Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Playing Around

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Playing Around

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 07:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Playing Around

I got to spend a few hours in the basement today, what with the rain there was no riding. Got a bunch done on my long term 650B MtB project which includes a unicrown fork, my first. Shown is the blades and drop outs after soaking. The drop outs are self milled. When I started to tack the second one I, thankfully, saw it was backwards! Melted the tack and reprepped it. Perhaps in my old age I am getting smarter if I find the mistakes before the work is done Also shown are parts for the soon to be completed blade mitering jig. That's a pair of Alex Meade's nice tube blocks on a cross plate and my home designed/made drop out clamp. The base plate is coming from MSC soon. Then I have to decide the frame's steering geometry before I cut and determine the rake. This will be completed next winter I hope.

Not shown was a pretty common chain stay silver brazing in a shell for my urban bike that replaces the screw up I did with the home made lugged frame of a year past. At least that step went well. Andy

Old 05-30-20, 07:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,691 Times in 2,514 Posts
Dropouts are interesting.
Old 05-30-20, 07:39 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Andy a question. How come the fork blades are not the same? I thought both would have a curve and be brazed to the the steerer.
Old 05-30-20, 08:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Back side of same scene. You can see my sharpie marks on the curved tops of the blades where I MIGHT be mitering. In time I will cut the tops to mat and tack then together before running the hole saw through, to better tie things together during the mitering. This project is a bit challenging for my experience and I discover new possibilities as I dwell and dabble.

Eric- I milled a slot and counter bore in some 1/4" bar for the drops. I wanted to use common QR skewers and thought that a lip would be good insurance (no other of my bikes have them...) Puls I have a mill so why not play The drops will get further cutting down and filing to look less angular.

A vareful eye will see that the drops are not perfectly centered WRT the blades. But this is a MtB, for me, thus will get little use and not be seen by many in the wild. Andy
Old 05-30-20, 08:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,691 Times in 2,514 Posts
I would never see such a thing

So you have a way to hold the blades at an angle in the mill?
Old 05-30-20, 09:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I would never see such a thing

So you have a way to hold the blades at an angle in the mill?
Yes, I think... Been working on it for a while, tossing various set ups about in the brain during riding and going to sleep. As I see it now the challenge will be the distance between the angle vise and the hole saw, the DRO strip I installed a couple of years ago will increase this as I hope to hang the mitering "jig" off the side of the mill table at the needed angle. Soon I'll see if this holds water as a set up. Andy
Old 05-31-20, 10:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

After some grinding, cutting and filing I have better looking drops. A mix of blocky and organic. Still some fine sanding needed but I'm happy with these. Andy

Old 06-08-20, 06:53 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Looking good! I built something similar a couple of years ago. 650b klunker with a fork that I wanted to look like a mid 70's Redline type. It was my first fork build, so those early wishbone style forks seemed like a pretty easy place to start. I cobbled together a jig to miter each tube seperately since they would both be symmetrical, and welded the dropouts on later in the process. I made a YouTube video of the fork build.

Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 06-08-20, 08:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

LM- Funny how what's a challenge for one is easy peasy for another. The first paint jobs I did were Imron and later over the years (after I learned that I wasn't a good painter) I read of how hard Imron was to work with. What did I know when i just got those paint jobs done...Andy