Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The Jackass Thread lives! ►PLEASE READ 1ST POST◄

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

The Jackass Thread lives! ►PLEASE READ 1ST POST◄

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 10:47 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

Old 01-16-19, 05:16 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow... it's as if he tried to fit every bike accessory ever made onto that thing.
Old 01-16-19, 07:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
It's pretty sad when you spend more on accessories than you do on the bike. At least they coordinate all their crap to match.
Old 01-17-19, 12:49 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Those two vertical red cylinders at the back of the rear rack: smoke grenades?
Old 01-17-19, 01:09 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
Those two vertical red cylinders at the back of the rear rack: smoke grenades?
Afterburners

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-17-19, 08:35 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
I refuse to believe this a bike someone purpose built for riding, because it screams “let’s see how many accessories we can add” sponsored project. Nothing about the setup makes any practical sense, and the amount of batteries for all those accessory lights will weigh a ton. If this were actually someone’s bike, it would be a radio and speaker set short of the king of jackass bikes. But I don’t believe anyone actually rides this.

Last edited by seamuis; 01-17-19 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-17-19, 08:41 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
All I can think of when I see that stack of computers is "a man with two watches never knows what time it is."
Old 01-17-19, 10:05 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Originally Posted by seamuis
I refuse to believe this a bike someone purpose built for riding, because it screams “let’s see how many accessories we can add” sponsored project. Nothing about the setup makes any practical sense, and the amount of batteries for all those accessory lights will weigh a ton. If this were actually someone’s bike, it would be a radio and speaker set short of the king of jackass bikes. But I don’t believe anyone actually rides this.
IDK either but hey it's on ebay
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Giant-Herren...UAAOSwgJ1bVMtX
Old 01-17-19, 10:44 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
the description on the eBay page says it has Bluetooth speakers, so I guess I stand corrected on that. But it describes the bike as a “pure touring bike”. And it specifically lists the three computers as for ‘better view of the relevent data’. It also inaccurately represents the total lumen output of the light setup. Doesn’t look like it’s ever been ridden either. Yea I guess this is pretty damn jackass. I’d bet it weights over 20kg.
Old 01-18-19, 11:09 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What are the blue lights on the bottom front?
Old 01-20-19, 02:59 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyLC
What are the blue lights on the bottom front?
From their form-factor, trail lights that are rated at least 2000 lumen with protective caps on

Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-21-19, 02:39 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
It should be able to ride itself
Old 01-22-19, 11:48 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
It should be able to ride itself
That is coming next.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/21/uber-...cles-scooters/
Old 01-22-19, 02:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It's easy to be negative. I think it is cool.

Note that I didn't say I would own it or that I would like to ride it across Mongolia.

It's pretty sad when you spend more on accessories than you do on the bike. At least they coordinate all their crap to match.
It makes more sense than building a trekking bike using an overpriced, botique bike with an cleverly unpronounceable name.

That thing is actually exactly what you want when out in the middle of nowhere. Parts are readily available at almost any LBS. If the frame breaks on the way to Mt. Kilamanjaro then replace it with some other crappy aluminum frame available locally and be on your way.

Perhaps a $3000 frame only Chumba Terlingua? Throw in a Lauf Grit fork for who knows how much more money. No worries if your Enve's break - Amazon prime can overnight carbon wheels to Uzbekistan.

That Giant is the F150 of Trekking bikes. Beat the crap out of it, throw it in the garbage when done and beat the crap out of the next frame.

-Tim-
Old 01-22-19, 04:36 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by timothyh
it's easy to be negative. I think it is cool.

Note that i didn't say i would own it or that i would like to ride it across mongolia.

It makes more sense than building a trekking bike using an overpriced, botique bike with an cleverly unpronounceable name.

That thing is actually exactly what you want when out in the middle of nowhere. Parts are readily available at almost any lbs. If the frame breaks on the way to mt. Kilamanjaro then replace it with some other crappy aluminum frame available locally and be on your way.

Perhaps a $3000 frame only chumba terlingua? Throw in a lauf grit fork for who knows how much more money. No worries if your enve's break - amazon prime can overnight carbon wheels to uzbekistan.

That giant is the f150 of trekking bikes. Beat the crap out of it, throw it in the garbage when done and beat the crap out of the next frame.

-tim-
lol
Old 01-22-19, 09:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by TimothyH
It's easy to be negative. I think it is cool.

Note that I didn't say I would own it or that I would like to ride it across Mongolia.

That thing is actually exactly what you want when out in the middle of nowhere. Parts are readily available at almost any LBS. If the frame breaks on the way to Mt. Kilamanjaro then replace it with some other crappy aluminum frame available locally and be on your way.

Perhaps a $3000 frame only Chumba Terlingua? Throw in a Lauf Grit fork for who knows how much more money. No worries if your Enve's break - Amazon prime can overnight carbon wheels to Uzbekistan.

