Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pre ride breakfast

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pre ride breakfast

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 07:43 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Basic standbye is a bowl of oatmeal, throw in some microwave-thawed frozen berries, a few craisins, and about a teaspoon or so of maple syrup. Glass of grapefruit juice. If really long ride, I'll fry an egg and put on a piece of wheat toast also.
Coffee is key to get the bowels to clear before heading out.

i do do this same foods. Eggs if not a hurry but usually oatmeal with frozen fruit. I use natural honey though instead of syrup.

Have eve to have coffee too. The reasons are already stated and it works. Such a perfect beverage!
Old 08-29-18, 11:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18385 Post(s)
Liked 4,516 Times in 3,356 Posts
Pizza is good any time of the day.

How long of a ride? 20 miles? 50 miles? 100 miles? 150 miles? 200 miles?

The longer the ride, the more pre-nutrition you will need. Plus something to eat during the ride.

I'm not sure there is a perfect meal, but try to get in some carbs, veggies, protein, maybe fat, plus some salts and minerals.
Old 08-30-18, 02:22 PM
Townie7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Greek yogurt with cut up fruit always works for me.
Old 08-31-18, 11:04 AM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About an hour before a long ride, my ideal meal would be a smoothie consisting of 8 bananas, 2 cups of fruit (usually blueberries, strawberries, pineapple or mango) and a half cup of evaporated cane sugar; blend with water, no milk. High carb, low fat for the win. Give me fruit juice or date fruit while I'm riding, last forever.
Old 08-31-18, 11:08 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
I only eat once a day, usually at night, and I haven't bonked yet going up to 50 miles. Water only.
Old 08-31-18, 05:00 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
white rice+scrambled eggs seems to be the new hot thing for breakfast among pros. Low fiber, quick digestion, good ratio of carbs/protein/fat. Throw in some avocado or a bit of ham if you need something a bit more filling, and liquid aminos or soy sauce for seasoning and electrolytes(salt)
Old 09-01-18, 05:28 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
I only eat once a day, usually at night, and I haven't bonked yet going up to 50 miles. Water only.
that’s just weird. Give me second breakfast every day.
Old 09-01-18, 05:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The important part of that would be to know what intensity his rides are when fasted. At my typical pace, it’s 75-90 minutes max if I haven’t eaten before the ride.
Old 09-02-18, 06:58 PM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Saturday morning, got my coffee a toasted blueberry bagel with peanut butter and a banana. Did a 25 mile ride, had a protein bar on a snack stop and one gu on the way in. Had a hill to climb and wanted all the boost I could get. I feel like I did well. Have a 46ish mile ride in the morning. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 09-02-18, 07:45 PM
cnicholls

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long is your ride for? Personally, I would never have gu's. They spike your insulin and create an uneven energy curve in your body that leads to crashing or feeling rubbish post ride.

When I personally ride for close to 90 miles / 140 kms I'll have a big carb meal the night prior and don't eat breakfast. Although I do have a handful of raw nuts so the black coffee doesn't make me peak! Then I will have bananas and/or good quality bar's once every hour during the ride. That will sustain you plenty. A protein shake is best following a ride. The body takes longer to break protein down, so having that pre-ride may actually be having an adverse effect.
Old 09-02-18, 09:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I recently watched that series. It's entertaining and somewhat informative, but it doesn't give that many usable nutrition tips. I think something like GCN's Oat Cuisine series is easier to follow. I eat an adapted version of the Banoffee Pie recipe before long rides, and it works really well. And I don't even like oats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nWsV0Be-vI
i found the series informative and inspirational.

GCN’s series is very good as well.

For specific nutrition advice I rely on my dietitian
Old 09-03-18, 04:28 AM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cnicholls
How long is your ride for? Personally, I would never have gu's. They spike your insulin and create an uneven energy curve in your body that leads to crashing or feeling rubbish post ride.

When I personally ride for close to 90 miles / 140 kms I'll have a big carb meal the night prior and don't eat breakfast. Although I do have a handful of raw nuts so the black coffee doesn't make me peak! Then I will have bananas and/or good quality bar's once every hour during the ride. That will sustain you plenty. A protein shake is best following a ride. The body takes longer to break protein down, so having that pre-ride may actually be having an adverse effect.
I may try this ride without the gu, I have noticed after my rides that I do feel pretty yucky. I've got a couple of fruit and nut bars as snacks and electrolyte water. May have another banana at the store stop. We'll see. Oh and I've not been doing protein shakes pre ride for the last several rides.
Old 09-17-18, 01:53 PM
topshopper19

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me.

But for me (i am no expert btw), getting some complex carbohydrates is important. I tend to have porridge or bran cereals with milk.

I also take fruits and water with my so that I dont run out of steam.

Bottom line is everyone is different. I personally dont think there are any set rules. Just listen to your body.

Cheers
Old 09-17-18, 02:27 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What to eat.

Originally Posted by Weakbikr
On saturdays I get to do longer rides. I'm curious as to what I should eat to give myself some good energy for the ride. I usually eat a couple eggs and a bagel and possibly a protein drink just before I leave. Does this sound like a good start. We usually stop about every 45 minutes for a snack or a gu.
I'm a senior. I find that a half banana provides energy until break about 3 hours. It digests fast initially and lasts because its semi solid. Put the other half in ziploc and pouch it for break. Eat all your carbs and protein.