Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Well here goes.... a couple of new Canyon Roadlites

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Well here goes.... a couple of new Canyon Roadlites

Old 12-14-18, 08:20 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Talk about customer service. I noticed a couple of small rubs on the left hand brake lever and emailed Canyon about them. They asked for a few pictures of the damage seen below. Here is a copy of the email I received from them about the issue:

"We've very sorry to see this damage on your brake and would like to help resolve this. In this particular case, we're more than happy to reach out to Tektro, the manufacturer of your brake to see if we can source replacement hardware(which we sadly don't have here at our warehouse). In addition to that, we'd also be more than happy to cover the labor of have the new lever installed.

The other option, is that if you're ok with keeping the bike as it sits, we can refund up to $100 to keep the bike.

Which ever your preference is, we're more than happy to accommodate as best as possible.

All the best,

Ian

Service Center Canyon Bicycles USA Inc."

I'd call that superb customer service... btw I took the $100.00 credit.

Nothing a black marker can't fix.
Old 12-14-18, 08:30 AM
bbeaty

Bikes: 2014 Kona Honzo, 2019 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Very nice! Congrats on the new bikes.

I've had decent luck minimizing scuffs / scratches on aluminum parts (wheels, cranks, etc) using a product called Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Pending on the aluminum alloy it can be hit or miss how well it darkens but may be worth a shot.
Old 12-14-18, 08:40 AM
TomWinKC

Bikes: '15 Spec Sirrus Carbon Pro; '14 Camber Expert Carbon EVO

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Yes they are Reynolds Assault AD 41 carbon wheels with thru axels. The bikes are very light and responsive. We had our first ride today a short 22 miles on the Withlacoochee with our friend DGoodrow it was a great inaugural ride. Have to work out a few seat angles and just ordered a couple of pairs of Ergon GP3 grips. Looks like they are keepers.
Possibly the ultimate hybrid available............
Old 12-14-18, 01:24 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeaty
Very nice! Congrats on the new bikes.

I've had decent luck minimizing scuffs / scratches on aluminum parts (wheels, cranks, etc) using a product called Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Pending on the aluminum alloy it can be hit or miss how well it darkens but may be worth a shot.
Thanks for the information. I just took a little of my Testors Fl Black paint (which btw is a prefect match for the window switches on Audi TT's the reason I have a bottle around in the first place). I think it did a pretty good job see below:
Old 12-18-18, 03:54 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
I'm 5"10" with a 32" inseam. So you would be a medium or even a small on a Canyon.
I'm looking to buy another bike and I've narrowed it down to the Canyon CF 7 (different but same frame as yours) or the Trek FX6. I'm the same height as you but have a 33" inseam. When I put in the "numbers" on the Canyon website it says I should get a small. That throws me off a bit because my Trek DS3 is a large and, in terms of size, I'm really happy with it (after putting a slightly shorter riser stem on it) and it will be a bike I continue to ride (a lot!). In terms of riding position I certainly don't want a fully upright riding position like on a cruiser/comfort bike but, OTH, at 69 I have no desire to be in a aero position either. The Brooks B17 saddle on my DS3 is about the same height as the flat bars that are on it.

So, with the above in mind, what is your riding position on the Canyon? I believe you said you ended up buying a medium.
Old 12-18-18, 04:47 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Originally Posted by LesG
So, with the above in mind, what is your riding position on the Canyon? I believe you said you ended up buying a medium.
I would give them a call. You'r right I ended up with a medium and the fit is just right (which is what the site recommended using my data and was reinforced by a call to customer service. The riding style is aggressive certainly not your typical hybrid or cruiser bike. It would seem more like riding a typical drop handle bar on the hoods. From what I have heard from Europe is that they have access to parts such as different stem lengths for the intergrated stem/handlebar but they're not yet available in the states. I'm very pleased with our purchases and Canyon USA customer service.
Old 12-18-18, 05:58 PM
LesG

Thanks for the reply. You and I being the same height, I'm guessing the reason the Canyon size calculator put you in the medium is your upper torso or arms (or both) are a bit longer than me. I experimented a bit with their "sizer" and played around with those numbers. When playing with those numbers the calculator kept saying I needed a small but at one point after "making my legs and torso longer" it also said this: "Normally you would need a Size S. However, your inseam length shows us your saddle height would be around around 78.7inch. A Size M is therefore a better match for you."

