Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek better than Cervelo?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trek better than Cervelo?

Old 08-03-20, 07:16 PM
y2zipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
What is so compelling about Di2?

That money over mechanical could go into better wheels which are generally pretty poor on complete bikes.
I kind of feel this way after shopping recently and comparing Trek, Bianchi and Giant. I bought a Trek because it fit best, but the jump in price from the ultegra to Di2 is money I could use to upgrade the handlebars and wheels.
Old 08-03-20, 07:25 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
If the bicycle has no major quality build issues within a season of riding, it would be safe to rely on it for a longer timeframe. TREK may be bigger as a business, but they have not shown me that they are superior than a smaller business when it comes to needing help with the products they've sold. If anything, a smaller business is likely to work harder to satisfy a customer or potential customer in order to established a good name for themselves.
Yeah, that would be logical but does not seem to work that way. Most likely, you won't have an issue that falls within the warranty period but something outside of it. Companies tend to behave very differently in these circumstances.
Old 08-03-20, 07:33 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I ride a Giant Defy, the Bianchi Infinito, the Trek Domane, and just purchased a second Domane. First, check the stack and reach numbers. The Caledonia is much racier than the Domane, which has a ton of stack. The Bianchi is close to the Caledonia, and I can certainly feel the difference.

Besides stack and reach, look at the wheelbase numbers. A shorter wheelbase will give you a snappier handling bike. Is that what you want? I have to really respect the Bianchi in the mountains when descending hills, it really tests my limit as an older rider. The Domane is more grounded, but gives up a little of the fun factor, and is a bit more sluggish on climbs.

Also, I am migrating to discs, wider tires, and tubeless. The lower pressure in the tubeless definitely help smooth out the ride.

Second, don’t let anyone talk you out of Di2. I have them on all three (soon to be 4) bikes. I won’t ever go mechanical again. You will love it, guaranteed.
Old 08-03-20, 07:33 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by Gundo
I'm in northwest NJ
If you’re considering Cervelo, check them out. No sales tax, discount for check/cash, service that can’t be beat,
Old 08-03-20, 07:34 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
If you’re considering Cervelo, check them out. No sales tax, discount for check/cash, service that can’t be beat,
ok thanks
Old 08-03-20, 07:37 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Lots of good information, thanks
Old 08-03-20, 09:32 PM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
From a high level they are both good brands

Trek pricing is a little different then most bikes and you won’t be able to negotiate any discounts with trek. They do have sales though periodically. I think you pay a premium for the trek name

If a beginner i agree upgrading your current bike if you can do that and you can sell your old groupset build or buy your dream bike when you know exactly what that is

If you’re looking for the best bang for the buck for something not on sale you can order a canyon online: I think 30 days to return it. LBS may not like it though; my guy actually recommended them to me bc they just want to do service and stop selling bikes he said it’s not worth it

I would for sure look at that new specialized

Like others say, look at the wheels and whole package not just groupset
Old 08-03-20, 09:59 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Is Trek considered a better bike than Cervelo? I'm looking at a Trek Domane SL7 Di2 and the new Cervelo Caledonia Di2. The specs are pretty similar but the Caledonia is $1500 cheaper than the Trek. Haven't been real impressed with my Domane SL5 as I have had problems right from the start with it. My LBS has been great and eventually got it straightened out. I bought a Trek because that is what my LBS sold in my price range. I'd like to move up to Di2 and I'm looking at these bikes. The price makes the Caledonia very attractive. I'm pretty new to cycling and not all that knowledge about the different brands. Any thoughts are appreciated.
gotta take the parts out of the equation because you can always change groups , but look at the frame and proprietary systems used , which one is easier to service or get parts for , which bottom bracket will give you the easier time installing and maintaining , look for any real tests done on the frames the stiffness , the aero , they are both adventure bikes i think so its really going to be about what you want to live with , hambini has reemed cervelo pretty good , i dont know his thoughts on trek but im sure they are not too great !!
Old 08-03-20, 10:28 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
So I have been recently shopping for a bike. I haven’t even thought about it in 10 years since I had the Serotta/Campy built up. My Colnago Master with Campy fell into my lap when a friend got divorced and moved to Sun Valley. So I didn’t shop for it.

I guess this is pertinent because the OP is shopping. My impression being a somewhat new shopper is that with a few exceptions all the major bike companies are now bike design companies not really bicycle companies. There is a production chain with many points of failure and a severe lack of supervision. Giant is making frames for a bunch of brands. Merida is making virtually all of Specialized bikes and Merida which makes great bikes won’t sell them here. So this leads me to find a bike, in this case carbon, which is made by the company that sells it. That’s just how I feel about it.

My choices are few. Allied which makes everything in Arkansas and Parlee which makes it’s most expensive frames in Massachusetts. In Italy, Sarto and Basso make all of their bikes in northern Italy. Sarto is by far the most exclusive bike maker in the world with nose bleeding pricing and long wait times. Basso is a very well known company that also makes carbon components for aero space, like Campy. Basso is non custom and very reasonable actually when purchased in Italy and shipped. Colnago C64 is made in Italy in-house and that is on the radar. I think the Pinarello Dogma is made in house still. Too flashy though but there are brand new F10 frames around going for less than 3K. Must think more about that.

Given the bikes I have I cannot spend 4,5,6,7 k for a bike designed here and made in some secret place by god knows who. Same for groupsets and other components. I know its crazy but I remember talking to Ben Serotta and I still have the inspection card signed by the guy that welded my bike and I know all the Campy parts were made in that one factory in Italy and after 10 years everything has held up, just a few chains, brake pads, etc, normal stuff.

So being out of the market for so long showed me how much it has changed and how much I don’t like it.

Last edited by Mulberry20; 08-03-20 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 10:49 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Cervelo is a good brand. I freaking love my R3. I built it with a threaded BB so I don’t have the press fit issues, but that’s easy to overcome and I’ll tell you, Cervelo isn’t going to sell bikes with faulty BBs. If it starts freaking down the road, replace it.
Old 08-05-20, 05:15 AM
Mulberry20

You may want to look at the Parlee Chebacco. This guy has a stellar reputation.

https://parleecycles.com/chebacco/
Old 08-06-20, 01:53 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
Cervelo are no longer located in Toronto or owned by the original owners.

Founded by Gerard Vrooman and Phil White, engineering students at McGill University in Montreal, the company was sold to the Dutch-based Pon Holdings in 2012, but the headquarters and design facility stayed in Toronto on Leswyn Road in Toronto. Both founders left the company, and now the last remaining Canadian connection is gone.

Most of their manufacturing has moved to China resulting in lower quality control. Their reputation has taken a little bit of a hit. Some of the bottom bracket issues are due to irregular ovals for the cavity housing the bottom bracket.
Cervelo is moving its headquarters from Toronto to Irvine, California. This is a big plus. Closer to the consumers in the U.S. and it will shore up its brand with customer support. As far as size of the company, Cervelo has deep pockets with what you have said, Pon Holdings. Compared with Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Cervelo may seem small but with Pon Holdings, its formidable, even with those three.
Old 08-06-20, 02:11 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
You may want to think about just upgrading the components on your Trek SL5 to Di2. The difference between the SL5 and 7 are the components and the wheelset.

This option is not for everyone and may not work for you but it may when you start adding up the costs. Good luck in whatever you decide.
I like this idea. I'm sure I'd go down a number of wrong roads and end up paying more, but I like the upgrade mode if your current frame works for you.
Old 08-07-20, 04:19 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Is Trek considered a better bike than Cervelo? I'm looking at a Trek Domane SL7 Di2 and the new Cervelo Caledonia Di2. The specs are pretty similar but the Caledonia is $1500 cheaper than the Trek. Haven't been real impressed with my Domane SL5 as I have had problems right from the start with it. My LBS has been great and eventually got it straightened out. I bought a Trek because that is what my LBS sold in my price range. I'd like to move up to Di2 and I'm looking at these bikes. The price makes the Caledonia very attractive. I'm pretty new to cycling and not all that knowledge about the different brands. Any thoughts are appreciated.
I wouldn't get caught dead on a Cervelo though many people ride and like them.https://www.hambini.com/hambini-roasts-cervelo/ Remember that Hambini is in the business of knocking things. But "void" is a bad word for bicycles. Here is what can happen with that"
Old 08-07-20, 05:26 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
I wouldn't get caught dead on a Cervelo though many people ride and like them.https://www.hambini.com/hambini-roasts-cervelo/ Remember that Hambini is in the business of knocking things. But "void" is a bad word for bicycles. Here is what can happen with that"
Is the reason a Colnago failure is more relevant to Cervelo than Trek because Colnago and Cervelo both start with C?
Old 08-07-20, 05:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Is the reason a Colnago failure is more relevant to Cervelo than Trek because Colnago and Cervelo both start with C?
... and end with an "o".
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-07-20, 05:43 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
... and end with an "o".
Old 08-07-20, 05:43 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
steel has carbon in it.
Old 08-08-20, 09:13 AM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Personally I would pass on any bike with a press-fit bottom bracket.

What is so compelling about Di2?
Di2 is worth every last cent. It doesn't mean non-Di2 Ultegra is bad (It's not), it's just that I cannot possibly imagine buying another bike without it - yes it is that good. Having to completely eliminate cable issues from powertrain tuning ALONE is worth the upgrade in my opinion. And the speed of the shifts, the ability to rapid downshift while braking, the reliability of the shifts. I sat on the fence about buying it for my new bike and within 2-3 days of riding I was extremely pissed. Not because I bought it, but I had waited so long to get Di2.
Likes For basscadet:
Old 08-08-20, 09:45 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Cervelo isn’t going to sell bikes with faulty BBs.
https://www.hambini.com/hambini-roasts-cervelo/

In this example, it is misaligned to the point his replacement wouldn't go in properly on a customer's bike. He has to re-machine the frame. It is one of his more sober (and long-winded) expositions.
Old 08-08-20, 01:17 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Cervelo isn’t going to sell bikes with faulty BBs.
It would seem that many manufacturers are suffering from a lack of effective Quality Control, it's not limited to Cervelo.
Failure to catch, during manufacturing, an out of spec BB in a frame is bad.
Problem seems to be, that by the time the customer discovers the issue, the manufacturer may consider it to not be a warranty defect.

I suspect it will take a good lawyer to point out the error of their ways.
Nothing says "may we please have frames that meet spec" quite like, having to replace several thousand lifetime warranty frames that don't !

In the meantime, I'm happy with the silence of the Hambini BB in my R3.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-08-20, 01:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Is there a frame manufacturing company making Cervelo. Exclusively , Or did they hire someone else to make them under that brand name..?
Old 08-08-20, 01:39 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Is there a frame manufacturing company making Cervelo. Exclusively , Or did they hire someone else to make them under that brand name..?
I think you'll find most subcontract out of the country.
"out of the country".... hows that for "PC"

Barry
Old 08-08-20, 03:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

They assemble at least some of them in Santa Cruz at the Santa Cruz bikes assembly plant.
Old 08-08-20, 04:59 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by fietsbob
80% of carbon frames are made by Giant or Merida. Merida does not sell its bikes here because of a non-compete with Specialized. Who really knows if they care about quality control with subcontractored brands.

I also learned something in my shopping and research. The team bikes that you see racing and competing are in many cases other brands. Canyon for example has team bikes made by Sarto in Italy. Pinarello makes bikes for several other teams as does Basso.

I haven’t shopped for a bike in 12 years and I am now. The only carbon bike I am comfortable buying is a Pinarello Dogma that is made in Italy or a Basso which is made in Italy. There are few carbon manufactures in the USA like Allied in Arkansas and Parlee in Mass. and I am still considering them.

Last edited by Mulberry20; 08-08-20 at 05:02 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.