Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Through-Axle Thread Wear/Cross-Threading: A Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 12:50 PM
Billy Bones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

[Yes, I searched]

My TREK SuperFly 9.7 has through-axles front and rear and I transport it in a pickup rack with the front wheel removed and the axle screwed through the rack mount.This incurs lots of screw/unscrew cycles into a damned expensive front suspension.

If I bugger the threads by wear or by cross-threading, is my only remedy a replacement front suspension?

Mind, I haven’t done it yet, but it’s a concern.

[Related, does buggering the thread on the rear axle require trashing the whole frame?]
Old 04-17-17, 01:37 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Best preventive thing you can do is to keep the threads clean and greased to minimize wear, and engage the threads carefully. I am fairly certain that if threads get damaged they can be renewed by insertion of threaded inserts (e.g. Helicoils) . But I would not put it past manufacturers to use a non-standard thread or proprietary locking system which might make this difficult.
Old 04-17-17, 01:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5840 Post(s)
Liked 2,673 Times in 1,488 Posts
Systems vary (what doesn't these days), but through axles are kinda sorta like traditional QRs except that the skewer is not the axle itself. But it's still the same, a shaft separate from the fork or hub that joins them together.

So, if you damage the thru- axle, that's generally all you'll need to replace. (except that they do cost much more than the old QRs did.

All this grief because BITD when disc brakes first came out, nobody thought about the reaction torque, and didn't have the sense to put the caliper forward of the fork.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-17-17, 02:26 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
It depends a little on the through axle system. On my Fox 36 fork, the axle is also held by two QR clamps, so even if the threads were totally wrecked you'd be fine.
Theoretically, you are right that buggering the threads could damage the fork. Although the axle is usually soft aluminum, so the most likely thing to damage is just the axle part.

As for the frame, on most carbon frames, the rear TA is part of the rear derailleur hanger and is replaceable. There's an exploded diagram on Trek's page of the rear frame mount, it's easily replacable.
Old 04-17-17, 04:06 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Simple solution: Be careful to start the threads properly each time and the problem will never occur. There is no rule that says you have to cross thread them.
Old 04-17-17, 04:18 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Best preventive thing you can do is to keep the threads clean and greased to minimize wear, and engage the threads carefully. I am fairly certain that if threads get damaged they can be renewed by insertion of threaded inserts (e.g. Helicoils) . But I would not put it past manufacturers to use a non-standard thread or proprietary locking system which might make this difficult.
Or use equipment where the reciever threads are user-replaceable.

Shimano's E-Thru axle system allows that....although being Shimano and under licensing probably no one uses it on production frames. Paragon Machineworks makes slider plates with it at least.
Old 04-18-17, 04:05 AM
Billy Bones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, folks. Appreciate the information and advice.