Depending on the bike my body dimensions usually puts me right at the edge between needing large and medium (for most bikes but not the Canyon). There's a Trek store near me and I can, at least, give the FX6 a short ride before buying. Wish I could do that with the Canyon and I do like the CF7 over the FX6 for a couple of reasons besides price. If I go with the Canyon, the main reason I'm looking at the CF7 over yours is I can change out the stem as I did on my current Trek so as to tweak riding position for me personally. Unfortunately I can't do that with your model because the handlebars and stem are one piece... well I guess it could be done but now I'm changing out the stem and the bars on a $3000 bike. I'm guessing that one piece stem/handlebar design on yours isn't an inexpensive item... it sure does look good though! Frankly I really do like yours better than the CF7, not only because it looks a little better but I particularly like the 1x11 gearing.

OK, it took all of the above just to say, yep you're right, I better call Canyon and I also wanted to add as others have said, you've got a really great looking bike ta boot. Glad it works for you.
Old 12-18-18, 06:30 PM
DowneasTTer

The CF 7.0 is a great value and checks most of the boxes. If I didn't already have my Giant Fastroad CoMax 1 set up with new wheels, and R8000 drivetrain I would have jumped on them. Just can't see going backwards on a new bike. With separate stem and handlebar you can work with the reach. However, I don't think you can add spacers if the fork is cut as in the 9.0. There appears to also be quite a bit of adjustment to the saddle. The nice thing about the Canyon is you have 30 days to try it out. If it doesn't work for send it back and get the refund. Just be sure to keep all the packing. Good luck on your search.

BTW: where else can you buy a bike spec'ed like the 7.0 (carbon frame & fork, full 7000 105 drive train, etc) for only $1499 (no sales tax if out of CA) and have it weight only 17.8 lbs in medium?

Last edited by DowneasTTer; 12-18-18 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 07:07 PM
DowneasTTer

well I guess it could be done but now I'm changing out the stem and the bars on a $3000 bike. I'm guessing that one piece stem/handlebar design on yours isn't an inexpensive item... it sure does look good though! Frankly I really do like yours better than the CF7, not only because it looks a little better but I particularly like the 1x11 gearing..
You can look at the cost of the other upgrades to the 7. The Reynolds AR 41 whee set MSRP is $1300, the Sram Force 1 groupset runs about $1200, the FIZIK ANTARES R5 is about $120, the CANYON S15 VCLS 2.0 CF seat post is $84 (using today's exchange rate) and the CANYON CP04 COCKPIT CF handlebar/stem combo is about $450 (again using today's exchange rate). So for the $1499 difference in cost of the 9.0 LTD from the CF 7.0 is a great deal. Now would ever buy all those things to hang on a bike no...
Old 12-19-18, 04:16 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell me that you prefer to ride the Giant Fastroad Comax 1.

Can you explain the differences in riding both bike?
Old 12-19-18, 06:45 PM
LesG

You can look at the cost of the other upgrades to the 7. The Reynolds AR 41 whee set MSRP is $1300, the Sram Force 1 groupset runs about $1200, the FIZIK ANTARES R5 is about $120, the CANYON S15 VCLS 2.0 CF seat post is $84 (using today's exchange rate) and the CANYON CP04 COCKPIT CF handlebar/stem combo is about $450 (again using today's exchange rate). So for the $1499 difference in cost of the 9.0 LTD from the CF 7.0 is a great deal. Now would ever buy all those things to hang on a bike no...
Point taken. Both CF Canyon models offer superb pricing when compared to other brand's similar models. It sure does seem like yours, in spite of the cost, for what you're getting is a bargain. Anyway the Trek FX6, I'm also looking closely at, is very comparable to the Canyon CF 7 yet the Trek costs 500 bucks more. I would, however, prefer to support my LBS Trek dealer. Knowing Canyon is making a profit at 1500 for the CF 7 I'd be more inclined to buy from the brick and mortar LBS Trek dealer (knowing there is more expense involved with brick and mortar) if there was a couple of hundred dollar difference and not 500. A couple of years after retirement I got bored and took a part time job teaching and sales work in a local store (not a LBS but involved in another sport). The markup on stuff (not on sale) is around 15 to 21% depending on the item. I really wonder what the markup is at the local Trek dealer. I don't mind business making a profit from me, that's what makes the world go round, I just don't want it to be excessive.

