Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Platform pedals with a bit of grip?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 10:09 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

Hi

My partner refuses to ride clipless due to an accident whilst riding with clips so she uses platform pedals. Can anyone recommend a platform pedal with a lot more grip than your typical pedals? They ride a hybrid road bike if that is important.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-20, 10:11 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
Hi

My partner refuses to ride clipless due to an accident whilst riding with clips so she uses platform pedals. Can anyone recommend a platform pedal with a lot more grip than your typical pedals? They ride a hybrid road bike if that is important.

Thanks.
Raceface Chesters. They are pretty cheap, reasonably light and grip amazingly well. My wife uses them on her MTB and Road bike because she also refuses to ride clips...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 08-31-20, 10:26 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
I've got Crankbrothers Stamp 3 and Stamp 7 and they've got great grip. I've never slipped on them at all, rain or shine. Once you plant your foot, that's where it stays. They have a concavity to them that I find I like a bit better than the RF Chesters as I feel it cradles my foot a little more. The Stamp 2 also looks like a good alloy pedal and the Stamp 1 (composite) is probably their equivalent to the Chester.
Old 08-31-20, 11:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
iSSi Thump. I've had a pair on my favorite hybrid for just over a year, lots of rides. I like 'em. Big enough even with my old Herman Survivor winter boots. Slightly concave surface, very comfy. Grippy without tearing up my soft soled summer shoes. I got the version with molded pins rather than replaceable steel pins, since I'm not a serious off-roader. I ride about 25% gravel-lite on that bike, the groomed chat trails along the MUP.

The right pedal recently developed a slight thunk but doesn't feel loose when I shake it unweighted. iSSi says their pedals are user serviceable, so I'll tackle it myself.

Stolen Brand Thermolite pedals are a bargain at around $15. A pair lasted me two years, lots of riding. They don't appear to be user serviceable, at least not easily. They're built for BMXers and probably not expected to survive a full year or last long enough to wear out. But at that price they were terrific for a couple of years. They still spin freely, but a bit loosey goosey now. I was a little worried about them just falling apart so I retired them. I'll probably move them to my heavy errand bike for short trips.
Old 09-01-20, 02:17 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Expensive but worth it. Pedaling innovations catalyst pedal.

Old 09-01-20, 06:06 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Lots of options for decent platform pedals with pins. Chesters are kind of a default - they're fine and reasonably priced. I prefer Crank Brothers 5050 that I have on my mountain bike over the chesters that I moved to my single speed.

BUT - one important thing is the shoes! For me good shoes, and specifically 5.10 brand bike shoes, make all the difference. Good shoes to pair with platform pedals will have soft-ish soles and be reasonably wide to provide more grip surface.
Old 09-01-20, 07:08 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
Food for thought...

Grippy platform pedals, like the Raceface Chesters and just about every other brands pedals, use little metal posts that dig into the sole of your shoes for grip. Be warned that if your foot somehow does slip off the pedal, those same metal posts will be more than happy to dig into your shins as well. I grew-up riding BMX bikes and bloody shins used to be the norm as we had pedals called "bear traps" that were grippy but not so friendly when one's foot did come off the pedal.
Old 09-01-20, 08:40 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Food for thought...

Grippy platform pedals, like the Raceface Chesters and just about every other brands pedals, use little metal posts that dig into the sole of your shoes for grip. Be warned that if your foot somehow does slip off the pedal, those same metal posts will be more than happy to dig into your shins as well.
+1

I've seen countless bloodied shins and calves at the shop, just from people test riding a bike in the parking lot. Most never slipped a pedal, but the pins contacted the rider's leg while getting ready to push off.
Old 09-01-20, 09:13 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I still have scars from Bear trap pedals

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Food for thought...

Grippy platform pedals, like the Raceface Chesters and just about every other brands pedals, use little metal posts that dig into the sole of your shoes for grip. Be warned that if your foot somehow does slip off the pedal, those same metal posts will be more than happy to dig into your shins as well. I grew-up riding BMX bikes and bloody shins used to be the norm as we had pedals called "bear traps" that were grippy but not so friendly when one's foot did come off the pedal.
Old 09-01-20, 09:17 AM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I have Shimano XT 8040 pedals and the scars on my legs that go with them. Very grippy pedals with 2 sets of pins to adjust the grip to suit you.
Old 09-01-20, 11:06 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

I've seen countless bloodied shins and calves at the shop, just from people test riding a bike in the parking lot. Most never slipped a pedal, but the pins contacted the rider's leg while getting ready to push off.
Yep. My wife went OTB last week on her MTB and the Chesters did some shin damage...
Old 09-01-20, 11:11 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I think most of you are talking about MTB riding but for road riding how would you get hit in the shin?

noodle soup not sure what you mean below. You mean they push off with the left leg and their right shin gets hit? Is that what you mean.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

Old 09-01-20, 11:20 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

noodle soup not sure what you mean below. You mean they push off with the left leg and their right shin gets hit? Is that what you mean.
I'm talking about people that are going from standing over the bike, with both feet on the ground, and rotating the crank backwards to get them to their normal starting position.

