Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke Length / Thread Length

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-16-20, 06:26 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts

So I broke a spoke on my Spank Oozy 27.5 wheels, and have a question to help me determine spoke length.

If I measure my broken spoke, it's 273mm long. If I insert the broken piece into the nipple it goes in about 5 mm. THe nipple itself is about 16mm long and the threaded end of the spoke sits about 2 or 3 mm below the back end of the nipple (the end that would be inside the rim).

So without taking out another spoke from the wheel, I am figuring the spoke length is probably 280mm.

The nipples appear to be this variety: https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-S...-Alloy-Nipples

Going to call local shops to see who has this in stock - hoping it's a common size to carry.
Old 09-16-20, 06:51 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Your measurement logic is sound. You should be good to within a millimeter or two. It isn’t the end of the world if the nipples don’t match; you will be the only one who ever knows.

It is more important to match the specs of the spoke. You don’t want one spoke that has different properties than its friends.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 09-16-20, 07:19 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Generally the threaded length of spokes is about 10mm. That's what DT supplies and what the Phil machine rolls. From your description is seems that the OEM spokes are a couple mms too short. Better to be 1mm too long then 3 too short. Too short can lead to broken nipples, especially if the nipple is Al. Andy
Old 09-16-20, 07:34 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Generally the threaded length of spokes is about 10mm. That's what DT supplies and what the Phil machine rolls. From your description is seems that the OEM spokes are a couple mms too short. Better to be 1mm too long then 3 too short. Too short can lead to broken nipples, especially if the nipple is Al. Andy
Andrew - I think if the nipple were a normal nipple instead of the one's I linked,the spoke would extend all the way to the end / back of the nipple.
Old 09-16-20, 08:10 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I prefer brass nipples myself.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-16-20, 08:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
Andrew - I think if the nipple were a normal nipple instead of the one's I linked,the spoke would extend all the way to the end / back of the nipple.

You're correct, I didn't open the link to view the nipple. I do agree with dsbrantjr though about nipple material. Andy