Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Loss of Fitness Due to Possible COVID19? Or Age? Or Weight Gain?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 08-11-20, 04:27 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts

Has anyone who recovered from the 'Rona gotten back on the bike? If so, has it affected your fitness?

Been riding with B - B+ intensity for the last few weeks (mostly indoor), hoping to regain some fitness, but it's suddenly much, much slower and more difficult than it was last year.
No Vo2 max measurement, but I measure my general fitness by comparing my AVG HR to my AVG Wattage over a workout on the rollers with resistance fan; (so I'm fairly confident in the accuracy and consistency of conditions.)

I used to regularly average 110 avg Watts over my avg bpm (e.g. if I averaged 250W, my avg hr was 140bpm.)
But lately I'm feeling pretty good if I can eek out 90 avg Watts over (averaging 240W with an avg HR of 150).

Back in mid-March, I caught either the worst flu of my life when the Covid hit the fan, (though the clod who hugged me immediately after a business trip across the country when the Covid was first hitting the fan, tested negative for COVID19 antibodies about a month after getting me sick [which immediately casts possible (but not certain) doubt on it being COVID19]) or had the 'Rona back then.

Which of these is the most likely culprit for my $#itness?:
Age, (turned 52 in May, but was feeling strong and fit very recently.)
Weight (gained 15+ pounds during quarantine.) Aside from carrying it around, does the added weight really burden your Vo2?
COVID19 (unconfirmed, but can't rule it out.)
Old 08-12-20, 12:37 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
After any major illness (or injury) it's common to have to build back up. If you've been off the bike for 3-4 months, expect to take 6-12 months to get back to where you were -- if you're lucky and work at it.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-12-20, 01:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
It really doesn't matter what the culprit is. All those things need to be addressed anyhow. Even age.

As I get older I find that I'm not the invincible person I used to be. So I changed some eating, exercise and other habits I felt were not helping me.

Probably a lot of heat where you are at. That'll sap the energy out of anyone.

But for certain, be talking to a doctor. Let them know all your concerns. Don't make them guess what is bothering you like my wife used to do when she went to the doctor.
Old 08-12-20, 02:00 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Have you considered psychological factors ?
Old 08-12-20, 02:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Okay, that's not fair. I just looked at the weather there. Did I get the right info? It hasn't been even 80°F this week! And Palm Springs and other parts of southern California 100°F.

What's the reason for that? I've never been to the coastal part of S. CA. Do you get cool air rolling down the hills or is it just a cool current in the water off shore?
Old 08-12-20, 03:17 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Coastal Calif is blessed by the cool Pacific, current flows south along the coast from the Gulf of Alaska, so water temp barely hits 70 here in Aug. So we get this wonderful thing called the marine layer. The coast is frequently overcast in the morning, it burns off late morning and the sea breeze kicks in from the interior heating up, causing air to rise pulling cool air off the ocean. I live in OC and we haven't used our AC much at all this summer. Lows of about 60, highs often 80 or less. Fantastic riding weather.

As to the OP, time off the bike and 15 lbs can certainly do this, in addition to illness. Sounds like you're recovered, maybe you did have corona, testing seems to be somewhat inaccurate. I haven't been really sick since I had H1N1 in 2009 before I got into riding, so I don't have much experience recovering from this sort of thing.
Old 08-13-20, 11:36 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by pdlamb
After any major illness (or injury) it's common to have to build back up. If you've been off the bike for 3-4 months, expect to take 6-12 months to get back to where you were -- if you're lucky and work at it.

Thanks. You're right; I've had plenty of broken bones and illnesses before, but asking this question made me realize it's probably all of those things. It's discouraging to work so hard to ride 30 miles when I used to ride 70 or more so much faster and more easily. But it's even more discouraging to give in and not even try.

Originally Posted by Iride01
It really doesn't matter what the culprit is. All those things need to be addressed anyhow. Even age.

As I get older I find that I'm not the invincible person I used to be. So I changed some eating, exercise and other habits I felt were not helping me.

Probably a lot of heat where you are at. That'll sap the energy out of anyone.

But for certain, be talking to a doctor. Let them know all your concerns. Don't make them guess what is bothering you like my wife used to do when she went to the doctor.

You just reminded me that I learned last year that I have a genetic heart defect on top of all this. Like my father and sister, I have a leaky heart valve that briefly lets blood flow backwards, which makes for **** efficiency. As soon as my family found out, they expressed concern that I should stop cycling. 8D I've been trying to suicide myself via heart attack since I was 19 without any luck. Suddenly stopping would only make it more brazen.
"Violence is the only language the heart understands."

Originally Posted by holytrousers
Have you considered psychological factors ?

Now that you mention it, the whole goddam world does seem to have gone crazy.

Old 08-14-20, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

In what time period has the world ever been sane?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-14-20, 09:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Back when I was a lad, before all these young whippersnappers came along and started trying to screw everything up. Just like my dad said. And before him my grandfather.
Old 08-14-20, 11:43 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Only in the past that we delusionally think existed. The delusions eventually happen to every generation.
Likes For Just Mark:
Old 08-14-20, 03:21 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Okay, that's not fair. I just looked at the weather there. Did I get the right info? It hasn't been even 80°F this week! And Palm Springs and other parts of southern California 100°F.
What's the reason for that? I've never been to the coastal part of S. CA. Do you get cool air rolling down the hills or is it just a cool current in the water off shore?
That's another thing contributing to my lack of fitness: living here for 25+ years has decidedly made me soft. If it makes you feel any better it was 94 degrees with humidity on the coast on my ride today. Happily I live up on a hill with unimpeded sea breezes, so it's under 80 here with the windows open.

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Coastal Calif is blessed by the cool Pacific, current flows south along the coast from the Gulf of Alaska, so water temp barely hits 70 here in Aug. So we get this wonderful thing called the marine layer. The coast is frequently overcast in the morning, it burns off late morning and the sea breeze kicks in from the interior heating up, causing air to rise pulling cool air off the ocean. I live in OC and we haven't used our AC much at all this summer. Lows of about 60, highs often 80 or less. Fantastic riding weather.
As to the OP, time off the bike and 15 lbs can certainly do this, in addition to illness. Sounds like you're recovered, maybe you did have corona, testing seems to be somewhat inaccurate. I haven't been really sick since I had H1N1 in 2009 before I got into riding, so I don't have much experience recovering from this sort of thing.
I was born in North Dakota and spent 7 years stationed in some of the ugliest places the Army had to offer (Fort Hood, TX) So I chuckle at people who've lived here their whole lives who whine when it gets over 90. The only downside to living here is the best part of many vacations is coming back home. 8D
Old 08-14-20, 04:36 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Bah!! You're not sick, you're just out of shape, and looking for an excuse to be lazy with your riding. Get up and out early, pack a lunch and ride an extra 20 miles. Push yourself to more and more. 52? Double Bah! We're in our 60's here (I turn 68 in two months) with high humidity and temps around 90, feels like 105. Hydrate and ride.
Likes For DeadGrandpa: