbers thrown around make the assumption that bad driving is an acceptable norm.

Remove the car and pedestrian deaths would be around 1 every five years due to cyclist collision. Remove the car and cyclist deaths would drop dramatically to cyclists losing control over road conditions. Neither will go down to zero, but they won't be in the hundreds per year either.

The measurement that makes sense would be deaths of pedestrians, cyclists and motorist per motor-vehicle, not per population nor per miles.

We can't remove the car, but it seems we can improve driver behaviour.

Only time will tell how all these fatality rates will decrease when self-driving cars are introduced.

Last edited by Daniel4; 01-10-17 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 08:14 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The actual report....

Dangerous by Design

The largest problem with the metric is that the denominator is derived from the Census Department's American Community Survey (ACS), which is quite noisy and only captures pedestrians who commute to work where walking is the farthest DISTANCE of their commute.

(Same problem with ACS and biking btw. If you walk or bike to a train or subway, but you ride the train or subway farther, you are a transit commuter not a pedestrian commuter or a bike commuter.)

They then use the ACS number as a proxy for how many people are walking in an area.

The other is that the numerator is Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), which is the opposite of the canary in the coal mine, and even then, FARS is both noisy because of the "small" numbers of fatalities (by area) and the quality of the data that it does/doesn't contain.

That said, even with that limitation, while being number one versus number seven means not very much, being an order of magnitude more dangerous by this metric (most of the metropolitan areas of Florida versus most of the metropolitan areas of the Northeast) does mean something.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-11-17 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 09:22 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
A friend of mine is a Naturopathic Doctor. Her father lives in FL and he decided he needed to be more active. He took up cycling and walking on a regular basis. She, of course, thought this was long overdue. He went out for a walk one day, was hit by a truck and killed. Ironically, he had previously made complaints to the local PD about drivers in the area.
Old 01-11-17, 11:11 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Keep in mind that cycling or walking, a number of people hit and killed by cars are drunk.

Recreational cyclists are more likely to wear helmets as well. Pedestrians generally don't wear helmets.
Old 01-11-17, 07:57 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
A friend of mine is a Naturopathic Doctor. Her father lives in FL and he decided he needed to be more active. He took up cycling and walking on a regular basis. She, of course, thought this was long overdue. He went out for a walk one day, was hit by a truck and killed. Ironically, he had previously made complaints to the local PD about drivers in the area.
That is very sad. People who are not really "cyclists" or have never ridden a bicycle in traffic one day decide that is their new sport. Or motorcycles, same thing. I think part of cycling (or motorcycling) is growing up in it or at least for a cliche, taking baby steps, learn the ropes. Do not just jump out on a busy street. You have to learn the rules. Of course, even then, sometimes it may not be enough. Knock on wood, I try to believe that I am my l am captain of my fate and that my actions can avoid bad things. Maybe.
Old 01-11-17, 09:02 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
That is very sad. People who are not really "cyclists" or have never ridden a bicycle in traffic one day decide that is their new sport. Or motorcycles, same thing. I think part of cycling (or motorcycling) is growing up in it or at least for a cliche, taking baby steps, learn the ropes. Do not just jump out on a busy street. You have to learn the rules. Of course, even then, sometimes it may not be enough. Knock on wood, I try to believe that I am my l am captain of my fate and that my actions can avoid bad things. Maybe.
Just to make sure I was clear. He was killed while walking. And, yes, it was really sad.
Old 01-12-17, 08:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
IIRC, Florida is usually up there on the list of states with the most cycling deaths.
Old 01-12-17, 09:03 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Keep in mind that cycling or walking, a number of people hit and killed by cars are drunk.
Or, in Florida, incapacitated by age.
Old 01-15-17, 02:27 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Or, in Florida, incapacitated by age.
Not all of them!
I'm not at all surprised that so many pedestrians are killed by motor vehicles in Florida. For a long time I had assumed that they had the right of way regardless of the situation, but according to FL law that is not the case. Pedestrians, before crossing the street, should look left, then right, then left again to ensure it's safe to cross. In fact, on a daily basis I see many "goofies," old and young, just step into the street without looking either way.
Old 01-15-17, 06:14 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
On a per kilometer basis in the US... Car occupant is 7 fatalities per billion km travelled, bicycle is 75 per billion, and walking is 90 per billion. If you are going to ride 10 miles or walk/run 10 miles then riding is safer (and car much safer).

