Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

$12,000 dollar bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

$12,000 dollar bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 06:36 AM
KTU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$12,000 dollar bikes

Just want to throw this out there - I'm still amazed by how silly it is bikes to cost this much. No matter what the material or components, i feel a high end road bike should not exceed $3000. A 09' Suzuki gsxr 600(sportbike) cost $10K, and it has ecu systems, engine, hundreds of mechanical parts etc. So why should a two wheels and a frame cost more than the motorcycle? Clearly the Suzuki has tons more engineering involved to build. I guess the bicycle companies charge big $$ because they can, not because its actually worth it.
Old 04-30-09, 06:41 AM
APKjuniorFL
Ultra Member

Bikes: Trek 2.1, Trek 7.3fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's debatable, and certainly much more engineering goes into bicycles than most (possibly yourself) realize (i.e. wind tunnel testing, strength testing, materials design, etc). I don't think I would truly be able to notice the subtle differences between a $6k and $12k bike, but if you have the money to support the cycling economy, heck, go for it.
Old 04-30-09, 06:42 AM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KTU
Just want to throw this out there ...
Old 04-30-09, 06:43 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you design a motorcycle you don't count grams.

But yes, it is silly.
Old 04-30-09, 06:49 AM
dewaday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KTU
i feel a high end road bike should not exceed $3000.
So what should be the high end limit on commercial goods? A comprehensive list would help.
Old 04-30-09, 06:50 AM
varian72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your motorbike is a poor example, I think. They sell a hell of a lot more of the parts that go into that motorbike across lots of manufactures and applications(not only motorbikes use those parts) which keep costs way down.

A 12K bike uses parts that have relatively low production runs (mostly the frame and wheels, really) with high end manufacturing processes and only one application: Bikes.

That...and people pay those prices. Your disgust has no effect on the laws of demand.
Old 04-30-09, 06:53 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by KTU
i feel a high end road bike should not exceed $3000.
And I feel a 4-bedroom, 2.5 bath duplex with off-street parking and a doorman/concierge in the Upper West Side of Manhattan should not exceed $100,000.

Now we've both demonstrated that we're idiots.
Old 04-30-09, 07:00 AM
MIN 
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KTU
Just want to throw this out there - I'm still amazed by how silly it is bikes to cost this much. No matter what the material or components, i feel a high end road bike should not exceed $3000. A 09' Suzuki gsxr 600(sportbike) cost $10K, and it has ecu systems, engine, hundreds of mechanical parts etc. So why should a two wheels and a frame cost more than the motorcycle? Clearly the Suzuki has tons more engineering involved to build. I guess the bicycle companies charge big $$ because they can, not because its actually worth it.
Motorcycle R&D is bigger but they sell more units to offset and the research is subsidized by race teams which trickles down to the lower models.

Hi end bikes are subsidized by Freds like you and me.
Old 04-30-09, 07:06 AM
K-S2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose this question must just be generic to all hobbies with a low barrier to entry and a wealthy group willing to pay for that last .01% of performance. Either way it seems to pop up all over bike forums and often.

Tri Bikes: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=530857

Jesus, people even complain about why popcorn costs so much! https://www.physorg.com/news122917253.html

Personally, I spend a fair amount of my income on bikes and bike-related purchases. Will a Zipp wheel or Felt bike make me as fast as Dave Zabriskie? Hell no. Will it make me feel a little more like a pro? Maybe. Either way, you generally do get an increase in quality the more you spend (although you are a victim of law of diminishing returns). If you didn't have high-end bike purchasers, you probably wouldn't have good & cost-effective mid-level bikes.

Most of these threads have the same conclusive point, and I hope we can nip it in the bud: Do what you want to do, spend what you want to spend, and don't belittle other people for doing it.
Old 04-30-09, 07:12 AM
Jive Turkey
Shuckin' and Jivin'

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K-S2
Do what you want to do, spend what you want to spend, and don't belittle other people for doing it.
Don't be so sensitive.

He's not belittling anyone.
Old 04-30-09, 07:12 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KTU
Just want to throw up there - aldkjfad l;akdf s;ladkfjie dkfaskldji jli lsdkdflk lasdkfjdsfj als;dkfj d adlfdkfjkadlfk jldskffj addfdk l;asdkfj ldsfjadl lkj dsldkj afke lk;dsjf aslkdfjfdlk l;dskjf al;kdfj lkdf al leiojacv; aldkjfad l;akdf s;ladkfjie dkfaskldji jli lsdkdflk lasdkfjdsfj als;dkfj d adlfdkfjkadlfk jldskffj addfdk l;asdkfj ldsfjadl lkj dsldkj afke lk;dsjf aslkdfjfdlk l;dskjf al;kdfj lkdf al leiojacv; aldkjfad l;akdf s;ladkfjie dkfaskldji jli lsdkdflk lasdkfjdsfj als;dkfj d adlfdkfjkadlfk jldskffj addfdk l;asdkfj ldsfjadl lkj dsldkj afke lk;dsjf aslkdfjfdlk l;dskjf al;kdfj lkdf al leiojacv; aldkjfad l;akdf s;ladkfjie dkfaskldji jli lsdkdflk lasdkfjdsfj als;dkfj d adlfdkfjkadlfk jldskffj addfdk l;asdkfj ldsfjadl lkj dsldkj afke lk;dsjf aslkdfjfdlk l;dskjf al;kdfj lkdf al leiojacv; .
fixed.
Old 04-30-09, 07:18 AM
mooxster
Monkey in Training

