Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

what makes a bike a "gravel" bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-19-20, 01:42 PM
wilson_smyth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

is "Gravel Bike" another category created by marketing, or a genuine thing?
I ask as I have what was sold as a commuter, its a cube sl road race 2020.
Its got a slightly relaxed geometry, shimano 105's 700 shifters, cassette, derailleur, deore hubs, shimano BR MT200 disk breaks all round, 40mm knobbly schwable tires.

On giving my mates "gravel" bike a go (a GT Grade Expert), the spec was almost identical. The geometry was almost identical, much certainly closer to my bike than a full on road bike. The ride felt similar.
Apart from my straight bar and his drop bar, a blindfold cycle test would struggle to tell them apart ( and probably result in injury!). His was also 500 quid more expensive and im not sure why.

But it raised a question, if his is a "gravel bike" and mine is a "commuter", is the bars the only real difference?
Is the definition too loose to allow a proper definition of "gravel bike", or commuter for that matter?
Old 08-19-20, 01:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Riding on gravel.
Old 08-19-20, 02:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Its a real thing and not just some category created by marketing, despite what some will inevitably claim.
Gravel riding was around before the explosion in popularity so it clearly isnt just a forced segment of cycling.

Gravel bikes are what many people should have been riding for years now, so as the trend was adopted, the industry took notice and started churning out products to support the trend. They would be stupid not to try and capitalize on it.
Drop bar bikes with wide tire clearance, quality components, and quality tires = the type of bike many people have wanted for years.

As for your bike- ride it wherever you want. Flat bar bikes can roll on dirt and gravel too.
Old 08-19-20, 02:21 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
The better question may be, 'why is my Cube commuter named SL road race 2020?'

Just ride the Sh*T out of what you got and don't worry about names, or what the Manufacturer markets it as. Wanna ride gravel? Go for it. Wanna commute? Have at it. Want to enter a race with it? UCI will probably not allow it, haha
Old 08-19-20, 02:30 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Gravel bikes are what many people should have been riding for years now, so as the trend was adopted, the industry took notice and started churning out products to support the trend. They would be stupid not to try and capitalize on it.
Drop bar bikes with wide tire clearance, quality components, and quality tires = the type of bike many people have wanted for years.
So it's a "hybrid" bike with drop bars? I don't know about anyone else, but I see the "gravel" name and I stay away. "Gravel" to me means loose gravel and that's about the last thing I want to ride on.
Old 08-19-20, 02:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

A lot of people probably do want a drop-bar "road" bike with wide tires---comfort and adaptability. A lot of others don't.

if you do ... get one, I guess. Oh, wait ... . you sort of did. (https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/bikes/ro...umngreen-2020/) (Oh and your friend's: https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/grade-expert) Looks like you have better brakes, his wheels are probably a little lighter and just as strong. Drop bar shifters cost a lot more than flat-bar shifter. And he got a "GT," which is a more sought-after marque than a "Cube." So ... he paid a bit more for his down-tube decal.

Flat bar, but otherwise the same thing everyone would call a "gravel" bike. I'd guess that is the deciding factor for the PR team which picked the category ... flat bars are for "commuters" (greater comfort, more upright to see better in traffic) while drop bars are for "gravel riders" (no traffic to consider, and maybe longer rides.)

Remember back in the day, when you either had a bike or didn't? if you had a bike, you rode your bike. My love of MTB riding began on a 3-speed Sturmey-Archer-equipped Robin Hood when I was about nine .... if only I had known that it was the "wrong" bike.

So .... Don't tell people what kind of bike you have. if they ask if it is a "gravel" bike, tell them it is an aluminum bike--who would make a bike out of gravel? If they ask if it is a "commuter," tell them no, but you are sometimes. Wherever you ride, say, "I hope I can keep up, but I have the wrong type bike for this ride." Then if you don't get dropped, you can act all proud.

Have some fun with your bike. It's allowed.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-19-20, 03:00 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
In some ways I think it is kind of an evolution of a cross bike for riding flatter terrain; more laid back, lower bottom bracket, more comfortable. And, wider tires to soak up the bumps and give enough traction.

A little like a comparison between a crit bike and touring road bike.

