Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gearing Help please

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gearing Help please

Old 09-17-20, 06:01 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by oleg232000
Well we will have to see. I already ordered a 11-32 cassette from Amazon, but its a free return. So if anything Ill trade it in for a 11-28 or 26.

And yes the particular hill i was on was 20% grade, at least according to the internet. Its a known hill in the cycling community here (Mountain Gate road, LA).

And regarding the front chain rings, I feel like I should first try and change out rear cassette before trying to mess with the front chain ring, crank setup. That will be more costly and I would need to research what is compatible with my bike, drivetrain etc.
what's the capacity on your existing derailleur? you could look that up and use the calculator I linked to in my first post to know whether or not that cassette will work. That would be easier than trial & error.
Old 09-21-20, 09:57 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah I havent had a chance to look anything up just yet. Will research and get back to you. Thank for that info
Old 09-21-20, 10:51 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by oleg232000
Ill look up the present gearing, but Im 37 and im an avid rider. I did a grade ranging from 3-5.5% this morning, and it was fine. Doable no issues. Didnt even get out of the saddle. But then i hit a 20% grade, and after about a 1000 ft of pushing hard out of the saddle, there was just no where to go. The gears waaay too high. Im not saying Im looking for Lance Armstrong gears, but I really do think this gearing is not right.
You should be able to ride a compact 34-28 up 20% if it isn't too long. With that gearing I'm riding up 16% that is about 200 yards and I'm 75. I'm doing 1 mile of 10%. Though I'm Not happy about it and if I'm not in good condition I have to stop short of the top to rest.
Old 09-21-20, 01:44 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
You should be able to ride a compact 34-28 up 20% if it isn't too long. With that gearing I'm riding up 16% that is about 200 yards and I'm 75. I'm doing 1 mile of 10%. Though I'm Not happy about it and if I'm not in good condition I have to stop short of the top to rest.
Not enough low gears are detrimental to performance long before you need to get off and walk and for 20% you need a very low gear. A the same power that would propel you to 24 mph at 0% you would do only 4 mph on a 20% slope, if you are 175 lb on a 20 lb bike ...

Last edited by Racing Dan; 09-21-20 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-05-20, 03:16 PM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Finally got to install the new cassette. To my surprise, I didnt even need to adjust the RD. It went and shifted just fine with no excessive noise or pressure, at least on my short test ride. But, since this is my first time ever switching out a cassette, i had a question. Is the entire cassette supposed to have any play once installed? I can literally shift the entire cassette left and right when its installed on the back wheel. Its not alot, like 2-3 cms, but you can clearly see it move around if I put my fingers on it and push it. I m not entirely sure, but I believe its the hub itself moving everything left and right. Is this normal?

and perhaps related, although i have no shifting noise, and there is no noise at all when the bike is on my bike rack spinning the crank etc, when I get on the bike and ride it, there is a new noise Ive never heard before. And it does not occur when Im actually spinning the cranks or pulling the chain, it actually happens just freewheeling. And its on and off, not uniform. More when I lean the bike left and right. Is this related to my first concern? Any clues? Thanks