That Giant is the F150 of Trekking bikes. Beat the crap out of it, throw it in the garbage when done and beat the crap out of the next frame.

-Tim-
The problem is an F150 uses generally reliable durable parts, that Giant doesn't so much. It uses cheap parts but the quality is low. Yes you can probably find cheap parts most anywhere I would rather have parts I know are going to be reliable in the first place.

Sure carbon and fancy stuff like that isn't maybe as reliable but I am talking less about that. Give me a bike spec'd with Deore or 105 the quality workhorse gruppos something that is reasonably priced but reliable. Give me a decent chromoly steel frame and remove suspension that can easily go bad (especially the cheaper stuff) and give me space for some wider wheels and boom, you have the makings of a good touring bike like an F-150. Steel I can repair in Uzbekistan possibly, aluminum or ti or carbon, probably not.

Having seen a lot of similar Giants even ones of slightly higher quality, I can say I wouldn't want a Giant with me on an adventure. I certainly wouldn't want to spend way more than the bike is worth in accessories. They have a long way to go before they have a bike that I wouldn't want underneath me in Mt. Kil. or really anywhere. There are tons of non-boutique bikes that I would consider reasonable for touring, Fuji Touring, Jamis Aurora, Surly LHT, Older Trek 520s (pre aluminum fork), Dawes Galaxy Cromo, Novara Randonee(though they are Co-Op now not sure if they make the same model) and others I haven't mentioned. Plus there are tons of old steel MTBs that would make good touring bike candidates or some nice cheap frames like the New Albion Privateer (which I built into a hybrid that could be toured on quite easily)
Old 01-23-19, 10:23 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The problem is an F150 uses generally reliable durable parts, that Giant doesn't so much. It uses cheap parts but the quality is low. Yes you can probably find cheap parts most anywhere I would rather have parts I know are going to be reliable in the first place.
This is a valid point. Something to consider.

I still don't think the bike is jackass. I think it is pretty cool. Whomever built it might have chosen a better platform but the level of attention to detail blows my mind. I say this a detail oriented, anally retentive analytical spreadsheet guy. All the redundancy makes me happy.

I do wonder how anyone would see over that GPS sticking up. Like the people who have GPS in the winshield of their cars blocking their vision and shining into their eyes at night or a giant mass of stuff hanging from the rear view mirror. Aren't they concerned about seeing traffic in front of them?

-Tim-
Old 01-23-19, 09:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

This is a valid point. Something to consider.

I still don't think the bike is jackass. I think it is pretty cool. Whomever built it might have chosen a better platform but the level of attention to detail blows my mind. I say this a detail oriented, anally retentive analytical spreadsheet guy. All the redundancy makes me happy.

I do wonder how anyone would see over that GPS sticking up. Like the people who have GPS in the winshield of their cars blocking their vision and shining into their eyes at night or a giant mass of stuff hanging from the rear view mirror. Aren't they concerned about seeing traffic in front of them?

-Tim-
It is a detail orientated and maybe not total jackass but certainly too oddball and crazy for normal usage. I doubt the thing got ridden much if at all with all that crap on it. I wouldn't ride that thing anywhere I would have to lock it up, it would take an hour to remove everything and another hour to put it back on.
Old 01-24-19, 12:35 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I'm with you, Vegan.

For world travel, a decent steel frame is where it's at. Not a boutique bike, but not a dept. store bike either. I like the Surly LHT and the Salsa Marrakesh. I would add a few sensible accessories, but never the overdone collection of clutter pictured above, which seems to be just an exercise in gross excess. About 1/3 of the stuff that guy has is all you need. The rest only detracts from the experience.

I bet I could put together something for about the same money with a higher quality frame, and it would be capable of crossing Mongolia... and bonus: it would never appear in the JA thread.
Old 01-24-19, 02:00 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Perhaps one of the other screens displays a forward-facing camera image?
Old 01-24-19, 07:28 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
This thread is getting soft.
7 forward lights, 5 computers, 3 locks = J.A.
Old 01-24-19, 08:29 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
This thread is getting soft.
7 forward lights, 5 computers, 3 locks = J.A.
Can't find the third lock. Losing mind.
...is it that thing in front of the seat stays, opposite the rear brake? What is that thing?

The red things on the back are clearly Shark Repellent Bat Spray.

...so. many. things.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 01-25-19, 12:05 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Can't find the third lock. Losing mind.
...is it that thing in front of the seat stays, opposite the rear brake? What is that thing?
Yep. It is mounted to the stays and a curved bolt locks through the wheel. Works not bad in conjunction with a cable as well as otherwise one can lift the bike and walk away.
Old 01-25-19, 01:49 AM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Is that a drum brake plus a v-brake in the front?
Old 01-25-19, 02:02 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots
Is that a drum brake plus a v-brake in the front?
I think it's a dynamo hub.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.