Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Coroplast Panniers•September 2020

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 03:32 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

I’ve made Coroplast Panniers for myself in 2011, 2015, & 2020.
So the first set lasted 9 years. The 2015 set is heavy 6mm Coroplast and they got moved to another bike.
2018 and 2019 builds were front panniers, still experimental. LBS doesn’t stock touring forks, so I’ve done a hack or two to convert existing forks to carry front panniers.
The 2019 build includes a Tailbox, which isn’t really a set of panniers. But it’s a great aerodynamic advantage.

I gotta get these photos out to the public, so other experimenters can see what’s been done , and have themselves a rational idea of what they need to improve upon. By no means do I claim perfection.

Let me see how many photos I can post before the cpu implodes (lol):

Model 317 Fairing with Big Panniers The Big Panniers (Orange) were built in 2015, using 6mm Coroplast.

Model 318, with Model 319 tailbox Marker and tail lights are lit

The Model 318 is heavier than the Model 319.

Type 3 Models 317, 318, & 319 are based on the Type 3. Type 3 Fairing had No cargo capacity, it was strictly for aerodynamic advantage.
Old 09-21-20, 03:46 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Big Coroplast Panniers Multi Angle View

Model 520 Big Coroplast Pannier Set

12 volt, 10 watt solar panel on top of the Panniers

The Big Panniers temporarily mounted on the M319 for a fit test. These Panniers immediately went to my Type Eleven (11th Prototype).
I am waiting for others to improve on my basic pannier design. I now have an idea, that conventional fabric panniers could be hung from the bottom of these hard plastic panniers . Could be a good method of obtaining a compromise, as you see the panniers I build are covered with 12 volt LED lights.
I believe in an evolutionary design, with each year brings an improved version.
Corrugated Polypropylene is available at Home Depot stores for $20.98 per 48”x96” sheet.(located in back by the plexiglass and shower doors).