John
Old 08-19-20, 03:03 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its a real thing and not just some category created by marketing, despite what some will inevitably claim.
Gravel riding was around before the explosion in popularity so it clearly isnt just a forced segment of cycling.

As for your bike- ride it wherever you want. Flat bar bikes can roll on dirt and gravel too.
This is mostly correct, but I would add that cyclocross bikes are already equipped for gravel riding and have been around for years. The main difference between CX and gravel bikes seems to be the geometry: CX bikes are designed for riding for 1-1.5 hours at a time and include some compromises of comfort, while gravel bikes are designed to be ridden for much longer and prioritize comfort. Hence, most CX bikes have a more aggressive geometry, and most gravel bikes share the hybrid bikes' prioritization of rider comfort.

IME, it seems there is a spectrum of bikes from full-suspension MTB to road racing bikes, where CX and gravel bikes exist somewhere in between the two endpoints. If you ask the GCN boys, they recently pointed out that gravel bikes are essentially the same as the suspension-free mountain bikes from a couple decades ago, but with drop bars added.

Oddly enough, touring bikes share a lot of features that gravel bikes have, so maybe the gravel bike is just a new spin on some pre-existing products.
Old 08-19-20, 03:04 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Can you get a foot-long decal that says "GRAVEL" and stick it on your bike? As close as your bike is to your buddy's, that's probably the biggest difference.
Old 08-19-20, 03:19 PM
wilson_smyth

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts
Thanks for the replies all.
I think i gave the wrong impression that i wished i had a gravel bike, which is not at all the case. I love the bike i have, its perfect for what i use it for that if i got it custom built it wouldnt be massively different!
I got it because depending on my mood, my cycle to work can be along a canal path that wouldnt warrant a mountain bike, but defo wouldnt be fun with 23mm tires like on my previous (stolen) bike. I got it because it felt like it could handle that terrain, and also be nippy enough around traffic.

I was just curious regarding the categories, seeing as there is so much overlap.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Remember back in the day, when you either had a bike or didn't? if you had a bike, you rode your bike. My love of MTB riding began on a 3-speed Sturmey-Archer-equipped Robin Hood when I was about nine .... if only I had known that it was the "wrong" bike.
My first bike was a little red folding bike with white tires with "dolly" written down the bar! As we got older, we all had what we called "Mountain bikes" by raleigh that weighted a ton and had little to do with anything about what people now know a mountain bike to be! If only i knew they were the wrong bikes i could have saved so much time wasted on fun and adventures!
Old 08-19-20, 03:34 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Can you get a foot-long decal that says "GRAVEL" and stick it on your bike? As close as your bike is to your buddy's, that's probably the biggest difference.
While not a foot-long....https://pathlesspedaled.bigcartel.co...c-black-3-pack
Old 08-19-20, 04:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
"Gravel bike " is a very clever marketing strategy. The only thing that the manufacturer has to do is increase tire clearance and tweak the geometry a little bit and then call it a "gravel bike".

The way I look at it is this:

- road bike = Ferrari
- MTB = Jeep
- Gravel bike = AWD Subaru

IOW a gravel bike is a cross over, jack of all trades do it all kind of a bike. It handles good on pavement and can still go off road and have fun on some mild singletrack.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-19-20, 04:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
You Run out of Paved road , riding your bike..

Probably quieter, cars took over the highways. you're on a farm road.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-19-20, 04:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
So it's a "hybrid" bike with drop bars? I don't know about anyone else, but I see the "gravel" name and I stay away. "Gravel" to me means loose gravel and that's about the last thing I want to ride on.
Sure, call it a hybrid with drop bars. It's a double hybrid then, since a hybrid was a mix of road bike and mountain bike.
Gravel bikes vary so significantly and are so wide ranging that they can be similar to a modern mountain bike and similar to a road bike. Calling them a hybrid is accurate and inaccurate, depending on which model is discussed.

As for staying away from gravel, that term is as wide ranging as gravel bike design. There are over 70,000mi of gravel roads in my state and almost all are very low traveled. They are just roads that aren't paved.
Old 08-19-20, 04:54 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Gravel bikes put a smile on your face.
Old 08-19-20, 05:07 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Unlike most of my road bikes, they accept fat tires.

I do have a couple really old road bikes, 700c conversions, that can accept some fat tires for gravel.

