Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why so much hate for Gatorskins?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why so much hate for Gatorskins?

Old 09-02-20, 10:29 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
We’re not whining; we’re laughing too.
all the hassles of tubulars, without the benefits.

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-02-20, 10:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
For all the obvious reasons, I haven't ridden Gatorskins for years, but for a long while I rode Conti 4 Seasons on most of my road bikes (I still do on one of them). I considered them a good compromise between flat protection and performance, and I still think that's true. Then I switched to 5000s, and though I absolutely love their performance, I get quite a few more flats. I think I've had 5 or 6 this spring/summer, and I'm not doing extraordinary mileage (about 800 miles/month). For the improved ride quality, the trade-off is worth it to me, but definitely in my experience the Conti 5000s are more flat-prone than tires with more protection.
IME depends on the type and quantity of road debris. But yes, true. When we ride the tandem in the wet in winter, I do get more flats from flints which accumulate if they sand the roads after freezes or a bit of snow. The flints stick to the wet tires. I used to put on 4 Seasons or similar, but I've quit bothering and just change the flats if we get them. They're rare enough to make that a smaller bother than running special winter tires. We always carry a spare, so changes are really quick. In summer the difference is not noticeable because the stuff I need to miss is more obvious. I've made lots of mistakes, ridden right over glass or auto debris and not flatted or had a piece of embedded glass to pick out later - usually. That's the amazing thing about the Conti rubber on the 4K and 5000. They also don't cut as easily as many tires do.

I notice that when I get a substantial flat from wear in the center of the rear tandem tire, still nowhere near the cords, that I definitely get more flats. I don't know why. I swap tires and put new on the front. I think it's interesting how quickly we get that flat on the tandem compared with my single. I bet riders who put down a lot of power go through more tires than we duffers do.
Old 09-02-20, 10:52 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
IME depends on the type and quantity of road debris. But yes, true. When we ride the tandem in the wet in winter, I do get more flats from flints which accumulate if they sand the roads after freezes or a bit of snow. The flints stick to the wet tires. I used to put on 4 Seasons or similar, but I've quit bothering and just change the flats if we get them. They're rare enough to make that a smaller bother than running special winter tires. We always carry a spare, so changes are really quick. In summer the difference is not noticeable because the stuff I need to miss is more obvious. I've made lots of mistakes, ridden right over glass or auto debris and not flatted or had a piece of embedded glass to pick out later - usually. That's the amazing thing about the Conti rubber on the 4K and 5000. They also don't cut as easily as many tires do.

I notice that when I get a substantial flat from wear in the center of the rear tandem tire, still nowhere near the cords, that I definitely get more flats. I don't know why. I swap tires and put new on the front. I think it's interesting how quickly we get that flat on the tandem compared with my single. I bet riders who put down a lot of power go through more tires than we duffers do.
Funny thing - we all fear glass, but when I'm by the side of the road, picking out that hard bit that gave me the puncture, I find that far more of my flats are small hard stones - what I think you are calling "flints"?
Old 09-02-20, 10:54 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I'm not racing anyone so why do I give two cents what tire you choose to go faster? So what I lose some watts. I'm in it for my health and with arthritic hands, the last thing I want to do is be changing tire tubes on the side of the road. Since I switched to 28 mm tires from 25 mm and adjusted the psi to 85 front and 95 rear, I do not find the ride harsh but firm. I got 8,000 miles out of one set and still had miles to use on the front without one flat. Hard to beat that.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-02-20, 10:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I'm not racing anyone so why do I give two cents what tire you choose to go faster? So what I lose some watts. I'm in it for my health and with arthritic hands, the last thing I want to do is be changing tire tubes on the side of the road. Since I switched to 28 mm tires from 25 mm and adjusted the psi to 85 front and 95 rear, I do not find the ride harsh but firm. I got 8,000 miles out of one set and still had miles to use on the front without one flat. Hard to beat that.
It's been mentioned multiple times - there are many options that don't seem to be meaningfully less puncture resistant while offering better rr, feel, grip, etc.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-02-20, 11:32 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

If you don't "give two cents' about why we choose what we choose, why are you bothering to post in this thread? Nobody said that they were going to pry those Gatorskins out of your cold dead hands.

Do whatever floats your boat, but what I don't get is your tone that apparently judges other peoples' choices and priorities.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-02-20, 11:37 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Chubby715
I'm riding Gatorskin tubulars on Zipp 303s and don't have any issues with them regarding rolling resistance or bad handling. And yeah, my brand new bike cost $7+ so I'm laughing at all you haters who whine about people using them on expensive bikes.
lol wut
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-02-20, 11:37 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Well, no, steel drum testing is not actually relevant to real road conditions. That is the lesson we've learned over the last few years, and it's why many, many cyclists have reduced their tire pressures. We now know that if the road surface has any sort of roughness, then a hard, high-pressure tire will cause a loss of speed from bouncing over the irregularities on the road.
Incorrect. The data from steel drum testing does translate into real world results as well, as per RChung (and if you wanna tell him he is wrong, be my guest. I know enough not to argue with RChung, especially when he has the data and I dont).

The reason people have reduced the tire pressures a little is to compensate for vibration losses - and this is primarily a factor of tire pressure, and not the actual tire itself (although the suppleness of the tire casing plays a role here: the more supple the tire casing, the lower the vibration losses. And guess how supple the Gatorskin sidewalls are? Not very). The effect of vibration losses holds true across tires, and does not invalidate the rolling resistance side of things.

Gatorskins are about 20W slower than a fast tire like the GP5k. And they are most miserably lifeless, dead-feeling tires I have had the misfortune of riding. If you are commuting or riding in crap conditions, sure, it doesnt matter. But for typical sports cycling, there are so many better options where you trade off a little bit of puncture resistance for a much, much more enjoyable ride. To say that "no one can feel the difference" is absurd. Plenty of us can. We didnt just wake up one morning and decided to beat up on this tire for no reason at all.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 09-02-20, 11:39 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The guy you're talking to is basically today's Sheldon Brown.
I may not have worked for Oscar Mayer, but I know bologna when I see it. If you don't have anything of value to add to the discussion, please stop posting. My point still stands: the person I was responding to is operating on lame assumptions & guesses instead of actual data. Gatorskins are a fine tire that provide soft, supple grip when inflated correctly, and they deliver best-in-class flat protection. That's why they are so popular in the community.
Old 09-02-20, 11:41 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Funny thing - we all fear glass, but when I'm by the side of the road, picking out that hard bit that gave me the puncture, I find that far more of my flats are small hard stones - what I think you are calling "flints"?
Yes.
Old 09-02-20, 11:43 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
You mad, bro?
He a beginner, bro.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 09-02-20, 11:44 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Incorrect. The data from steel drum testing does translate into real world results as well, as per RChung (and if you wanna tell him he is wrong, be my guest. I know enough not to argue with RChung, especially when he has the data and I dont).

The reason people have reduced the tire pressures a little is to compensate for vibration losses - and this is primarily a factor of tire pressure, and not the actual tire itself (although the suppleness of the tire casing plays a role here: the more supple the tire casing, the lower the vibration losses. And guess how supple the Gatorskin sidewalls are? Not very). The effect of vibration losses holds true across tires, and does not invalidate the rolling resistance side of things.

Gatorskins are about 20W slower than a fast tire like the GP5k. And they are most miserably lifeless, dead-feeling tires I have had the misfortune of riding. If you are commuting or riding in crap conditions, sure, it doesnt matter. But for typical sports cycling, there are so many better options where you trade off a little bit of puncture resistance for a much, much more enjoyable ride. To say that "no one can feel the difference" is absurd. Plenty of us can. We didnt just wake up one morning and decided to beat up on this tire for no reason at all.
I think part of the confusion is the conflation of steel drum testing for tire-specific RR (valid) and steel drum testing for ideal pressure for RR (probably not). In the latter, it specifically counters the Zipp data. And often, people cite the BRR steel drum testing to tell people they're dumb for not overinflating their tires, which makes it a touchy subject overall.
Old 09-02-20, 11:44 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I may not have worked for Oscar Mayer, but I know bologna when I see it. If you don't have anything of value to add to the discussion, please stop posting. My point still stands: the person I was responding to is operating on lame assumptions & guesses instead of actual data. Gatorskins are a fine tire that provide soft, supple grip when inflated correctly, and they deliver best-in-class flat protection. That's why they are so popular in the community.
This is sage advice. You should reflect on it for a moment.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-02-20, 11:51 AM
noodle soup

perhaps you should be the one that stops posting
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-02-20, 11:51 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

If you value puncture resistance more than ride quality or speed, then yes, these may very well work for you - no one is disputing this. The other guy just made some weird claims about the performance of Gatorskins (and in the context of these tires, the word "performance" is used in the loosest of senses) and that's what got called out.
Old 09-02-20, 11:52 AM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Politely, stop talking about things you don’t have a clue about.
I have only been talking about things I know a great deal about. I have not said anything that is factually incorrect.

Gators versus Vittoria Corsa TL is easily over 20w a pair. Maybe closer to 30w. 30w is 10% of a strong rec rider’s hour power.
Citations needed. You can't just make those claims without showing the actual measurements from the actual tires via a rigorous study.

Blah blah blah, power argument that is a repeat of what BoraxKid already said. Aero power is nonlinear.
I never said aero power was linear. What I said, and what still is true (and always will be) is that the power needed to travel at a certain speed has much more to do with air resistance than it does rolling resistance of the tires. The 10W some other poster claimed Gatorskins cost is on the order of magnitude of changing your hand position and tucking in your elbows. The power differences you are talking about, going from 20 to 30 mph, are an order of magnitude larger. The tires simply get swamped by the aero factors at that point.

You have zero clue. Give up. {No, I don't think I will} Some of us race time trial and do the weird experiments you see places like the GCN show screwing up for the sake of entertainment. I own all I need short of the wind tunnel.

Try again home slice.
And now you've lost all credibility due to ad hominem attacks and absurd claims. If you actually own everything "short of a wind tunnel" then why are you buying Gatorskins instead of top of the line, premium tires for your precious TT bike? Gatorskins aren't marketed to your ilk, because they aren't designed for TT bikes. They are designed for people that want a reliable, durable, flat-resistant tire that can still be supple and grippy in the corners, all while staying budget conscious. If you're out for pure performance, no, Gatorskins are not top of their class, but if you want to save some money and spend less time fixing flats, all while getting racing-quality grip, then Gatorskins are for you. It's literally just that simple.
Old 09-02-20, 11:53 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This is sage advice. You should reflect on it for a moment.
I'm waiting for him to say something useful, If he reaches 250 posts first, he gets blocked.,
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-02-20, 11:54 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
you've lost all credibility due to absurd claims
Yep.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-02-20, 11:56 AM
BoraxKid

Originally Posted by HTupolev
I guess I haven't done any precise testing on the speed, but I'm not making any assumptions when I say that they're "stiff." Here's me a few minutes ago holding a Pasela and a Gatorskin in my hand:

Not massively different in tire size, both wire bead. The Gatorskin feels a lot stiffer pushing on it with my fingers.

And it's not like I haven't ridden Gatorskins before.
That doesn't look like an actual Gatorskin tire in your hand in the first picture. Also, what the tire feels like in your hand, off the bike, means less than nothing to performance. That's a pretty obvious fallacy you've just fallen into. Like I said, when properly inflated, Gatorskins are quite supple and grippy--just as several others in this very thread and elsewhere around the world have reported.
Old 09-02-20, 12:01 PM
noodle soup

That doesn't look like an actual Gatorskin tire in your hand in the first picture. Also, what the tire feels like in your hand, off the bike, means less than nothing to performance. That's a pretty obvious fallacy you've just fallen into. Like I said, when properly inflated, Gatorskins are quite supple and grippy--just as several others in this very thread and elsewhere around the world have reported.
More proof that you have no clue.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-02-20, 12:02 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I have only been talking about things I know a great deal about.
Yet you were so wildly incorrect in that Star Wars discussion last week... A swing and a miss.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-02-20, 12:19 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I've seen so many derogatory comments on these. What are the qualities that they exhibit that are so horrible? Not saying they're good or not, just curious.

I put a 700x28c Gatorskin on rear of my cyclocross bike and a 28 Vittoria Ziffiro IV on the front to turn it into a road bike this year. The Ziffiro was a little more than half the price of the Gator, and has lower rolling resistance in reference charts. My flats are almost always on the rear, so I wanted something tough back there.

I like that the Gator doesn't pick up grit; a quick wipe with a paper towel after a ride to look for cuts or embedded objects and it looks like new. The Ziffiro has enough tread that it picks up enough grit that I have to scrape bad spots with a plastic tool to make sure there's no glass or metal in there.

I realize I'm running inexpensive tires (the Gator is the most expensive tire I've ever bought), but what's so bad about the Gatorskins that they inspire so much hate?
They suck 20W more than a decent tire at 20 MPH which is a 10% effort increase that can cut endurance from an hour to ten minutes, have a lousy ride, and aren't much more flat resistant when you're running over things like tire wire, glass, and thorns which won't damage your sidewalls.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 09-02-20, 12:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
I have only been talking about things I know a great deal about.
This wins BF Post of the Week!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-02-20, 12:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Yet you were so wildly incorrect in that Star Wars discussion last week... A swing and a miss.
Careful, that thread might disappear just like the epic pump thread.
Old 09-02-20, 12:26 PM
MinnMan

I see, BF has changed and you are the new sheriff. Yup. you've got 190 posts here and this is your world to sculpt as you deem proper. Seattle Forrest , with his 21,000 posts is the old guard and should retire. Get out of town before sundown, Seattle Forrest, you hear me?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.