Also just FYI, I called Canyon today. The guy (Isaac) said I should go with a medium frame and not the small as their website "sizer" says. I also found out that there is some sort of locking ring installed on the head tube which is set at the factory... without seeing it I'm not sure what or how that works. Anyway it turns out replacing the stem is just like on any other bike because you don't have to do anything with that locking ring and the diameter for the stem is standard 1 1/8". Also he didn't make me feel any better about the more aggressive riding position I'm trying to avoid (as compared to most/many hybrids) other than finding out I could change out the stem.
Old 12-19-18, 09:15 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Point taken. Both CF Canyon models offer superb pricing when compared to other brand's similar models. It sure does seem like yours, in spite of the cost, for what you're getting is a bargain. Anyway the Trek FX6, I'm also looking closely at, is very comparable to the Canyon CF 7 yet the Trek costs 500 bucks more. I would, however, prefer to support my LBS Trek dealer. Knowing Canyon is making a profit at 1500 for the CF 7 I'd be more inclined to buy from the brick and mortar LBS Trek dealer (knowing there is more expense involved with brick and mortar) if there was a couple of hundred dollar difference and not 500. A couple of years after retirement I got bored and took a part time job teaching and sales work in a local store (not a LBS but involved in another sport). The markup on stuff (not on sale) is around 15 to 21% depending on the item. I really wonder what the markup is at the local Trek dealer. I don't mind business making a profit from me, that's what makes the world go round, I just don't want it to be excessive.

Also just FYI, I called Canyon today. The guy (Isaac) said I should go with a medium frame and not the small as their website "sizer" says. I also found out that there is some sort of locking ring installed on the head tube which is set at the factory... without seeing it I'm not sure what or how that works. Anyway it turns out replacing the stem is just like on any other bike because you don't have to do anything with that locking ring and the diameter for the stem is standard 1 1/8". Also he didn't make me feel any better about the more aggressive riding position I'm trying to avoid (as compared to most/many hybrids) other than finding out I could change out the stem.
i was thinking the same thing when I compared the specs to my Trek FSX6, very similar specs. Both great bikes, but I do like having a local LBS for service and warranty. My 2019 Trek FSX6 had a price of $2100, but my LBS came down to $1900 and I also got $75 in store credit for the purchase. It’s a lot of bike for the $$.

I’m thinking of getting the wife a FXS5 but I may take a serious look at the Canyons too.
Old 12-20-18, 03:07 PM
DowneasTTer

I hope you found their customer service as good as I have. Here's a pic of the locking ring.

My guess is they put it there so the fork wouldn't fall out when us less than talented "mechanics" try to put these together and possibly avoid a few phone calls to customer service. The best part is that alinement of the stem/handlebar on was very easy. Just aline the assembly with the fork lock and your in business. There appears to be quite a bit of adjustment to the saddle for reach so I would think the medium would work in either the 9.0 or the 7.0.
Old 12-20-18, 03:13 PM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by csrpenfab

i was thinking the same thing when I compared the specs to my Trek FSX6, very similar specs. Both great bikes, but I do like having a local LBS for service and warranty. My 2019 Trek FSX6 had a price of $2100, but my LBS came down to $1900 and I also got $75 in store credit for the purchase. It’s a lot of bike for the $$.

I’m thinking of getting the wife a FXS5 but I may take a serious look at the Canyons too.