It's not a common occurrence for avid cyclists, but casual cyclists do some weird stuff when starting to ride off.
Old 09-01-20, 11:36 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

The Chesters have been known to take skin sitting in the garage if you get too close to the bike...They are pretty sharp...
Old 09-01-20, 11:56 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I have been enjoying the issi thump pedals on my mountain bike for several months now. they have a generous surface area but they are not gigantic. not very expensive, lots of adjustable grip, pretty lightweight.
Old 09-01-20, 12:04 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Hi

Thanks.
Lots of good plastic pedals with screw-in pins for grip (Race Face Chester, Crank Bros Stamp) but be be aware of the sizes of the pedals. Race Face Chester is too small for my big foot.
Old 09-01-20, 01:09 PM
coffeecherrypie

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Rivendell was pushing VP's Vice pedals (you can find them on Amazon) a while back. I have them on my do-everything bike and really like them. Very thin, very grippy. Almost feel like I could put them on my road bike and be happy.

What shoe does your partner intend on using? I looked once out of curiosity and didn't see anyone making shoes made for road riding with platform pedals. Ideally one would want lightweight with a stiff sole, I think. I once wore extremely flexibly-soled running shoes on a long ride on my commuter and tweaked something in my foot that bothers me to this day.

Last edited by coffeecherrypie; 09-01-20 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 01:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I managed to bark my shin the first ride with iSSi Thumps, because of a bad habit I'd developed. When my pedal wasn't in my preferred position I'd kick it backward and stop it with my shoe when it was in position. Not a problem with my road bike and relatively small clipless pedals.

First time I did that with the iSSi Thumps I forgot how much wider it was. Instead of stopping the pedal with my right foot, it caught my left shin.

Despite having been out of the Navy for 30+ years, I can still do some mighty fine cussing.

Fortunately the Thumps have molded plastic pins, so it took only two weeks for the gouges to heal.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-01-20, 03:37 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Oh, my. I never thought that shins were at risk. My DMR V12s always hit me in a calf. Mine draw blood once every 1,000-1,500 miles.

I agree on the shoes. Five Ten is the brand that springs to my mind, but there are other brands that work. I just can't think of their names....

I suggest setting a budget and deciding on a size - lots of brands and models have their partisans. My V12s are great for my feet; I think my w would want a smaller pedal, if she rode.
Old 09-01-20, 08:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
My wife and a few riding friends who are moving away from clipless have been really happy with the Kona Wha Wha 2. Massive platform, massive grip, i have a set of Chromag Synth pedals that I like on my road bike.

After a few rides on a set of Diety TMACs on an MTB and am blown away by them. I may get a set of the more affordable but similar Deity Deftrap for my road bike.

After 24 years, I may be largely done with clipless.
Old 09-01-20, 08:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think most of you are talking about MTB riding but for road riding how would you get hit in the shin?
I have no idea how someone manages to slip off a quality, steel-pinned pedal while road riding. Maybe riding in bowling shoes?

If someone is that much of a floundering clutz, they definitely should not be clipping. In.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-04-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-04-20, 08:46 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I'm putting flat pedals on my bike after 3 days of riding a rental bike that had some ISSI's installed. The ability to shift my foot around and be more agile on the bike more than makes up for any convenience of being clipped-in. My foot never once slipped off the pedal, I was getting all the power down I needed. Plus I could wear shoes that don't make me look like a dork. I'm sold.
Old 09-04-20, 09:36 PM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
I used Specialized Bennies before I went clip less. I’d recommend them or RF Chesters.
Old 09-06-20, 01:21 PM
mikedk13

Bikes: '21 Trek Domane AL3, '18 Trek FX2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I use half-clips on some smooth pedals (MKS GR9's on one bike and Wellgo Tracks on the other). I don't usually ride when it's wet out, but the clips hold my feet pretty well, without having my feet completely locked in.
Old 09-07-20, 01:32 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I have RaceFace AEffect pedals on my Sirrus 4.0, and wear a Pear Izumi X-AlpFlow shoe that has a very stiff sole under the ball of the foot. They stick to the pedals very well, and do a good job of transmitting energy to the pedal.

An example of a women’s shoe that can be used with flats: https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...dio/p/15282005

Flats with metal pins come in two varieties - those with exposed threads (Chesters) and those with smooth pins (AEffect). The ones with exposed threads seem to do more slice and dice damage.