Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is seamed tubing tubing all that bad?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is seamed tubing tubing all that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 10:04 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
Mad Honk , it sounds like you're saying all tubes start as flat sheets welded together to form a tube. To obtain a "seamless" tube it simply needs more processing. Is this correct or an oversimplification?
Seamless bicycle tubing is manufactured from a very thick billet of solid steel. The billet is heated to a very high temperature, then pierced to become a thick walled hollow cylinder. It is then progressively hot rolled and cold drawn to reduce the diameter and wall thickness to the final dimensions. If required, it will go through butting operations prior to final sizing.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-28-20, 10:13 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Seamless bicycle tubing is manufactured from a very thick billet of solid steel. The billet is heated to a very high temperature, then pierced to become a thick walled hollow cylinder. It is then progressively hot rolled and cold drawn to reduce the diameter and wall thickness to the final dimensions. If required, it will go through butting operations prior to final sizing.
That would make more sense. I imagine the steel adjacent to the weld would have different properties than the rest of the tube.
Old 05-28-20, 10:35 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Thank you. Yes, they appear to be stamped dropouts, but are slightly more sculpted than the typical...

i have a falcon with similar dropouts except it has a derailleur hanger. When i got it it had a 26.6 seatpost in it. I have been under the impression it was probably straight guage reynolds. Who knows, it does ride beautifully.
Old 05-28-20, 10:42 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
i have a falcon with similar dropouts except it has a derailleur hanger. When i got it it had a 26.6 seatpost in it. I have been under the impression it was probably straight guage reynolds. Who knows, it does ride beautifully.
My other Falcon has 26.6mm seat post as well. It's shown in this thread...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ur-falcon.html
Old 05-28-20, 11:30 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
Thanks for posting the video Salamandrine . This is a good overview of steel tube making. It also includes some excellent videotography. Steel making with the flames, sparks and glowing bars is visually mesmerizing.

I stayed at a Best Western hotel in Anaheim, CA a few times. I usually got a room that overlooks the hammer mill where they shred cars, trucks and everything else steel. Maybe some lower end bikes too. It is a yard with piles of cast off cars and steel junk a big crane and this big convoluted steel encased tower with the hammer mill on top and a tilted gangplank that haul the unwanted vehicles upward to their demise.

It would not be considered pretty. Most guest would think that they got the worst view. Maybe ask the front desk for another room with a better view. For me, it was entertaining.

I also read the book American Steel about Nucor a few decades ago. For me, it was a good read. Really interesting. Maybe I should read it again.
Old 05-29-20, 06:13 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
My other Falcon has 26.6mm seat post as well. It's shown in this thread...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ur-falcon.html
That one sounds like it should be Reynolds 531PG, as it would have 0.9mm wall thickness.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-29-20, 09:31 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I just cut up my old Windsor frame. I cannot remember which model it was. Not the base International, but not too far up the line either. It had straight gauage tubing with a seam in it. I believe, but have no way of confirming that it was high tensile steel.

I was looking at a cross section of the down tube and wondering how bad is seamed tubing? Or how much better is seamless tubing?

Looking at the cross section, the seamed weld is clean and even. The whole point of welded tube is melt the steel on either side of the joint to turn it into one piece. I do acknowledge that there some subtle differences in the weld area, but how much. Would you really notice this difference if you were able to ride two bikes that were the same with the exception that one had seamless tubing and one did not?

You might notice that this cross section sample was taken from the damaged part of the tube. I filed it to clean up the burr, however, in doing so, I also filed a little bit of the seam.
Mannesmann made bike tubing for a while under the "Oria" label, which was welded tubing and there were no strength issues whatsoever. The presence of a weld seam in itself is not a sign of low quality, but other way around it works: no one puts the effort in to make seamless tubing from low grade material.

The stuff on your pictures was chosen for cost saving.

As for Hi Ten, that is not a quality label. Hi Ten, in the old world known as St37 before ISO kicked in, is at the absolute low end of the steel food chain. Rebar material.
Old 05-29-20, 06:32 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
T-Mar,and branko,
I would say that the current manufacturing of tubes, likely 98% is welded tubes. Cold drawing is expensive due to the more labor and heat intensive. And is only found in smoke-stack cities. I spent four years working for National Steel in Portage, IN , and the 2500* temperatures are no fun. After that I worked in the stack-able steel shelving bizniz and even the rail car floor building business. They were are fabrications of rolled or formed steel. My interactions with the folks at True Temper was that they created all tubes out of rolled an seamed tubes. In golf we use tubes that have to withstand the forces of impacts of 120 mph and they have wall thicknesses of about .015" in the tubes. They seem to handle the stress put on them reasonably well. The design engineers at TT have some folks who were also instrumental in the development of the tubes from Appollo in England. At this point most of tube manufacturing is being transferred off shore from Mississippi to China and Vietnam.
Unfortunately steel production is all being done in underdeveloped countries, for the most part. Space aged materials are going to be option going forward. I work on steel products only about 30% of the time as opposed to 70% space aged materials. I am not saying there were not a lot of C&V bikes that were made of cold drawn tubes but most newer tubed bikes likely have seamed tubing rolled into specifications. Again, Just my experience. Smiles, MH

Addendum: I checked and the last of the groups doing billet drawing was Apppollo and they closed in the early 1980's. So again I think any thing past that time was seamed and rolled. Smiles,MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 05-31-20 at 05:25 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-30-20, 02:58 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I remember reading about a "blind test" where racers were given identical frames and groupsets to ride. The riders could NOT tell the difference as to whether a bicycle was seamed tubing (i.e. Tange Infinity) or seamless tubing (i.e. Columbus SL) until the frames were weighed. Tee ride felt IDENTICAL with both types of tubing.

Cheers
Old 05-31-20, 12:49 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
And yet, hi ten steel has a huge following among the "cyclists" who frequent the C&V subforum.
You seem to have a lot of negative feelings toward the people of this forum.

Why are you here?
Old 05-31-20, 05:22 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
natterberry,
Covid 19 has me experiencing anti-social behavior, likely due to over doses of house arrest. I trust it will pass with some acceptance of re-integrating into society.HTH, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 05-31-20 at 05:26 PM.