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So do you think I spent too much money on my chefs knife also? I mean, I can go to Walmart and buy a set for 35$ so should I have done that instead of spending 350$ on one chefs knife?

Please tell us what items SHOULD cost in your estimation so we can go about our daily lives spending the correct amount of money.
Old 04-30-09, 07:19 AM
K-S2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the wrong word - belittle - but calling people's purchasing actions silly comes off that way to me. I did type that in a bit of a huff, but it seems like I see this question on this board every couple weeks or so.
Old 04-30-09, 07:19 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
"i feel a high end road bike should not exceed $3000"

That would be nice but a high end groupset (SRAM Red, Dura Ace. Record) is $2000-2500 alone. Then you still have to go buy your "two wheels and a frame.'
Old 04-30-09, 07:30 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 140 Posts
How often is there a practical rationale for luxury items - cars that go 190, $200 sunglasses, $500 purses, $6000 stainless steel watches, 5000+ sq.ft. houses etc? It's all for ego gratification.
Old 04-30-09, 07:35 AM
Jive Turkey
Shuckin' and Jivin'

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MongoosePaver
At what price point does a road bike start to become just a status symbol rather than to simply help one's performance in a race, provided the rider is a pro like Hincapie. 5k maybe?
Agree.

People got upset b/c he questioned the cost and got all sensitive but others made good points about the amount of aero testsing done to these bikes that maybe will make the original poster think twice about his previously held notions about over-priced bikes.
Old 04-30-09, 07:37 AM
celerystalksme
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
How often is there a practical rationale for luxury items - cars that go 190, $200 sunglasses, $500 purses, $6000 stainless steel watches, 5000+ sq.ft. houses etc? It's all for ego gratification.
bingo

but whatever...i buy some luxury items that make ZERO sense. among my luxury purchases are my bikes.
Old 04-30-09, 07:40 AM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy what you want. Spend what you want. It's your money to spend. You earned it (hopefully), and have the right to dispose of it as you want. It's none of my business how much you spend on what.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 04-30-09, 07:42 AM
KTU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never said purchasing a $12k bike was silly, please read carefully people. I said A$12k bicycle was silly. No matter how many they sell or what ever, the fact still remains a frame and wheels shouldn't cost more than a motorcycle.
Old 04-30-09, 07:44 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, but the panty bunching value is inestimable!
Old 04-30-09, 07:46 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 04-30-09, 07:46 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
WTF??? No it's not. People buy what they want and can afford. If I can afford a nice house with space for everything I like (separate bedrooms for the family, spare guest room, office, hobby room, den, garage for all the vehicles and bikes, etc.), why would I live in a 2 bedroom $100,000 house. Ego has nothing to do with it.
Old 04-30-09, 07:47 AM
K-S2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KTU
I never said purchasing a $12k bike was silly, please read carefully people. I said A$12k bicycle was silly. No matter how many they sell or what ever, the fact still remains a frame and wheels shouldn't cost more than a motorcycle.
That's kind of a cart-before-the-horse situation, though, isn't it? If the bike exists at that price, SOMEBODY's buying it. Regardless, my earlier post does come off a bit huffy, which wasn't my intention, and for that I apologize.

Either way, I just flat-out disagree with you.
Old 04-30-09, 07:47 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MongoosePaver
At what price point does a road bike start to become just a status symbol rather than to simply help one's performance in a race, provided the rider is a pro like Hincapie. 5k maybe?
I don't know about anyone else, but I do now my situation...

I own a Specialized 07 Roubaix and an 08 Tarmac, both Experts...

If I could I'd be riding the 09 Roubaix SL2, why?? Not because of status, but because the frame fits me to a tee and the ride quality would get me the quality that I dream of...Performance of a Tarmac and comfort of a Roubaix...

This move would not be done for status....It would be done because for the actual performance of the bike! And yes I notice the night and day difference between the Roubaix and Tarmac...

Some of us do this because we love the sport and want to get the most out of it that we can...
Old 04-30-09, 07:49 AM
The Smokester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I consider some of this expensive stuff to be works of art and sometimes buy them in this spirit. (Don't have a $12k bike, though.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.