Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cracked frame 2016 Trek Emonda

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 06:08 PM
RichoBrisbane

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bought this 2016 Emonda in mid 2017. There were no marks, scuffs, anything (it looked brand new), when I bought it 2nd hand. In late March 2019 I noticed cracks in frame (pictured) under seat pole, on both sides of frame. I'm perplexed how this has happened. No drops, no accidents, treated well etc. Has anyone else seen similar cracks on other Trek bikes? I found out later that the lifetime frame warranty only applies to 1st owner. Trek Australia have said they're not willing to do anything under warranty. They also refuse to assist in any other way such as providing store credit of any amount on purchase of new bike.

Is this acceptable that a 3 year old frame has cracked when there are no signs of damage to bike (apart from cracks)?

I have had this bike serviced several times at Trek previously. I've been told on each occasion that the bike is in good condition.

Finally, if the original owner did something that has now caused the cracks, would it take 2 years to be noticeable?
Old 04-06-19, 06:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Sounds like a run o'the mill asplosion.. FYI, you can't post pics until you have another 10 or so posts on BF
Old 04-06-19, 06:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have a 2015 Emonda SLR with 22,000 miles. Zero problems not caused by me.

Which frameset is yours?
Old 04-06-19, 06:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
You are not the original owner so warranty does not apply. Sad.

Wasn’t it @waterrockets who had an issue with a Trek frame defect and could not get it replaced since he was not original owner??
Old 04-06-19, 06:57 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Can you contact the original owner? He might want that bike you "borrowed" from him back for a few weeks.
Old 04-06-19, 07:10 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Mechanic error or did you adjust the clamp? Send it to Calfee and don't look back.
Old 04-06-19, 07:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Are the cracks just cosmetic/in the paint? Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Regardless, no, you're not entitled to any type of warranty support/coverage; it's one of the primary benefits of buying new and shouldn't be expected when buying used.
Old 04-06-19, 07:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Mechanic error or did you adjust the clamp? Send it to Calfee and don't look back.
" Trek Australia have said they're not willing to do anything under warranty "

Shipping both ways will not be cheap.
Old 04-06-19, 07:32 PM
jrobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I also wouldn't be surprised if it was just a crack in the paint or clear coat (or whatever finish they use).

If it is a true carbon crack, it could be repaired. I snapped off a seat stay on a Cervelo carbon frame about 5 years ago in a crash. The seat stay was broken all the way through. I sent it to a carbon frame repair place (can't recall who I used) and they repaired the frame. As I recall it cost about $300. I have since used it outside for the last 5 years and it has been perfect. They just rewrap the area with carbon fiber and epoxy. It would probably be stronger than the original carbon.
Old 04-06-19, 08:31 PM
ToiletSiphon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
" Trek Australia have said they're not willing to do anything under warranty "

Shipping both ways will not be cheap.
Search "luescher teknik" on Google. They are located in Australia.
Old 04-06-19, 09:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
@RichoBrisbane's Album/Gallery:

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/497267
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/13425169

Old 04-06-19, 10:08 PM
RichoBrisbane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I have a 2015 Emonda SLR with 22,000 miles. Zero problems not caused by me.

Which frameset is yours?
Cheaper than yours.. SL5​​
Old 04-06-19, 10:11 PM
RichoBrisbane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Yeah. I don't adjust anything. I last had a bike fit 2 years ago when seat height adjusted
Old 04-06-19, 10:12 PM
RichoBrisbane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
I also wouldn't be surprised if it was just a crack in the paint or clear coat (or whatever finish they use).

