Old 04-23-20, 09:08 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
The streets are empty

Since the "lock-down" I've been sticking to just a couple of routes, one on the road and the other the SGRT. I can ride in the bike lane down Ball road for 14 miles and pass maybe, 1 other rider. I might see 1 or 2 riding in the other direction and that's it. Also as a note, since there appears to be fewer people driving there is a lot less trash and glass in the bike lane. Then yesterday I rode down the SGRT to PCH and I must have passed 50 people in that 6 mile stretch. Once I got on PCH to Bolsa Chica I saw maybe a total of 20 people. It's funny because it almost seems safer to ride on the street than the Bike Paths.
Old 04-23-20, 10:13 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
It's like riding early on a Sunday morning. La Habra Heights is really a hidden gem because there are no commercial zones. Less truck traffic and the locals are out walking instead of driving to work.
Old 04-23-20, 12:54 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Yes and no.

Traffic for the most part, is much lighter, but roads that lead to hiking trail heads are busier than before. ACH is very busy and so is the 39. GMR is closed to cars, but many cars parked before the gates.

With gyms closed and more people home, many are discovering outdoor jogging. Many are running in the street, which is perfect for social distancing, but annoying for cyclists. Thankfully the reduced traffic helps. I tend to run in the streets anyways, even pre-COVID, but these newbies are everywhere.
Old 04-23-20, 01:03 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Many are running in the street, which is perfect for social distancing, but annoying for cyclists.
Dude.
I tend to run in the streets anyways, even pre-COVID,
Anyway, my observation is that there are fewer cars but the ones left are driving at much higher speeds, so be careful out there.
Old 04-23-20, 05:25 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Anyway, my observation is that there are fewer cars but the ones left are driving at much higher speeds, so be careful out there.
I have noticed a lot more cars running red lights. I've seen several go through lights that had been red for at least 2 seconds.
Old 04-23-20, 05:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I've been riding 4-5 days per week all month, here to the east of NYC, so heavily populated suburbs. About 3-4 weeks ago I was absolutely noticing the lack of traffic. Many major intersections had no cross traffic and I was cutting lights regularly. People were also sleeping later and not getting out for their walks and runs till later - 11, 12'ish, as they realized (as I did) that they had nothing to do in the afternoon , so no rush. Sometimes I'd see many more people walking an running than cars on the street.

This week, not as much. Significant increase in traffic, seems folks have figured out that many stores are kind of open - wink, wink, so many more people are out and about and the traffic patterns reflect that.