I hear you. I have access to a great LBS and in the past 8 years have purchased 6 bikes from them. I would have purchased the next two as well. But, in my mind no one offers a bike quite like the RoadLite at any price point less custom build. (read $$$$$). My LBS gets all my repair business on things I can't do. But to be honest since both my wife and I have been retired for the past 12 years saving $400 (or in my $800) on a bike(s) means a lot more to us than than giving it to my LBS.

Last edited by DowneasTTer; 12-20-18 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-20-18, 03:42 PM
DowneasTTer

Well we have only logged 150 miles on the bikes so far due mostly to the the weather here in the sunshine state. But I thought I would just do a quick update. These are very quick (even with our old engines), nimble and comfortable right out of the box. I did replace the Ergon grips with Ergon GP3’s as we both like a couple of different bar positions on our longer rides. Also since Canyon doesn’t have any of the special Garmin mounts for the CH04 combo stem/handbar in stock I purchased a Garmin direct bar mount disc, the one using rubber bands. It works but will replace with the proper one once available on the Canyon site.

And I can’t believe Canyon’s customer service…… this morning around 9 EST I used the contact Canyon form on their web site to ask when the Garmin mount might be available. A few minutes ago 11 EST I received this message:

“Glad to hear that you and your wife are enjoying your new Canyon Roadlites!

Unfortunately, we do not yet have the H31 garmin mount in stock at this time. We are hoping this will be available in the next 4-6 weeks.

I can recommend the following Garmin mount which will be compatible with your handlebar:

Garmin mount: https://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mou...yd-race-mount/

You may or may not have heard of K-Edge before but I use their products myself and they are extremely high quality. You will need two screws to mount it as well. You will be able to find the screws at any local hardware store and they are usually inexpensive. Ace hardware usually has a great selection. The screw specifications are as follows:

Diameter: M4 (metric)

Thread: 0.7mm

Length: 15mm

Head type: Hex button head”

Talk about customer service they answered my question in a very timely matter, gave me an option using another vendor even down to the types of screws needed. You guys can look back at my other threads so you know I’m not a Canyon Troll but I have to say they have earned my business for the future as well.

The other thing I did today was to finally remove the cheap plastic dork discs. Up to these bikes I have mostly worked on Shimano stuff (well in the past 20 years or so). Headed to you-tube for a little guidance on removing Sram cassettes. Got the tools out and took off my rear wheel. Put the chain whip on, put the cassette removal tool on, got the wrench on and tried to undo the lock ring. NOTHING, no movement what so ever. So instead of driving through the swamp and breaking something I took a closer look. Couldn’t see any lock ring or the like so I turned the wheel over just looking around, heard a bang and saw the cassette sitting on the floor with axle spacer. Sure enough these just are basically held together by the axles. BTW the cassette is all one piece not the typical Shimano gears and spacers. Took the dork disc off and put everything back together.
Old 12-20-18, 08:11 PM
LesG

Red face

I hope you found their customer service as good as I have. Here's a pic of the locking ring.

My guess is they put it there so the fork wouldn't fall out when us less than talented "mechanics" try to put these together and possibly avoid a few phone calls to customer service. The best part is that alinement of the stem/handlebar on was very easy. Just aline the assembly with the fork lock and your in business. There appears to be quite a bit of adjustment to the saddle for reach so I would think the medium would work in either the 9.0 or the 7.0.
I did find their customer service very helpful. My biggest concern when looking at the bike's dimensions was thinking the riding position would probably be a bit more aggressive than I want. Issac (Canyon customer service rep) answered all my questions about replacing the stem to help remedy that a bit and that the locking ring thing wouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the photo of it, I was having a bit of a problem envisioning it. Seeing it, I, like you, sort of figure it is probably there to keep the fork from falling out when the at home mechanics ( the wanna be ones) put the bike together... which is, IMO, a good idea from Canyon

So, after talking to Canyon, I'm going back and forth between the Trek FX S6 (about $2000), the Canyon Roadlite CF7 (about $1500) and now I've added to the mix your Roadlite CF9 (about $3000). If I end up buying the CF9, I'm gonna start a thread in these forums about you owing me $1500 (only $1000 with the Trek) because the CF9 wasn't in the mix before you started this thread

