Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rewarded for cleaning the man cave!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 05:20 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts

For the past two weeks I've been gradually cleaning and organizing my man cave. This week I've gotten to the bookcase that serves as my parts bin. Two weeks ago, it was like one of those games at an arcade where you drop a nickel into a pile of nickels and hope that it will knock off a bunch of other nickels, except that I had a bigger pile of stuff at the base of the case, so I couldn't easily retrieve the parts that fell.

Today, it looks like this:

So much nicer!

But here's the really cool part and the reason I thought it was worth sharing. As I was sorting the parts into various bins, I came across three Ziplock bags containing headsets (or parts thereof). Two of them were unremarkable, unbranded headsets with no locknut, typical of what was on these shelves. But the third? The third was a complete Campagnolo Super Record headset. Score! The really weird thing is, I have absolutely no memory of how I came to have this. I'm pretty sure I didn't take it off any frame that has passed through my garage. I don't remember buying it. I literally had no idea it was there.

Now I need a frame to go with it.
Old 08-28-20, 05:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
For the past two weeks I've been gradually cleaning and organizing my man cave. This week I've gotten to the bookcase that serves as my parts bin. Two weeks ago, it was like one of those games at an arcade where you drop a nickel into a pile of nickels and hope that it will knock off a bunch of other nickels, except that I had a bigger pile of stuff at the base of the case, so I couldn't easily retrieve the parts that fell.

Today, it looks like this:

So much nicer!

But here's the really cool part and the reason I thought it was worth sharing. As I was sorting the parts into various bins, I came across three Ziplock bags containing headsets (or parts thereof). Two of them were unremarkable, unbranded headsets with no locknut, typical of what was on these shelves. But the third? The third was a complete Campagnolo Super Record headset. Score! The really weird thing is, I have absolutely no memory of how I came to have this. I'm pretty sure I didn't take it off any frame that has passed through my garage. I don't remember buying it. I literally had no idea it was there.

Get to it.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-28-20, 05:29 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
The third was a complete Campagnolo Super Record headset. Score! The really weird thing is, I have absolutely no memory of how I came to have this. I'm pretty sure I didn't take it off any frame that has passed through my garage. I don't remember buying it. I literally had no idea it was there.

And THAT is how N+1 happens!
Old 08-28-20, 05:34 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
And THAT is how N+1 happens!
Yeah, it is. Someone once described it to me as the doorknob problem -- you find a doorknob you really like and then you've got to build a house to go with it.
Old 08-28-20, 05:54 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
What happened to the Raleigh International in the first photo? Did you find enough parts to build it?
Old 08-28-20, 05:57 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
What happened to the Raleigh International in the first photo? Did you find enough parts to build it?
Thats clearly a rag hanger with fancy decals.
Likes For natterberry:
Old 08-28-20, 05:58 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Andy,
Show us the other sides of the MC...I hope you are not like me just moving stuff from one side to the other.
Best, Ben
Old 08-28-20, 06:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Yeah, it is. Someone once described it to me as the doorknob problem -- you find a doorknob you really like and then you've got to build a house to go with it.
You could have easily avoided all the organizational nonsense by adding a big lip panel to the front of those shelves in the first place.
Old 08-28-20, 06:08 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by merziac
You could have easily avoided all the organizational nonsense by adding a big lip panel to the front of those shelves in the first place.
Well, I was going for a state of maximum entropy, so that any time I moved anything it made the room cleaner.
Old 08-28-20, 06:18 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
But that already has a headset. He obviously needs a new frame to put the immaculately conceived Super Record headset on.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 08-28-20, 06:20 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Andy,
Show us the other sides of the MC...I hope you are not like me just moving stuff from one side to the other.
Best, Ben
Well, that's why it has taken two weeks to get to this point. I've been shifting things back and forth, throwing out trash and putting a few things in their proper place as I go. Here was the other side two weeks ago:

That was after a few days of cleaning to get a spot on the floor where I could stand. I built some shelves in the corner that I had been using for long-term block styrofoam storage.

And, as previously seen on another thread, I cleared the bench and currently have it set up for wheel truing.

The portable AC unit you see in this picture is what started the whole project. I've been working at home since the first week in March, and this is where that happens. There were a couple of weeks in early August where it was just too hot (because this room isn't on the HVAC system that regulates the rest of the house). I took my laptop inside for a week, and my wife (who had been used to having the house to herself before all this happened) gently suggested that I should get an AC for the man cave.
Old 08-28-20, 06:28 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Old 08-28-20, 06:35 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Andy,
I kept wondering where I had misplaced that headset, now I know. It will work nicely on my newly acquired 89 paramount. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 08-28-20, 06:48 PM
merziac

Well, that's why it has taken two weeks to get to this point. I've been shifting things back and forth, throwing out trash and putting a few things in their proper place as I go. Here was the other side two weeks ago:

That was after a few days of cleaning to get a spot on the floor where I could stand. I built some shelves in the corner that I had been using for long-term block styrofoam storage.

And, as previously seen on another thread, I cleared the bench and currently have it set up for wheel truing.