If it is a true carbon crack, it could be repaired. I snapped off a seat stay on a Cervelo carbon frame about 5 years ago in a crash. The seat stay was broken all the way through. I sent it to a carbon frame repair place (can't recall who I used) and they repaired the frame. As I recall it cost about $300. I have since used it outside for the last 5 years and it has been perfect. They just rewrap the area with carbon fiber and epoxy. It would probably be stronger than the original carbon.
I was quoted around $1000. I'll move on and buy a NEW bike. Once bitten..
Old 04-06-19, 10:14 PM
RichoBrisbane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Can you contact the original owner? He might want that bike you "borrowed" from him back for a few weeks.
Tried that. He reckons he can' find receipt. He gave me name of bike shop. It was no longer in business
Old 04-06-19, 10:25 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
That will buff out
Old 04-07-19, 06:31 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't read all of the comments, but, did you do the tap test? The squeeze test?
Looking at this... doesn't look good.. But I've had some ugly cracks that wound up just in the paint.
Although, I should state for the record that I, personally am super paranoid, especially after my latest crash.. so, I see a crack I'm not taking ANY chances. It's unfortunate this happened to you.
Old 04-07-19, 07:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Trek Decoupled Frame?

It is hard to say what I'd do. I agree with @motosonic, that perhaps a little more testing.

Then, I can't say what I'd do.

How aggressive of a rider are you? If super aggressive/racing, then likely replace.

I'd be tempted to mark the ends of the cracks to monitor for progressing, then keep riding. Perhaps use the bike on a trainer, or for more mundane rides, at least until you determine your comfort level.

Wrap with Hemp?
Old 04-07-19, 08:54 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by RichoBrisbane
I was quoted around $1000. I'll move on and buy a NEW bike. Once bitten..
That's $710USD, which is a little high for that repair, but how much of that estimate is shipping and mechanical work?
Old 04-07-19, 12:41 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
In that particular area it would be difficult to get complete compaction of the plies causing air pockets that would result in the tendency to get some movement in the frame. I suspect it is not likely to get a catastrophic failure judging from what is visible but I would monitor the area regularly. The other course of action would be for a repair shop to grind down into the carbon to reach the solid laminate and build up with proper plies.

There is a video of a well known carbon frame where the investigator cut the frame open which revealed such air pockets. I did not bookmark the video and don't wish to search for it now. It only takes a little lack of care to get very poor result.
Old 04-07-19, 12:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit

frame warranty not transferable to 2nd buyer so sales receipt in hand, Original owner can get it replaced..

not 2nd..
Old 04-07-19, 12:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Others have stated to ride and watch.

Personally I would just lay out $400 for a Chinese carbon and walk the parts over. You'd likely need a new -bracket if that Emoda is press-fit. I'd go BSA and new crank.
Old 04-07-19, 07:15 PM
RichoBrisbane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought this 2016 Emonda in mid 2017. There were no marks, scuffs, anything (it looked brand new), when I bought it 2nd hand. In late March 2019 I noticed cracks in frame (pictured) under seat pole, on both sides of frame. I'm perplexed how this has happened. No drops, no accidents, treated well etc. Has anyone else seen similar cracks on other Trek bikes? I found out later that the lifetime frame warranty only applies to 1st owner. Trek Australia have said they're not willing to do anything under warranty. They also refuse to assist in any other way such as providing store credit of any amount on purchase of new bike.

Is this acceptable that a 3 year old frame has cracked when there are no signs of damage to bike (apart from cracks)?

I have had this bike serviced several times at Trek previously. I've been told on each occasion that the bike is in good condition.

Finally, if the original owner did something that has now caused the cracks, would it take 2 years to be noticeable?
Thanks for everyone's input with this. Has been very helpful. I bought a 2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 today. I'm going to strip components off Trek bike and buy a frame to suit my 13 yo son.
Old 04-08-19, 10:18 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Meh, I'd keep riding it if it were me. If you're not a super heavy guy, and aren't riding on cobbles, or off road, I'd just keep riding it and monitor it for crack propagation. My 2010 Trek developed a few of these hairline "cracks" and it didn't bother me. I kept an eye on it, and it never became a problem. I wasn't even convinced they went all the way through the frame. Your photos look a little bit worse, but not by much...they may just be surface cracks and not all the way through...
Old 04-08-19, 10:21 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input with this. Has been very helpful. I bought a 2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 today. I'm going to strip components off Trek bike and buy a frame to suit my 13 yo son.
LOL the majority of the "very helpful" comments are either "keep riding/keep an eye on it/it can be repaired", and you end up buying another frame and trash this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.