Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hayes Hydraulic disc brakes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-12-20, 11:54 PM
rockyslayer02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own an 02 rocky mountain slayer with hayes hydraulic brakes. the brakes squeak when under a lot of pressure like going downhill on the trails, and I can kinda feel the squeaking. Just wondering if I might need to bleed the brakes? Or is it something else? I just bought the bike a few days ago and the owner hadn't ridden it for a long time. Any help appreciated thanks.
Old 08-13-20, 04:58 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
When is the last time you changed the pads? Noisy disc brakes (on cars as well!) are generally a sign of worn pads. No need to bleed the brakes if the lever feel is fine.
Old 08-13-20, 05:17 AM
mikezs
Noob

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009, Ridgeback Nemesis (Afine 8) 2011

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depending on the brake material, sounds like the pads might have glazed. If you didn't want to spend any money, you could take them out and give them a sand (put sandpaper on flat surface, rub pads on them) and reinstall (then re-bed in). Otherwise I would get a fresh set.
Old 08-13-20, 09:40 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
The squealing is probably at the pad to rotor interface, and not related to the hydraulic system (ie don't need to bleed, unless the levers feel mushy all the time). In addition to new pads, you might want to clean the rotor too. Wipe off any dirt/grime, then remove any grease with denatured or rubbing alcohol. The alcohols dry "cleanly" and do not leave a residue behind. In fact, try cleaning the rotors first and see if that helps. My policy is to do the cheap/easy things first. However, you may want to also get new pads since you don't know the history of them, and braking is a good feature.