The portable AC unit you see in this picture is what started the whole project. I've been working at home since the first week in March, and this is where that happens. There were a couple of weeks in early August where it was just too hot (because this room isn't on the HVAC system that regulates the rest of the house). I took my laptop inside for a week, and my wife (who had been used to having the house to herself before all this happened) gently suggested that I should get an AC for the man cave.
Happy wife, happy......
Old 08-28-20, 07:32 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Andy,
I kept wondering where I had misplaced that headset, now I know. It will work nicely on my newly acquired 89 paramount. Smiles, MH
I knew someone would claim to have left it here. I thought it would be someone who has been here!
Old 08-28-20, 07:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I had the same experience this year. In February I had to clear out my apartment to replace the old carpet with laminated wood grain flooring. So all my semi-organized bike stuff got completely discombobulated. I'm slowly getting it recombobulated -- sorting saddles into their own box, handlebars/stems into their own box, etc.

A couple of weeks ago both shifter cables on my Ironman started fraying at the shifter barrels. Probably been close to two years since I replaced them, and the cables and housings were mediocre quality anyway -- the cables stretched like cheap fence wire, and the housings compressed like Slinkys.

While sorting through aforementioned discombobulated parts bins for new cables, I found a couple of components I didn't remember buying -- although a peek through my bike forums private messages confirmed I did indeed buy them, and not even long ago. There was a nice Shimano 600 Tricolor that I didn't realize until last week is an 8-speed early Ultegra. And a Shimano L422 Light Action downtube friction shifter pair. What the heck, says I, let's try those while I'm replacing the cables.

So I temporarily removed the original Suntour GPX stuff and am riding that Ironman with a hodgepodge of Suntour GPX front derailleur, Shimano 600 Tricolor rear derailleur, and the L422 Light Action shifters. And a new-to-me wheelset, courtesy of another BF member. Took a few rides to tweak everything to my satisfaction, but now I kinda like it. Rode 65 miles Wednesday on that setup, and plan to ride a full century this weekend, weather permitting.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-28-20, 08:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
I under stand...... I am starting on the garage.....have cleaned out 3 drawers of nails/hardware etc. good stuff went to into a plastic bin, lot got trashed. But it is like a shell game move stuff to clean then clean up what you moved I organized all my small bike parts a year ago, best thing I did, but no campy headsets

Old 08-28-20, 08:52 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
In my organizing I found I have too many components and too many frames, and ne’er the two shall meet unless I buy more frames, and more components to bridge the gap of compatibility...

if you can understand that you can explain it to me!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 08-28-20, 09:47 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I under stand...... I am starting on the garage.....have cleaned out 3 drawers of nails/hardware etc. good stuff went to into a plastic bin, lot got trashed. But it is like a shell game move stuff to clean then clean up what you moved I organized all my small bike parts a year ago, best thing I did, but no campy headsets
One of the revelations I had during this process is that there is nothing so useless as something you can identify but will never need. For example, at some time in the past ten years, and probably multiple times, I've apparently said to myself, "That's not trash. That's a reflector from an old Sears Free Spirit."
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 08-28-20, 11:28 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Now I don't feel so bad...

Before and after shots of the Bat Cave from the last time I did this a few years back:

After reorganization of the bikes in the Bat Cave:

I have to go through and reorganize my work bench and shop. Every time I start on it I find a new project to work on instead...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 08-29-20, 12:15 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

BTW, I'm pretty sure it was me that accidentally left that SR headset just lying around in your garage. I was there a couple years ago that weekend we all rode out to Vernonia and then drank all the beer in your basement fridge...

I had a small miracle occur in my own man cave not too long ago. I finally got the workbench clear enough to set about rebuilding the top end of my chain saw. And the saw actually works now.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 08-29-20, 01:07 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
BTW, I'm pretty sure it was me that accidentally left that SR headset just lying around in your garage. I was there a couple years ago that weekend we all rode out to Vernonia and then drank all the beer in your basement fridge...
Plausible. I'll accept the headset as a gift of appreciation for the beer. I fear you'll find no such offering for the hospitality you've shown me in Port Angeles.
Old 08-29-20, 02:30 AM
Andy_K 

I’m actually in the process of unbuilding it. It’s on a hook on the other side of the room. I need to find a gear puller to get the stupid Power Torque compact Athena crankset out of it. There was a shop about two miles from me that had the right tool, but they’re going out of business. Tomorrow is their last day and they aren’t doing anymore service. The owner said something on his Facebook page about starting mobile service. I plan to stop in and ask about that.
Old 08-29-20, 02:39 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by canklecat
While sorting through aforementioned discombobulated parts bins for new cables, I found a couple of components I didn't remember buying -- although a peek through my bike forums private messages confirmed I did indeed buy them, and not even long ago.
Thanks for the idea of looking through old messages. I just did that, and now the mystery is solved.

I got this as part of a larger multi-component SunTour Superbe for Campy Super Record trade I made with @nesteel just over two years ago when I was building up my Gios. I guess I decided the black Specialized headset that was already on the Gios was somehow better than the SR. Even now, I’m on the fence. I guess the proper solution is to get another Gios, build it with the SR and see which one I like best.
Old 08-29-20, 07:11 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
One of the revelations I had during this process is that there is nothing so useless as something you can identify but will never need. For example, at some time in the past ten years, and probably multiple times, I've apparently said to myself, "That's not trash. That's a reflector from an old Sears Free Spirit."
And it's broken .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.