You can probably guesstimate some exposure time risks given x or y average speeds.

For comparison The Netherlands is 8 bicycle fatalities per billion km so the U.S. is almost 10 times as dangerous.
Old 01-15-17, 06:42 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
On a per kilometer basis in the US... Car occupant is 7 fatalities per billion km travelled, bicycle is 75 per billion, and walking is 90 per billion. If you are going to ride 10 miles or walk/run 10 miles then riding is safer (and car much safer).

You can probably guesstimate some exposure time risks given x or y average speeds.

For comparison The Netherlands is 8 bicycle fatalities per billion km so the U.S. is almost 10 times as dangerous.
and it's about the same size as maryland. There were 6 cyclists kill.

Maryland traffic fatalities hit 66-year low - Baltimore Sun

While in the netherlands Of the 570 road traffic deaths recorded in the Netherlands in 2014, 185 involved cyclists and cyclists also accounted for half of those seriously injured.

The Netherlands one of safest EU countries for road use, bike deaths an issue - DutchNews.nl
Old 01-15-17, 07:02 PM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by Gyro
and it's about the same size as maryland. There were 6 cyclists kill. ...
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. That Maryland is safer?

The Netherlands has over three times the population as Maryland so on a per capita basis someone in Maryland is about three times as likely to be killed by someone driving a car as someone in The Netherlands.

The average Dutch rides a bit over 1,000 km's per year, the average U.S. about 30 km's. Assuming the average for Maryland is about the same 30 km (I'd guess much less but we'll go with the U.S. average) then, very roughly, a bicycle rider in Maryland is a bit over 90 times as likely to be killed per kilometer as someone in The Netherlands.

That DutchNews.nl article you linked skipped over an important bit - per km cycled. The Netherlands is not only one of the safest places in the world to drive a car but is also the ONLY country where riding a bicycle is safer per mile than riding in a car.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 01-15-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 07:34 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

That DutchNews.nl article you linked skipped over an important bit - per km cycled. The Netherlands is not only one of the safest places in the world to drive a car but is also the ONLY country where riding a bicycle is safer per mile than riding in a car.
No, after my trip to Denmark, I wrote to the Copenhagen traffic safety department for the fatality and injuries statistics. Per billion km, cycling is safer than driving by something like 5x.

And since NYC had implemented more bicycling infrastructure and road changes, the increase in ridership has corresponded with the decrease in fatalities. (Street Fight, Janette Sadik Khan).
Old 01-15-17, 07:48 PM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by Daniel4
No, after my trip to Denmark, I wrote to the Copenhagen traffic safety department for the fatality and injuries statistics. Per billion km, cycling is safer than driving by something like 5x.
Denmark auto fatalities is about 5 per billion km's while bicycle fatalities are about 10 per billion km's. Even eliminating all motorway miles and fatalities (motorways are much safer than surface streets) brings auto fatalities on surface streets up to about 6 per billion km's. No matter how you measure it bicycling is more dangerous than driving a car in Denmark. That said, Denmark is the second safest country in the world for bicycling and about 7 times safer than riding in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Daniel4
And since NYC had implemented more bicycling infrastructure and road changes, the increase in ridership has corresponded with the decrease in fatalities. (Street Fight, Janette Sadik Khan).
Yes. IIRC that's a decrease in fatalities per trip. I think absolute fatalities has risen slightly. Either way NYC is a much safer place to ride a bicycle today than 5 years ago and it's continuing to get safer as more protected bikeways are built.
Old 01-15-17, 08:26 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. That Maryland is safer?

The Netherlands has over three times the population as Maryland so on a per capita basis someone in Maryland is about three times as likely to be killed by someone driving a car as someone in The Netherlands.

The average Dutch rides a bit over 1,000 km's per year, the average U.S. about 30 km's. Assuming the average for Maryland is about the same 30 km (I'd guess much less but we'll go with the U.S. average) then, very roughly, a bicycle rider in Maryland is a bit over 90 times as likely to be killed per kilometer as someone in The Netherlands.

I'm not saying anything. I wonder how the Netherlands compared to a equal size state mass instead of the whole USA. Can't account for what's is or isn't in the article.