Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Pair of Raleigh Pro's

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A Pair of Raleigh Pro's

Old 06-07-11, 09:53 AM
MetinUz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
A Pair of Raleigh Pro's

This weekend I bought a 1968 Raleigh Pro that already has its own thread. I got it from the original owner, who bought it from Spence Wolf at Saratoga Bike Shop. It requires a lot of cleanup, but is in original condition. This should keep me busy for a while.

Some may remember another Raleigh Pro I wrote about a year and a half ago. It's mostly done now. I am using this opportunity to show "as found" pictures of the '68 and work in progress pictures of the '70. These are at different ends of my size range, I would have been happier with something in the middle. Note that I replaced the bars and stem on the '70 for a better fit.

Here is an as-found picture of the '70:

Cleaned up and ready to ride:

I still need to rebuild the original wheels, as the spokes were too rusty to be saved. I can't decide between rebuilding the original Weinmann tubulars or switching to MA-2 clinchers.

The paint is in remarkable condition, but the headbadge is faded and the chrome is mostly gone, looks like nickel now.
Old 06-07-11, 10:05 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Awesome, I am crazy about my vintage Raleighs.. I would love to find me a late 70s or 80s pro, but the prices are to the moon on these bikes..
Old 06-07-11, 10:23 AM
tugrul

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The low fast back cluster seems out of place on that bike. It practically has s-bend stays
Old 06-07-11, 10:47 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
great story and beautiful bikes. just one thing, the tire savers are pointing the wrong direction except for the the rear one on the '68

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-07-11, 11:30 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Both are iconic Raleighs of the period. Good score! If the fastback Pro has the unlabeled Campagnolo calipers you REALLY scored!
Old 06-07-11, 12:11 PM
MetinUz

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
great story and beautiful bikes. just one thing, the tire savers are pointing the wrong direction except for the the rear one on the '68
Thanks. I had no idea, so left them as found on the '70. I see that they are reversed on the '68, which seems to make more sense. I am guessing they are both correct on '68. I'll flip the other ones.
Old 06-07-11, 12:20 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Fabulous score! I'm in love with the white one. (I think I'd remove the rear rack though and touch up the stays!)
Old 06-07-11, 12:57 PM
MetinUz

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Fabulous score! I'm in love with the white one. (I think I'd remove the rear rack though and touch up the stays!)
Definitely. I cringe every time I see one of those Esge racks, as they invariably scratch the paint. It's unusual that the '68 did not come with fender holes on the dropouts, as later years added them. There are also lots of grease stains and numerous chips that need to be touched up. The red stripe on the seat tube is almost all gone, victim of a water bottle cage. All the components seem to be in good shape, though the grease has turned to varnish.