Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame material question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Frame material question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 09:47 AM
JamesFromBusan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Frame material question

6061 aluminum vs Columbus Alloy custom?

I was under the impression Columbus was steel, but Cinelli has a bike that’s Columbus Alloy Custom which is an aluminum material?

I mentioned 6061 because it’s a common aluminum build and I’d like to know if there is a huge difference between the two I mentioned above.

Thank you in advance and be safe during these unknown times!

-James
Old 06-29-20, 10:18 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The actual properties of different aluminum alloys are generally similar. Differences between aluminum frames are caused primarily by the design and construction of the frame, not the differences between the alloys.

For instance, an old plain gauge frame of 6061 is a very different beast from a modern frame made with butted and hydroformed 6061.
Old 06-29-20, 10:27 AM
JamesFromBusan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
The actual properties of different aluminum alloys are generally similar. Differences between aluminum frames are caused primarily by the design and construction of the frame, not the differences between the alloys.

For instance, an old plain gauge frame of 6061 is a very different beast from a modern frame made with butted and hydroformed 6061.
So a double butted or triple butted 6061 frame would be high quality typically?

How would a double or triple butted 6061 frame compare to Columbus Alloy? Similar quality or?

I appreciated your reply, so thank you 🙏🏻
Old 06-29-20, 10:43 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I don't know that Columbus publishes properties or data on how their tubes relate to other types of tubing.

If a bike is made by a company you trust to make high-quality bikes, and they use tubing or frame parts from a tubing manufacturer known to make high quality tubes, then assume the bike will be good. The reverse can probably be said of companies that make cheap bikes or use cheap tubing.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-29-20, 11:06 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Columbus has both steel and aluminum tubes for sale.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 06-29-20, 11:08 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Two things, one Columbus owns Cinelli, and two Columbus is one of a small handful of companies making tubing with a sterling reputation. I can only think of two others with superior branded tubing like Columbus.

Anything Columbus makes is top quality and Cinelli is a great frame.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 06-30-20, 12:53 AM
JamesFromBusan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please correct me If I’m wrong, but I’m under the impression that Columbus alloy is just a fancy name for Columbus’ aluminum? Or does it have a secret chemical makeup added to their aluminum in order to make it stronger than their competitors?

I haven’t been able to find much information regarding, “Columbus Alloy Custom”.
Old 06-30-20, 04:35 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Most likely it’s just their 6061, the only things that would make it ‘custom’ would be OD, wall thickness and butting, just like steel tubes.

More important, what do the welds look like? A nice, clean ‘line of dimes’ is good, but a smooth ‘double-pass’ weld (like an old-school Klein or Cannondale) is the mark of a really well-finished frame
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 06-30-20, 08:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesFromBusan
Please correct me If I’m wrong, but I’m under the impression that Columbus alloy is just a fancy name for Columbus’ aluminum? Or does it have a secret chemical makeup added to their aluminum in order to make it stronger than their competitors?

I haven’t been able to find much information regarding, “Columbus Alloy Custom”.
Sure- tubing specs are often not revealed. So instead, its 'custom'. Sometimes, a brand really can get custom drawn tubes, but I am guessing the order has to be large or the per tube cost is going to be significant.
Columbus alloy is their aluminum tubing. 'alloy' is synonymous with aluminum in cycling.
Likes For mstateglfr: