Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Best way to pitch hybrids with 2.4" tires?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?
View Poll Results: Way to pitch 2.4" tires
gravel hybrid
16.67%
adventurer/tourer hybrid
83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Best way to pitch hybrids with 2.4" tires?

Old 09-07-20, 02:38 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
I'm tempted to think it depends manufacturer is doing it. I'm not a fan of the price of the Surly Bridge Club but saw some very positive comments from tourists. If a model like this were specifically advertised with aluminum frame and front and rear racks with V-brakes, well who knows.

Kona made the Dew City with V-brakes but used a bottom bracket that was criticized online and smaller than the rest of the Dew line. So yeah, maybe it didn't sell.
I'd like to expand on what I said. In reality, some of the rigid fork mountain bikes that were out in the last several years (Giant ATX Lite, Marin Pine Mountain & Raleigh Talus) were not "true" mountain bikes. I mean in the sense that it was clear that they used suspension-corrected forks. This from an aesthetic point of view may have been a turn off right away. There aren't that many people complaining about the Raleigh Redux. As a matter of fact, one person on Youtube showed he installed 2.4" tires on his (even though clearance might be a safety issue).

One thing is clear for me though. Whether it's a mountain bike or hybrid with 2.4" tires, I'd like non-suspension corrected forks. I suppose if someone did start a bike company selling something like this it may be a niche market but so is Rivbike, VeloOrange etc. Don't see why it can't be done mail order or even with a few dealers.
Old 09-07-20, 02:40 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
So what is the bike you saw on YouTube?
Uh, well actually this person commented in the comments section without naming the bike, maybe a Koga he reviewed?
Old 09-24-20, 12:55 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

I just saw the Norco Indie 3 in person in a store and it looks like it can take slick tires around 2.4" like the Schwalbe Hurricane but 2.35" with large knobs may not work. Even though it doesn't have V-brakes it looks like a pretty nice bike to try 2.4" tires. The top part of the rear triangle and fork have more clearance which means fenders might go over large tires.
I didn't look to see if it had a chainguard but I know the Shimano Tourney 46/30 crankset (on the Indie 2) has 11cm distance between the 4 holes. I ordered a chainguard like that but it might take a month to receive it. (I ordered that crankset to install it on a cheap gravel bike I bought on clearance.)
Old 11-14-20, 05:55 PM
UberIM

Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been thinking about what you're asking for.
If you don't care about frame material Salsa Fargo seems to fit the bill
Drop handle bars
disc brakes
Can go from 29 x 2.0 to 3.0
1 x 11 or 2 x 11 if I understand the website
For me it could be the total package
EXCEPT, it doesn't come in a Carbon frame
Would love the above in a Carbon frame