Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Figuring out Brake+Fender Mount

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 03:49 PM
hexron

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had an LBS in my old hometown install fenders for me a couple years ago. They talked me into an adapter set so the fender interface wouldn't be up against the frame. Ok - well now I want to install some new brakes and I can't figure out how to disassemble the thing. Is there a recessed hex bolt in there?

Old 01-01-19, 04:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 2,304 Posts
Glad the lack of washers between the fender bracket tab and the bolts didn't cause any issues.

Remove the hex socket bolt (likely a 5 or 6mm wrench).. Then remove the fender. Now you'll see another hex wrench fitting inside the smooth sided hollow "nut" that holds on the brake caliper. IIRC a 6mm hex wrench should fit it. Loosen and remove it. Now the caliper is able to be pulled from the frame.

These fender fitting nuts are called Sheldon Nuts. They allow fender mounting for bike that otherwise have recessed brake bolt mounts. Andy
Old 01-01-19, 08:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Used Sheldon's nuts? Named for Sheldon Brown, who bugged QBP to have them made..
Old 01-01-19, 08:57 PM
bobin

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the info:
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Glad the lack of washers between the fender bracket tab and the bolts didn't cause any issues.
? There should be more washers?
Old 01-01-19, 11:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 2,304 Posts
Originally Posted by bobin
Thanks for the info:

? There should be more washers?
As general mechanical practice any slotted device should be secured by a bolt/nut USING washers on the working face of the slotted piece. So in this case the fender bracket tab has two faces contacting nuts or bolts. A washer on both sides (a sandwich) is in order. This helps to spread out the clamping force on a greater surface area as well as better support the slotted aspect of the bracket.

Think of an axle in a slotted/horizontal drop out. The nut wants a washer under it to better secure the tightening force. But in this case two additional factors are at play. One is the fragile nature of the sheet metal bracket tab, all the more easier to distort/tear. The other is unlike an axle with a substantially sized locknut the Sheldon Nut is rather small in it's head's diameter.

Call me anal, but if I work on your bike this is some of the practice I follow. Andy
Old 01-02-19, 09:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
yeah you need washers for fender brackets. there's flat washers, lock washers & star washers. diff. inside & outside diameters. one time I had to cut a flat washer so it would have a flat edge so I could tuck in down closer to the bracket. so fun

this fender bracket comes with screws with two washers pre-attached!

the underside of a bolt head may be wide enough & able to hold a bracket in place w/o a washer, but a washer, or two add security so there is no movement over rough terrain. even a lock washer the same diameter as the bolt head provides some benefit

the washers also allow you tighten the nut or bolt without rotating the bracket, which can be mildly annoying ...

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-02-19 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-02-19, 10:10 AM
bobin

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rockin thanks for the info folks