Last edited by LesG; 12-20-18 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 03:07 PM
DowneasTTer

Ah, finally a proper Garmin mount: Thanks Canyon for the suggestion oh and Amazon for the fast delivery. Now all I need is some decent weather to ride in:

Old 12-22-18, 05:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
@ bike shop we get touch up paint in the boxes..
Old 01-01-19, 01:25 PM
DowneasTTer

I haven't updated this thread for a little while so here goes..... currently we have about 500 miles on them. The only thing I have done so far is clean and lube the chain. One the things that has been a deterrent to purchasing replacements for our FastRoads was the ability to put a rack and bag on the back of the frame. We sometimes take lunch, jackets or do a little shopping with the bikes. No way was I going to jury rig a rack on the RoadLites. However, in searching for a solution I came upon the RhinoWear 10L rear under seat pack. So I purchased one from Amazon for $50 or so. Today was the first time I used it. Worked great. it was only 63 F when we started (don't forget that after 8 years of living here we are Floridized complete with the thin blood and all) so an over shirt and jacket for both of us. During the ride off came the jackets and finally the over shirts. All fit in the pack without any problem. What a great New Years Day Ride on the Withlacoochee!!
Old 01-02-19, 12:18 AM
LesG

I was hoping you'd post an update. I'm really glad those bikes are working out for you two. Your original post gave me the "wants" really badly and I spent several hours (literally) going over the dimensions trying to make your Roadlite work for me. It's not only good looking, it's got everything I'd want from the single chainring right down to the Schwalbe G-One Speed tires. No matter how I worked the numbers it ended up (on paper anyway) being a bike that put me in a more aggressive riding position than I want. I do plan on buying another bike this month or next (waiting to see about any sales) but with much regret it won't be your Canyon.

By the way, I know your rims and the Schwalble tires are tubeless ready. Are you riding them that way?

Below is pictured a saddlebag I got a couple of months ago from Acorn. Not a very good image but the only one I've got of the bag. Give them a look if, in the future, you're in the market for another one. The one shown on my bike is their medium size... also went ahead and got the small one (which isn't all that small) for the new bike (the not yet bought one!) . These are extremely high quality bags with a lot of thought that has gone into them. Problem is they're made by a man and wife team (and bike riders) that only makes them in batches every couple of months. Gray batch, Black batch and brown batch. I was on their email list for when the batches will be available... they sell out of most stuff within 24 to 36 hours. Anyway the medium one pictured has D rings on top to tie things off to, like a coat. To give you an idea of capacity, what I'm carrying inside: spare tube, dyna plug kit, patch kit, small needle nose, 6 inch crescent, miniature channel locks, tire tool, master link, CO2 inflator, 24 gram CO2 cartridge, dedicated bike multi tool, several lengths of para cord and I've still got room for a couple of sandwiches, couple of energy bars and a bottle of water... I just couldn't get the proverbial kitchen sink in there. https://www.acornbags.com/collection...=6152919121958
Old 01-04-19, 02:19 PM
bald1

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have 9 various Acorn bags for my fleet. Make great tool rolls, wedges and handlebar bags. Worth waiting for.
Old 01-06-19, 03:17 AM
Randy Barat

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the longest distance you’ve done so far?
Old 01-06-19, 09:23 AM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by Randy Barat
Whats the longest distance you’ve done so far?
Well it's winter here in North Central FL..... so the longest ride so far has been 40 miles on the Withlacoochee State Trail (being a rail trail not much in the way hills). So far the bikes have preformed wonderfully... much better than the engines Once the tires wear out we will be going to a tubeless set up. Most likely Pro Ones in 25 instead of the current 30s.
Old 01-06-19, 10:35 AM
Randy Barat

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any particular reason for you to change to thinner tyres in the future?

Old 01-06-19, 01:47 PM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by Randy Barat
Any particular reason for you to change to thinner tyres in the future?

Well I want to go tubeless and my wife's xs frame came with 650B wheel set. I haven't found any 30 mm tubeless road tires for 650B series wheels. I don't have room for 40s in the front fork. Any ideas? For my bike rolling on typical 700 series wheels not a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.