It would be a nice addition to have disc brakes and fenders for gravel, at least where I live.
Old 08-19-20, 05:10 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
A gravel bike is a bike with a frame made out of gravel.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 08-19-20, 05:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
most hybrids didn't really come with big enough tires. I guess you can get a bigger tire on most of them though. You get used to the lack of traction. That's one of many reasons why people want bigger tires on their gravel bikes.
Old 08-19-20, 05:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I think the popularity of riding on mixed surfaces grew first, then the industry came along with bikes targeted for that usage when they realized there was money to be made. If you separate the technology and designs from the marketing, you'll find some innovation and a whole lot of combining things we've already had. The back story of the 650 A/B/C wheel size tells you the idea of mixed usage bikes is not new at all.

Having gravel and cross and touring and endurance and all-road and commuter and race market segments means we have more choices. I don't necessarily fit any of them, but my chances of finding a bike and/or components to fit my desires is better than ever.
Old 08-19-20, 05:31 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
I have a nice bike that I have ridden on pavement, gravel, grass, etc. It was built in 1992, by Bruce Gordon.
Old 08-19-20, 05:42 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Over the years, my level of participation in cycling, in general, has waxed and waned. When it's nice weather I ride more than when it's not. With exception reading stuff from the folks at Rivendell Cycles, an occasional glance through a Bicycling mag in some waiting room or pouring over a bicycle parts catalog (none of which had been done for a while), exposure to "new trends" in the bicycle world were absent until finding this forum. Even then, a full time job kept me from wasting (I mean spending &#128521 too much time coming up to speed. Semi retirement and COVID-19 have provided me with way too much time 😬.
I learned of the "gravel" bike right here on this forum!
While I'm sure those in the business of designing, manufacturing and most importantly selling "gravel bikes" will defend their position that these bike do have characteristics that warrant a separate class, I'm going to believe otherwise.
I just loved the very first reply "Riding on gravel"!
I don't have a bike that was "designed, manufactured and sold" as a gravel bike but have one that I do call my gravel bike. It's essentially a road bike from the previous millennium with 27" rims and a frame that's able accept a larger 27x1 1/4" (32-650) tire. I will say that the rear tire is a really tight fit but it does fit without rubbing! I generally run them with pressures around 80-85 psi. It has a wide range of gearing 29" low and 108" high. The steel frame is a tad large for me by currently standards. The ride tho, is comfortable and stable. It rides quite well on gravel and as expected handles hard surface roads too. Would be a piss poor mountain or single track bike. I would like to have better brakes but there's no chance of me upgrading this bike Tom disk brakes. Perhaps some good center pulls 🤔.
Bottom line, to me, is larger tires and a frame that accepts them.
Likes For sovende:
Old 08-19-20, 05:58 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
So using that "logic," this is a gravel bike when it's ridden on gravel:

Does it turn into a road bike when ridden on the road?
it turns into a pumpkin when ridden after .... logic has failed.

Don't be afraid to visit your local big-box store and shop for both a life and a sense fo humor. One facilitates enjoying the other, and having both will make the first a lot more pleasant for as well.

Or you could spend your few remaining minutes on Bike Forums, snarkily sniping at others for no particular reason.

Are you generally unsatisfied? Can I help? Reach out ... people will listen.

Old 08-19-20, 06:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
"Gravel" to me means loose gravel and that's about the last thing I want to ride on.
"Gravel road" or "gravel cycling" is a term that covers riding on non-paved roads and tracks.They are a lot of fun, very low-traffic and often pass through interesting areas. They also offer a new type of challenge and a more intense workout. Whenever I see a sign that says " unimproved road" or "unmaintained road" I get super excited. We live in a world with too much pavement and it's kind of nice to get away from it and experience some dirt.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-19-20, 10:05 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
What I do know that I wish they had gravel bikes (like we do now) 20-30 years ago.
Old 08-19-20, 11:14 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Toadmeister
What I do know that I wish they had gravel bikes (like we do now) 20-30 years ago.
20-30 years ago any rigid MTB with drop bars would be almost identical to what they call "gravel bikes" nowadays. Heavier, but otherwise very similar. I had an '88 Bridgestone MB4 which fit the bill very nicely. Chromoly frame and fork, 18-speeds, 1.6 (40 mm) tires and room for much more .....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.